Blackhawk 4 5/8 vs 5 1/2

Model12Win

So I'm about to buy my first single action revolver ever (excluding my cap and ball guns) and I'm set on the Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt that comes with the .45 ACP conversion cylinder. I'm no reloader, no how, and that .45 ACP cylinder will allow me to shoot all day till the cows come home and not break the bank. Have you checked prices on factory .45 Colt these days? Yikes!

But on to my main point, I am wondering about barrel length. Now I love the looks of the 5 1/2" barrel guns... but this'll be my user gun, and all rounder if you will. I plan to use it for trail defense and open carry when on my property (I CCW in public) and also as a BUG when I'm hunting for boars down south a ways. But, I also plan to do mostly range and target work, plinking, things of that nature.

Now I gots to know... will that 5 1/2" bbl be too long? I've held 5 1/2" bbl SAAs before and liked the balance compared to the 4 5/8" guns. I always prefer a mite more weight out front in a big bore. I plan to shoot some hot Buffalo Bores and defensive loads through the gun for social work and hog/trail protection. I plan to buy a pancake holster or some other lower profile rig for the gun and a cartridge slide too, no full blown western gun belt low rider rigs. No sir! I'm no cowboy action shooter. I'm buying this gun for real work, and I need it to be at my side in a comfortable and practical manner.

So while I'm a leanin' towards the 5 1/2" barrel, I'd like some feedback from guys that've carried 'em around. Too big? Just right? Will a 4 5/8" be better for MY purposes? Can I have a strong side draw with this barrel length?

Thanks all!

Thanks Jack Moser! I'm mainly just worried the 5 1/2" will be uncomfortable to wear in a strong side holster. I would prefer to not use a cross draw.

If you're not going to do a cross draw, then the shorter length will be more comfortable when drawing. I'd go for the 5.5" but I'd be using a crossdraw holster.

If you are going to be wearing it while getting in and out
of your rig much?
Then the short barrel is the only way to go.

Horseback and hiking, I don't feel a difference in (seating/walking) packing
the extra ounces of a longer barrel.

My take, JT

I bought my Blackhawk with the 6 1/2 barrel and wished now I would have went with the 4 5/8. The 6 1/2 made it too barrel heavy in my opinion.

I have Blackhawks in 5 1/2, 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 and a SAA clone in 4 5/8. Only the 7 1/2 goes cross draw. Your call; can't really go wrong.

I really like the Blackhawk 45 convertible. As much as I like the look of the 5 1/2 inch version, I chose the 4 5/8 for myself because it is an all around handgun for me since I am not tall and rather short-waisted and the 4 5/8 just fits me better under more conditions. If you are average height or taller, I doubt it would matter much.

I wore strong side until I got an El Paso Saddlery 1920 Cross draw. I can sit in a car or stand very comfortably. Have Blackhawks in 41, 44, 44mag, and 45Colt in 7.5 and 5.5. As far as shooting, the 5.5 is much more comfortable to shoot than the 4.6.

Laz, my 5 1/2 Blackhawk rides in a strong side El Paso Saddlery "Shootist" rig. They call it something else, but advertise they made it for that movie.

Good choice for a trail gun ... No matter what length you choose .. Ive been pondering a SA myself also .. 45 Colt is a great round .. Big fat bullet !!!!

Thanks guys, if you don't think a 5 1/2" bbl would be too unmanageable for a strong side holster than I'm going to go with that length.

Any ideas on strong side holsters are welcome. I am NOT a cowboy action shooter. I am looking for a practical leather holster that looks nice but is easy to carry the gun in. A pancake holster might be in order.

I'm afraid I got mine during the era before Ruger got sensible and offered more than just 4 5/8" and 7 1/2". My .45 Blackhawks are 7.5". Never liked the look of the 4 5/8" Blackhawk. Somehow that huge front sight never looked right on the short barrel.

Looks PERFECT on the 7.5", though! ;)

I have 5.5" Vaqueros, and 4 5/8" Vaqueros, and a 5.5" New Vaquero, and 5.5" is a very nice length, feels short if you are used to 7.5"!

if you don't think a 5 1/2" bbl would be too unmanageable for a strong side holster

I don't think so, but what matters is what YOU think. Get a holster (and a toy gun) and wear it a bit, FIRST, so you get an idea of how the length will work for you. put some lead in it if you want to feel the weight. THEN you'll have a better idea, and its cheaper than buying a gun you won't be happy with.

I'm also a fan of Pachmayr grips on my Blackhawks. A personal thing, but for me they make the gun much more "shootable". Some can't stand them, and some think any oversize / non-traditional grip is some kind of blasphemy...to them, I say, buy a Colt! (and leave me alone!) :p

i prefer 5.5" in single six and 4.5" in blackhawk. 5.5" for more accurate plinking, 4.5" for handier carry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much, all.

Now I've got to decide on a holster. I am thinking either the Simply Rugged Cattleman or Sourdough Pancake.

I only own New Vaquero's a 5.5" and 4 5/8". Love the look and feel of the latter, but enjoy shooting both of them.

If I had to choose (and again this is New Vaquero) it would be 4 5/8". With the Blackhawk it would be 5.5".

Get a chest rig and then it will not matter what length barrel you are carrying .
Simply Rugged makes one but I like the Diamond D better .

Any ideas on strong side holsters are welcome. I am NOT a cowboy action shooter. I am looking for a practical leather holster that looks nice but is easy to carry the gun in. A pancake holster might be in order.

www.epsaddlery.com They are the best and have a large selection of many types, including pancake.

Back