Bleeding and Plastic

I forgot to add in my above post that my sons buddy calls his souped up shotgun his 'street rod shotgun' for the reason he just likes to build off the wall looking guns. But he also understands the intended purpose of his shotgun and a few of his pistols as well as two of his AK's are mostly for range fun.

His dad being an instructor at Cols. PD has allowed him to attend many PD practice drills. Including house/building sweeping tactics and SWAT tactics. This fella is very efficient with a pistol or long gun and realizes the difference in a firearm built for combat , LE work and a firearm built for everyday HD/SD.

I know that one of his HD shotguns is a streamlined Ithaca 37 with a slug bbl. and another an 870 riot gun. He handles both extremely well.

But I still like to rag on him cause I like him.;)

D from fl, you might want to realize that the things you heard 50 years ago are a bit out dated and times have changed. If you think you don't need to see what you shoot at, thats perfectly fine, cause I don't live in florida. I hope you have lots of luck with that.

If you are so delusional to think a zmb chainsaw and a synthetic stock 870 or 500 are the same thing, then nothing else can be said that'd really matter.

Maybe you should do a little yardwork so your hands don't get blistered by them tough "cheese grater" stocks...not that you'd be able to shoot it enough because of that big bad recoil which apparently destroys you. And god forbid if there were more than 3-4 rounds in that pump before you had to reload. Yeesh, that ton of extra weight up front from that 3" mag tube extension and those extra 2 rounds must make it impossible to swing and point.

If you're really such a dainty lot unable to cope with such huge extremes, I just don't know how you survived so long...

Feel free to shoot antiques in the dark there D from fl. I'll keep identifying my target before shooting at those dangerous hat-racks. Hopefully I'll still be able to lift 10#'s when I get your age. Lol. Not to mention, I thought these new plastic stocks were supposed to make that big kickin 12 gauge lighter and even harder to shoot?

I think it's you that may need to learn a bit about shotgunning. I may not know how to shoot trap and skeet or which 2 shot shotgun is best for hitting pieces of clay...but I have deployed with mossberg 500's, I've done military ranges with them and used them in Iraq. I'm willing to bet i've got a bit more time using a shotgun against people and indoors than most.

I forgot to add in my above post that my sons buddy calls his souped up shotgun his 'street rod shotgun' for the reason he just likes to build off the wall looking guns.

Is his Surname "Rooney"?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know.

sawed off!

I would not lop the barrel off a shotgun that I intended as HD and might actually shoot somebody with.

Slug and true HD barrels are reasonably available, without opening the door to legal types who might make a legal toehold out of the fact that you shot the deceased with what amounts to a "sawed off shotgun".

Much better a short factory tube, that you occasionally hunt or compete with.

The only thing added to my HD shotgun is a bright light on a proper mount which makes the rifle sights on it usable at night. It's a plain, synthetic stock, cylinder bore 870 with 18.5" barrel and full length magazine (no extension). Oh and sling swivels.

I prefer a good ol fashioned shoulder stock because it's very easy to take it off your shoulder and do a face bash with it in one smooth stroke.

Last edited:
You must be one of those young whipper snappers who play too many video games! Don't you know that anything but wood stocks makes the gun too light and gives you blisters! And then you go adding a light which makes it 10#'s and unwieldy, completely throwing off the fluid motion and pointability! And god forbid! Sling mounts! Why, they must add an extra 10#'s and make the gun recoil 10 x harder!! How do you even manage to shoot that thing?

Kids these days and their sensible HD guns...what's the world coming to?

Mayhaps a shirt-tail relative, then?

http://www.thegunzone.com/rooney.html

Perhaps jimbob :D

Thanks for sharing the Site.

Site saved to ask him if he has posted pics. there.

FWIW,Been tryin to figure out how to mount the vacuum cleaner to my HD shotgun. That way in case of a break in, this 'old guy' can multi-task and 'sweep' the carpets while 'sweeping' the house for bad guys...sorry guys couldn't resist.:o

Last edited:
Bet it'd take you the same amount of time to clear the house either way. Careful you don't get blisters, I haven't seen any wooden vacuums and you know how dangerous that plastic is...

mallninjagun_zpsdc82b01b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the preferred model for cleaning house

Bet it'd take you the same amount of time to clear the house either way

I don't clear the house. Gotta a trained dog that gets paid to do that. I just sit back in my plain ole' wooden rockin chair with my plain ole' wooden stocked 1100 and wait for him to flush the varmints out.

P.S. Dog hates plastic too. Chews that Nylabone like there's no tomorrow. Bad guy better not have a Nylabone... I mean plastic gun. ;)

so, I take it you don't agree with our VP?
:D

I have mixed feelings about mounting a light on a weapon.
On one hand, being able to see your target to identify it positively is a good thing.

On the other hand, there is a strong instinctive tendency to use that weapon mounted light to see things with, and that means pointing a loaded weapon at them.

What I find objectionable isn't all the crap that one may or may not choose to hang on their gun, but the attitude that if you DON'T have that kind of stuff on your gun you are somehow not properly prepared, and therefore, irresponsible.

Generally there is a difference between what is optimal for combat and what will be fully adequate for personal defense. One does not need a combat shotgun for home defense, although it certainly will work.

so, I take it you don't agree with our VP?

44AMP,

Do you think the VP would get mad if'n I could figure out a way to mount the dog to my shotgun?? He sees better at night, hears and his sniffer is much better than mine...and boy does he have a full bite.

You did say you were going to sweep the carpet while you sweep the house. So now you're not going to do that? Or is "sweeping the house" some how different from "clearing it"?

Not true, you don't have to point a loaded gun at someone to use an attached flashlight. You could chamber the round after identifying the target maybe... I don't really see that as any slower than carrying a flashlight with one hand and gun in the other... I live way out in the country...but I also pay an extra $15 a month to have 3 street lights on my property. One in the front yard by the road, one in the backyard which lights up the front of the barn, and one off towards the back corner that lights up the back and side of the barn...if power went out though I could see me needing a mounted flashlight.

I never said anyone had to put anything on their gun, I have simply argued the virtues of some attachments that previous posters have mocked. I actually have none of those attachments (though I do have the synthetic stock). I have a simple NEF pardner protector with a hogue forearm and gg&g follower and a winchester model 1300 with wood stocks...different tools for different task. I leave my kitchen light on and have an alarm on my house as well as 2 dogs...so no need for flash lights, plus I have a pistol as primary SD gun, the pardner sits in the closet, so no need for extended mag tubes...it's not threaded for chokes and I have no interest in paying someone to put a breacher tip on there...

I don't see any difference between a weapon mounted light and a handheld light when it comes to "clearing" my house.

Even with a handgun in my right hand and a light in my left, the muzzle goes where my light and eyes go. I suspect many others have been trained this way as well.

I like wood and plastic furniture on a shotgun, but it depends on the shotgun and what I'm planning on using it for. If it's a valuable antique, (and I mean TRULY valuable not just old), then I prefer wood. If it's something like a non family heirloom, Remington model 11 or any other mass produced older shotgun that I picked up for less than $200.00 bucks, then I'm not opposed to putting plastic stocks on it if wood ones are cost prohibitive or unavailable. If the checkering on the plastic stock cut into my skin or bothered me, then I'd just wrap some tape or camo gun wrap around the checkering. I could also always just sand the sharp edges of the checkering down too if I didn't want to use tape or some kind of gun wrap. With a few exceptions (I like shiny handguns the bright finish of which aren't practical), I'm a "whatever works" kind of guy.

A small, picatinny rail mounted pressure switch light mounted to the shotgun could sure come in handy in dark situations. But it's not a total necessity, because I know where my family is at night in my house, and I know if I hear something knocking around outside late at night, I know that it isn't a family member, so I don't actually need a light to identify the "good guys" and not shoot them.

A mounted light could come in handy just to be able to hit a bad guy in the dark, plus to hold off on turning the light on until you were right up on them and then the light unexpectedly blinding them would come in handy too. I don't have a light on mine currently, but I wouldn't mind getting a LED one. The weight of a small unobtrusive one wouldn't bother me at all. The only concern I have about a light (or laser) on a gun is the bad guy can trace back to where you are. But that is offset by the fact that I wouldn't just keep the light on the whole time, but would carefully stalk to the area of noise and only then turn it on the bad guys hopefully blinding them temporarily for maximum advantage.

I wear glasses for my 60 yr old eyes and I like scopes on my rifles because it has gotten harder to focus on the skinny front sight blade while also having a bit less focused rear sight ring picture. Which is the sight picture on my M1a (same as the M14 I used in the Marines). But with a shotgun, I don't have to focus on a rear sight, I just have to keep a focus on one thing, the gold bead of my front sight sitting on top of the barrel in such a way as it appears it is sitting right on top of my receiver. My eyes are good enough for that, so I don't see a need for a scope on a shotgun since I'm not doing precision long range shooting with a scatter gun. My view on shooting is:
rifle for longer distances, shotgun for shorter distances, handgun for closest distances.

I think an extended magazine tube is a good idea on a shotgun. The extra weight isn't that much and my thinking is,..... the best way to reload in a dangerous situation......is to not have to.

In a bugout situation where I had to carry on my back, shoulder and waist, anything I took with me, I'd sling a shotgun over my shoulder, tie a neckerchief around my neck or forehead, carry a rifle and maybe a holstered handgun plus my K-bar knife and maybe, but not necessarily a hatchet on my belt too. (I might not carry a handgun because that's three different types of ammo to carry instead of just two for my rifle and shotgun, plus if they got past my rifle and shotgun, I'd probably be dead anyway). A compact "leatherman" tool in my pocket. My back pack would contain a small roll of fishing line and a few different size hooks, one extra shirt and trousers, two extra pairs of socks, toothbrush, two extra underwear, a sewing kit, a light, thinwall sleeping bag and foam mat both rolled up and carried under my backpack, a roll of parachute cord, a small LED flashlight with a few extra batteries, cigarette lighter, extra pair of sneakers, dried not wet....food and as much water as I could carry....if I was going where finding water was going to possibly be a problem. If finding water wasn't going to be a problem (here in Fl it wouldn't be much of a problem), then I'd carry one canteen on my belt, some purification tablets, and put more food and ammo in my backpack instead of water. I do believe in keeping it simple (KISS), with just what is necessary in a on foot survival situation, but I have no aversion to handy lights on a shotgun, or plastic stocks.

Ultimately, I'm fine with whatever someone else wants to do with their gun. It may not be what I would do, but dang it, it's their gun. And I don't know everything, and find that I sometimes change my mind about things once I've actually used them. The main thing to me, is that at least someone IS a gun enthusiast and is doing SOMETHING with their gun (and thereby learning more about guns), in this society where the liberals in the schools and government are trying to brainwash the young people into disliking any kind of guns.

Last edited:
Jimbob...I just gotta chuckle. You only quoted half my sentence...Seriously?

The guy didn't want to point a loaded gun at someone to identify them. So that leaves holding a gun in one hand and a flashlight in the other...and not having your weapon pointed where you look...(yeah, super idea what are you gonna do, shoulder the shotgun with one hand? Drop the flashlight? Or try to hold/operate/even grab the pump while shouldering and aiming with a flashlight in your hand?), not having a loaded chamber and pointing a shotgun at someone, orrr...what? Not identifying your target? Maybe one of those ballcaps with the built in LED lights? What is your expert opinion on how to properly use a flashlight and shotgun to identify a target without pointing a loaded gun at someone?

But... cheese grater rails are taktikool! How can you have a home defense shotgun without it being taktikool?

The guy who hangs the most **** off the rails on his gun wins!

My HD shotgun is a circa 1970s Smith & Wesson Model 3000 police cruiser. Parkerized finish, wood stock, 5 shell tube magazine, bead front sight.

The ONLY thing that was hanging off of it was an Uncle Mike's flexible buttcuff shell carrier, and even that's gone (elastic hardened).

Back