Body armor considerations: Poll, how many wear body armor?

leadcounsel

I carry a gun, legally, which begs the question that I do want to be prepared to use deadly force if presented with deadly force. Deadly force can come in many packages, one of which is commonly a gun.

Now, I have the offensive feature of my "defensive strategy" planned out. Take cover, assess the situation, draw if necessary, etc. depending on the circumstances. Sometimes it might be simply draw, aim, shoot, repeat steps 2 and 3. Anyway, I'm comfortable with the offensive part.

Now, nobody expects to get into a gunfight, and everyone here would avoid it if they could predict it. But the fact that we all carry leads me to believe we all think it is a real possibility. About 6 months ago I came to the conclusion that my "defensive strategy" left me rather vulnerable to serious or deadly bodily injury if I have to draw and shoot. If I'm really presented with deadly force, I want to survive! And if deadly force can often come in hot lead, a vest is an inexpensive way to survive! So, I purchased a threat level IIA vest from www.bulletproofme.com for under $500, or the cost of a typical handgun. They treated me well, were informative, and I really like the vest and wear it regularly.

Alot of these posts discuss the merits of one caliber vs. another, whether to carry a second magazine or whatnot. My opinion is that next to your pistol of choice (e.g. what are you comfortable with, accurate with, and what is reliable and in your budget), a vest is the most important thing you can do.

Also, the vest is handy to put on to investigate those noises in the night and wear to the range.

So, can people comment on whether they own a vest, whether they wear it and how regularly.

I own one. I don't wear it regularly (= at all). It was a bought for me by a friend. He was really into the Y2K thing. Great friend, alittle nuts though. I guess that's why he and I get along so well, I've been told I'm alittle nuts also :D.

I guess that one could use the vest like their carry weapon. You never know but you're glad you were ready for it.

Me, I'll just run for cover if able since mine is an older heavy vest and could be worn in the winter okay but not in the summer. It's also a III with a IV trama plate. Hey, he had the money and I'm not complaining.

Wayne

Since mine is a IIA, it's easily concealable. Looks like I put on about 10 lbs of upper body weight. Makes movement alittle more awkward, but not a big deal. Very hot weather makes it uncomfortable and I stop wearing it on the 90+% days.

I would like to get one of those tactical vests for home defense situations someday, like a IIIA or a IV.

For now my IIA works.

I am planning to buy a bullet proof vest and want something that is concealable and light enough to be comfortable to wear in hot weather while still be fully protected.

Does anyone know what vests police officers and that in Arizona, Nevada, and all those places wear when its always 100+ degrees out?

I think they just tough it out. www.bulletproofme.com has a tool that connects to cruiser's AC vents and vents cool air from the AC under the vest to help cops cool off. Also works in the winter for the heater, but I can't ever see needed the heater! Since cops are often in their cars, not a big deal.

Newer vests are getting thinner and thinner and lighter and more breathable(but double the price)

$500 bucks! I just duct tape steel plates to my chest! And carry a brie fcase with more plates to cover my head. Kevlar is for sissys! ;)

Seriously though I would buy if I could afford.

I changed jobs to reduce the need to carry. I would move if I thought a vest was needed. I think the best way to survive is to not be there. I carry, but I also avoid the rougher parts of town and try to avoid crowds. If I see the local "tough guys" hanging out at 7-11, I go down the street to the quik-trip. I actually do own a kevlar frag vest, but have never worn it. Its just a left over from a former life. I like military stuff and have a bunch of odds and ends around the house. Sadly, no full auto weapons though :(

Don't own one, . . . probably won't either.

I got this idea that a shootout is my last option, . . . lots of others to try first, . . . vest would just slow me down.

I had to wear a flak jacket in Nam, . . . didn't like it then, . . . can get along without it now (I hope). :D

May God bless,
Dwight

I just remembered that I bought a Vietnam era flak jacket for $5 at a garage sale about 4 years ago. Not good for much, probably, but I'd put it on over my level IIA in a pinch.

I find it interesting that of the handful of people that replied thus far, presumably they all carry a heater, which means they anticipate, or at least are prepared for lethal compact. Yet, I fear that none of them have taken a realistic or serious approach to saving their own lives. I ask why, really?

Cops, for instance, regularly wear vests and vests save many lives.

If you draw on someone, many times it's because they have a gun, which means you may get shot at.

I'm finding it difficult to reconcile the idea of carrrying and not wearing a vest, yet I did it for a couple years myself. I think I just didn't want to pony up the $500 or thought I wouldn't wear it. But, after buying it I'm glad I did and wear it regularly. I hope I can convince at least ONE person!

I have one, well military issue,made by point blank and i have seen them take some lickins and keep on tickin. I personally don't like the vest the way it is issued so I take the plates out and put them in a modular blackhawk plate holder. They are rated to take multiple 7.62 rds. And from my experience they work better that i ever thought they would. i was very skeptical at first but I am a believer now.

The gun is so you can get your ass to safety. Sticking around for a fight is just a bad decision. That being said, many consumer vests will likely fail in case of multiple hits near the same area.
There is a difference between making a sacrifice and being prepared and changing your life so that you have a tactical refrigerator that can stop a .308 behind the door in case the badguys come at you at night when you are craving pimento loaf.

I'm finding it difficult to reconcile the idea of carrrying and not wearing a vest,
Statistically speaking, you would be more likely to avert a fatal injury by wearing a full-face helmet while driving than wearing a ballistic vest while CCWing as a civilian.

In Florida, it is very uncommon to hear of a CCW civilian being killed in a shootout. Using the low end statistic of 500,000 incidents per year of civilians using firearms to defend themselves against crimes, the vast majority of which result in no shots fired, it is just not necessary for a civilian to wear a vest in public.

Don't have one. I'd like to get one, but it is so low on the list of priorities that I'll probably never actually do it. I'll just stick with winding layers of duct tape around my torso until it's an inch thick.

NRAhab, they do make anti knife vests...the prison systems are the main customers for these, but most of the big name armor makers produce a model for that. some will stop only knifes and the more expensive ones stop both treats.(ballistic and pointy objects) then you get into the "regular" types made from kevlar, stop bullets within their rating yet dont stop ice picks very well.

I own two vests both are LII and have a small variety of ballistic plates that goes in the plate pockets. I am Second Chance vest save #802 ...really really bad car wreck(I was the passenger officer) broadsided by a large penski rental truck right square of my car door(traveling at approx 50mph/no attempt to use brakes)..they found my glasses in the truck grill! and it bent the frame of the issue GP100 Ruger I had on...in fact it left the entire outline of the revolver and holster bruised into my side. The vest held me together and when I woke up(and was able to get air back into my lungs) I was able to call the dispatcher on the radio to send help....we had to be cut out of the car. there was also
a laceration just above my right uniform pocket that cut the shirt and 4 layers of kevlar for about 6 inches......the vest kept me alive that day.
they arent just for bullets....for that matter if you ride a motorcycle it one of the best things you could have on.

I own 2 (recently upgraded to lighter/thinner). I were mine every day at

work (armored car messenger), but don't on my own time. Even the better

ones are uncomfortable for casual wear. While at home it stays under

my bed in case I need to check out a strange sound.

If you wear one on your own time, does your significant other?

Yes, LEO's wear them, they go toward the danger.

We as CCW people, try to get away from the danger.

The weapon is the last ditch effort to get rid of the danger.

Also, I think that there are states that don't allow "peons" (= the People) to own BPV's.

Also, some states have in their statues that having a weapon, and wearing a BPV is SA which then gives the LEO's a much greater PC.

Also, how do you carry? Mine goes all the way down to my waist (had it fitted by sending in the dimensions they asked for and they (forgot who he got them from) did a dang good job) and I couldn't IWB carry like I do now and if I OWB carried, it would push out the grip and create a bulge.

Wayne

Back