Blue Press Publishes Rebuttals to "Why the .45 ACP Failed" Article

That said, it's (9mm) adequate for many who either don't train enough to accept a bit higher recoil or can't afford to train enough with the higher cost ammo of larger calibers.

I think the training issue is the need to develop superior accuracy if you're going to shoot a less effective round, so it's not like you don't have to work just as hard with a 9mm.

"Why the .45 ACP Failed"
An inaccurate choice of words. A better title would have been: "Why the .45 ACP is not as popular as it once was" And the answer to that is: Because it is no longer the U.S. Military Standard. It does not take a full article to say that, nor does it churn-up as much emotion.

Dead-45 ACP ? After over one hundred years it's just now fell over dead. The demise is greatly exaggerated. I'm getting ready to cast hundreds of 45 caliber SWC bullets. The SWC's feed great in my stock as a door knob 1911. Wonder if the HP bullet design had more to do with cartridge overall length. Just a guess.

The point is to attract readers and draw attention and it usually works. Think Howard Stern interviewing topless actresses on radio.

"Why the 45 acp Failed" is a must read. Based on nothing but a provocative title.

tipoc

I think the training issue is the need to develop superior accuracy
An attacker isn't going to be clipped to a stationary target stand. He will be charging, running, fighting, and who knows what other movement. It could be on perfect light, but most likely not. "Supreme" accuracy is irrelevante. It may help,it may not. Not saying it's worthless to practice. Or that shooting very accuratly is a waste. But luck, and accuracy by volume are much more likely to stop an attack.

An attacker isn't going to be clipped to a stationary target stand. He will be charging, running, fighting, and who knows what other movement. It could be on perfect light, but most likely not. "Supreme" accuracy is irrelevante. It may help,it may not. Not saying it's worthless to practice. Or that shooting very accuratly is a waste. But luck, and accuracy by volume are much more likely to stop an attack.
Or simply shooting from a car--seen it several times. Window goes down and bang bang bang etc. Saw a car pull up at a stop sign next to a young guy, window go down and a 45 acp pistol fired at just a few feet away--the entire magazine emptied--and only one hit in the lower torso and the kid went sprinting off. In another incident a guy stepped out of the vehicle and started blazing away at a young woman and her kids at about 20 yds--not a single hit. These were young gangster hits so volume was favored over accuracy.

I am not concerned with caliber. When it comes to me using a gun on someone I am going to kill him, and that's it. Kaput. Splat. End of the line, end of the story, that's the bottom line of the guy's ledger sheet. Anything is lethal if you just want it to be badly enough.

TC bullets don't work?

I'm stuck on the truncated cone hollow point business.:eek: Last night I loaded a small run of 45 ACP with lead SWC's. How close are those bullets to the TC bullets? I don't do gun rags so this is the first time this TC thing has come up. Back in the Skunk Works is a Saeco 067 four cavity 45 mold. This advertised and has all the appearance of a TC bullet. For laughs and giggles some of the lead bullets will be used in my 1911. I'd bet money there will be no problem. Also, I'd like to know what jacketed TC bullet that author was talking about. I briefly had one of those South American 45 compact's. It wouldn't feed anything but RN bullets. A POS handgun does not mean the caliber is bad and/or dead. Might do a run in the G21.3. Same bet.

Of the center fire handgun calibers I believe that the 45 acp is number 2. So if we were at the Olympics we'd still be on the podium. We'd just have to listen to the German national anthem before we waved to the crowd. :)

tipoc

I have and carry .45 ACP and 9 mm pistols. I like them both. I reload practice ammo for both. Putting hits on your target should trump any caliber debate.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

I have and carry .45 ACP and 9 mm pistols. I like them both. I reload practice ammo for both. Putting hits on your target should trump any caliber debate.

And this is what caliber debates always boil down to. You won't stop or kill or even really hurt someone if you don't hit them.

So can you get a round or three into a guy who needs to be shot? Can you do it with a .45 or .357, or are you one of the people who function and shoot best with a 9mm? Hitting the doggone target is the dangerous part for your target. A thousand near misses are still a thousand misses. A single hit, no matter how "deficient" the caliber is beats the bejeezes out of those thousand misses.

So, in fact, the entire idea of these gun wars is flawed. We go on and on about how great these things are, or how lousy they are, based on jelly or paper.

Assess what will fit your needs. Buy it and carry it and learn to use it well. Otherwise, you are just another of the endless hordes of people who can't do anything right, like drive a car without running into someone else's car.

I'm not sure if I could ever survive the humiliation of being shot and killed by some gang banger with a glock and a fifty round drum because I missed when I flinched.

I'm not sure if I could ever survive the humiliation of being shot and killed by some gang banger with a glock and a fifty round drum because I missed when I flinched.
And if you did, we'd know you're the messiah arisen.;)

I am not even remotely him. I have many names and most of them are uncomplimentary and insulting. With the course that my life normally takes that would be the result. I have expected to be killed when a traveling space ship ejects it's spent fuel core and it strikes me when I'm in the shower. It's almost as probable as me finding myself in the aforementioned gang fight. I expect that when I do die even my friends will call me stupid.

I have often wondered, at what point are we going to be using something so powerful that there's no sense or point in going higher? Would that be .44 magnum with deer rounds? .45 colt? where do we reach the point that the cartridge is so overpowered and unwieldy that we are taking a bigger risk using it as a carry piece than to use a much lighter and more easily controlled piece? I think that I will start a thread asking opinions.

I knew a guy who claimed that he kept a .454 casull as his nightstand gun in his apartment. I flatly called him stupid.

Time to get ahead of the game and stock up on 25 ACP, it'll be the hottest round 10 years from now when everything in America has become even more effeminate. Think of the magazine capacity and that low, low recoil and if you want power, it's got way more than that puny .22LR. Shot placement and low recoil are the only things that matter, right?

Time to get ahead of the game and stock up on 25 ACP, it'll be the hottest round 10 years from now when everything in America has become even more effeminate. Think of the magazine capacity and that low, low recoil and if you want power, it's got way more than that puny .22LR. Shot placement and low recoil are the only things that matter, right?

Yup, that's about the "caliber" of response I'd expect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ironically, I think it's likely that a person who doesn't train enough will often choose a larger caliber because they think it will make up for their lack of skill.

I think they're just as likely to choose higher capacity because they think it will make up for their lack of skill.

But I agree with the way you wrote it too and everything else in your post. I'm convinced it's more important to focus on training and evidence of "shootability" in results (like your results with 9mm vs. 10mm).

If I selected a heavier gun for reasons other than to shoot a ballistically superior cartridge, then I would opt for that cartridge because then the ballistic advantage would cost little or nothing. Examples: Let's say I chose a steel 1911 or a revolver for reasons unrelated to ballistics. Now I've got that heavy gun. Should I have it chambered in 9mm, or .45/.357? Might as well be .45/.357 because 9mm isn't really doing anything for me there. Will .45/.357 do anything special for me? Maybe not, but since it's costing me little or nothing in those packages, it's a non-issue. If I was shooting a 22 ounce polymer gun, .45ACP is going to involve a noticeable trade-off in recoil and capacity. I doubt I would choose it in that package just for the supposed advantage the superior ballistics might offer. But I certainly don't think that low-weight and high-capacity are the best selection criteria. I do believe those two things are the reason for 9's popularity.

Ironically, I think it's likely that a person who doesn't train enough will often choose a larger caliber because they think it will make up for their lack of skill.

Hmmm..... I don't know. I shoot IDPA with my 44 mags. I have lots of training too.

Statement: I think it's likely that people like X will often do Y because of Z.

This does not mean that all people like X will do Y--it only means that I think it's likely they will often do it.

This does not mean that all people who do Y are people like X. For example, if I say that drunk drivers often run off the roads and wreck, that doesn't mean that everyone who runs off the road and wrecks is a drunk driver. They may have fallen asleep, they may have been texting, they may have just been inattentive.

This does not mean that everyone who does Y does it because of Z. For example, if I say that farmers often buy pickups because of their utility, it doesn't mean that everyone who buys a pickup does so because of its utility. Some people may buy them just because of the way they look.
Hmmm..... I don't know. I shoot IDPA with my 44 mags. I have lots of training too.
I didn't say that everyone who buys and shoots large caliber handguns does so because of lack of training. I didn't say that the primary consumers of large caliber handguns are untrained people.

There are clearly people who choose large caliber handguns for reasons having nothing to do with lack of training. There are certainly trained people who choose large caliber handguns. There are certainly many reasons that people might choose large caliber handguns for reasons other than a hope that it will make up for a lack of skill.

For what it's worth, my nightstand gun is a 10mm. I had a very specific purpose for picking that caliber for a nightstand gun that had nothing to do with either a lack of training or skill--and, in fact, nothing to do with anything that has been discussed on this thread.

Back