Blackhawk 4 5/8 vs 5 1/2

Just to put this in context, I'm right-handed: I like cross-draw and strong-side holsters, too. The advantages of cross-draw are too important to ignore:
  1. If you will also be carrying a rifle, cross-draw prevents contact between them.
  2. When driving, the cross-draw is more comfortable.
  3. A longer barreled revolver draws nearly as smoothly as a shorter barreled revolver from a cross-draw holster.

You appear to have made your decision, but I figured I'd chime in anyway...

I prefer the look of the 5.5" barrel.
I respect the little extra bit of comfort afforded by a shorter holster for the 4-5/8" barrel.

But I don't think you'd ever notice the difference in normal use.

For me, it would be (and was) 5.5".

If you will be shooting heavy loads or over 25 yds, you will want the 5.5" barrel.

Under 25 yds, I would rather have the shorter barrel for getting in/out of truck or equipment.

I have the 5.5" for hunting, but it carries crossdraw for sitting in the field and sitting in car.

Personal preference. I like the 4-5/8" barrel, but either will do you fine. Get what you want.

7C25560D-6E98-4B81-A7A5-7D4A6F306BC4_zpsdhhj1ekl.jpg

Thanks so much all, I think I'm leaning towards the 5.5" barreled gun.

Now for holsters! Ah yes, I see many options. I will make a holster thread soon just to get some ideas of different makers and types.

Don't know where you're from Model 12, but over the years I've found that the 4-5/8" bbl'd models carry a heck of a lot better for me. We live on a farm and I'm often on a tractor, lawn mower, horseback and even the Jeep and that short barrel just does not push the gun's stocks up into my ribs like the 6-1/2" ones or even the the 5-1/2. I've got RUgers in all three of standard length and the shortest is by far my favorite; the others have been relegated to range use only. As to the accuracy argument, it's just not that apparent in actual use. The 4-5/8" vs. the 6-1/2" accounts for barely 1/2" on target, from rest at 25 yds. At extended pistol range, say 50 yds or beyond, it'd make a difference, but not inside 25-30 yds.

I've got a pair of Ruger .44 Specials in the short length as well as a New Vaquero in .45 Colt...all are more accurate than I can shoot them. But the NV needed to have its throats opened up to a uniform 0.4525" to shoot lead alloy bullets with any accuracy (3+" before work and <2" after). I can't say if Ruger had finally decided to machine it's cylinder throats to make them compatible with the groove dia. but it's a factor to be considered if you go with a .45 Colt convertible.

I make all my own leather, preferring for the most part, my own copy of the old Tom Threepersons open top, strong side model and with minimum drop at that. The weight of a full size Ruger, short or long barrel hangs well from an 1-1/2" belt too. El Paso Saddlery makes a fine copy of that old design and the belt as well. A good belt BTW is essential for comfort when carrying

So if you plan to carry your new Ruger, for field use with a strong side holster, I'd opt for the 4-5/8" model...with a minimal drop holster...that's the ticket.

Here's a cpl pics, albeit with a 2" home made gun/money belt. That's my copy of the Tom Threepersons holster. The 2nd one is of a Single Six .32 with a 4-5/8" bbl. in another Threepersons holster. Rod

Last edited:
I bought a 5 1/2" three screw Ruger Blackhawk 357 in 1971, I wanted a
4 5/8" barrel handgun , but this one was marked USED $75.00 , so I jumped on it . The movie Dirty Harry came out and the previous owner had seen it then promptly brought the 357 back to the shop and traded it in for a 44 magnum, hence it was now a used gun !
To this day I still wish it were a 4 5/8", I thought I would learn to love the 5 1/2 " barrel . I love the gun , and the 5 1/2 " length is just fine , especially when shooting....but the shorter barrel just looks sexy and handles right !
And dog gone it , I would get the 4 5/8 " if given a choice.
Gary

Thanks all and a MERRRRRRYYYYYY CHIRRRRRSTTTTTMMMAASSSSS HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO HO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I did a search and the entire internet everywhere is plumb sold out of the Blackhawk's convertibles in .45 Long Colt's/.45 Auto Colt's. In blued. With either 4.620 bbl or 5.50 bbl.

Been following this thread with interest. I have a few Blackhawks myself, among them, a 4 5/8" .44 special with a Bisley grip, and a .45/.45ACP convertible. It came with the plow handle grip, but I had a Bisley grip put on it.

They are both great revolvers, but mine are on the lighter frame.

The .45 convertible, being on the lighter frame, is not rated for Tier 3 loads. I just mention that because in an earlier post you mentioned that you were going to get some Buffalo Bore loads to try out in it. If you have one with the heavier frame no problem. Mine is rated for tier 2 loads max. I had some loads loaded to Tier 2 specs and it handles them just fine. A few nuclear loads through it probably wouldn't hurt it though.

I have had the 5 1/2" currently have the 7 1/2" Bisley and 4 5/8" 44 magnums.

The 4 5/8" round trigger guard SBH has always been a holy grail gun for me, so when I saw one last month used I snagged it up. I personally like the 4 5/8" best but will never part with the 7 1/2" either.

Looked all over the net using slickguns.com and found the blued .45 convetible Blackhawks are sold out everywhere. Must be between runs.

Lately I've been all fired up for a new SA Ruger in .357 or .44 but the more and more I look and handle them I'm leaning to a Glock 10mm ---the revolvers are just too big and heavy. Doesn't help that every time I go in there the price magically ticks up on them either.

Back