Black Powder Revolver for Deer Hunting

lookin71 said:
"You may notice, nobody has needed two shots."

Thanks for your response. Maybe I wasn't specific enough. Last year, on the last day of black powder, just at dusk, a line of does came into view. I shot the lead doe, then the rest scattered, with some standing broadside at about 75 yards.

What to do???

If I had a repeater, I could shoot another doe.

This year, I shot the lead doe of three, and the other two ran off to the edge of the woods and stared at the downed doe. Again, what to do???

I could have shot one of the two others. If it was modern firearms I don't have to tell you what would have happened: MORE venison. Three so far this year for me and the inlaws. Oh, he got one too.

I don't need a second shot on a single deer, I need to shoot the second deer if the opportunity is there.

Um in this situation a C&B Revolver would not be the weapon to try for any of those deer that had ran off because the range would be way too far for a clean shot even with the Uberti copy of the Remington Revolving carbine due to the lack of energy that these weapons would not posess at that range, remember that these revolvers are capable of taking deer size game but the range has to be 40 yards or less to be sure of suitable penetration for a clean kill.

whosyrdaddy has a good suggestion for your situation, a dubble rifle like that or the Kodiak dubble rifle would be a better suitable weapon for those situations where a possible second deer on the ground at those ranges is possible & would posess sufficient energy for up to 150 yards if needed.

The "Daddy" seems to have it!!

Thanks guys.

I like the traditions double rifle. I had no idea they made one of those.

AND I could have a revolver for a backup. How kewl is that.

Thanks to all.

I will find a revolver regardless, but the double rifle is the thing for me.

I knew the experienced members would help me solve my dilemma.

All I have to do is acquire some new toys. :D

Thanks,

Donnie

Thanks for your response. Maybe I wasn't specific enough. Last year, on the last day of black powder, just at dusk, a line of does came into view. I shot the lead doe, then the rest scattered, with some standing broadside at about 75 yards.

Do like Sergeant York.
When they are in a line, shoot the last one first, and the rest won't know what happened.
Well, Sgt. York did that with turkeys, I don't know if that would work for deer.

I will say, having hunted quite a bit with muzzleloaders, I have learned to reload fast. I carry those little plastic speed loaders, and one of them carries powder, bullet, and primer.
The instant I pull the trigger I am reloading.

I have used both a '58 Rem 'Buffalo' model w/12" barrel and my ROA for takeing wild/feral hog. my nephew was in the blind both times w/me he had his H&R 20 ga Mag loaded w/3" #3 buck. 3 shots = 2 hogs. one took 2 shots I shot a moveing sow about 300lbs too far back and high and had a long track-down to finish it off. the other I got w/a head/neck shot DRT.
I would not hesitate to take a deer with either provided an ethical shot presented, but much rather have my .50 cal Hawken.

Just a thought on why I shoot the first doe. The lead doe is usually exactly that: the leader.

In low light situations, I try to get what I am after. And that is pounds of venison. I don't shoot the baby deer, bucks or does. There will be more meat on the lead doe. She will likely be older.

I will always shoot the largest animal I can see. That is how I sort of figure things out on which one to shoot. If in doubt about that, the one front is bigger or as big as anything behind her.

Unless there is a large buck behind her. I like when that happens!!

Last edited:
one more thing to consider, here in WV it is illegal to use a rifle or pistol which is not a single shot, double rifles are only legal if one barrell is loaded, if this happens to be the case in KY there is not much need to put out the money on a double rifle if you won't be able to use it. I would check your local law before buying.

A couple of years ago I killed a small deer with a Walker. Probably had at least 50 grn 3f black powder. It was an easy shot and the deer didn't run too far. Probably wasn't more than 25 - 30 yards away. I don't know if I'd personally try it past 30 yards but a lethal shot could be made. I made darn sure that a cap & ball was legal in Missouri first. the ball went clean through the lungs and out the other side but like i said, it was a small deer. I assume a large doe would have gone down if hit in the same spot but probably would have run farther. I didn't really bring the gun along as a primary weapon but when a golden opportunity presented itself, I couldn't resist. I just remember taking a deer down with a good shoulder shot earlier and then having it run off as i walked up to it. I brought the walker along for backup. Anyways, the lesson is ALWAYS RELOAD before approaching the deer.

Ruger Old Army upgrade for hunting

I sent my Ruger Old Army to Dave Clements in Virginia to upgrade it to a .50 cal. for hunting. This included a machined 5 round cylinder line bored with a new octagon barrel with blade sight, an extra 5 round cylinder, modified bullet press for round ball and conical bullets, trigger and action blueprinting, and a conical bullet mold.

www.clementscustomguns.com

Ballistics are similar to my Dan Wesson .44 Mag.:

170 gr. .490 ball loaded with 50 gr. Hodgdon 777 + Wonder wad = 1250 fps
250 gr. .488 conical loaded with 50 gr. Hodgdon 777 + Wonder wad = 1150 fps
Using Remington # 11 caps.

Very accurate to 50 yards + with both types of rounds

I use the 170 gr. ball for deer.
I use the 250 gr. conical for bear and elk.

I shoot a Walker, and with 45 gr of Pyrodex P it's plenty flat (probably supersonic} to fifty yards or so. If you can get them with a bow, a Walker is bound to be easier. You can put in more powder if you think you need it.

.457 RB to the ribs....Equals a quick, clean kill!!:D I don't know how many I have shot with my Rem58 and the 1860..
attachment.php

The OP asked what were our thoughts on hunting deer with a .44 cal BP revolver. Regarding that, no one has mentioned THIS Uberti black powder revolver yet. Yes it's a carbine, but still a BP revolver. This one is mine and I've only fired off a few cylinders from it so far. I used holy black 35 grains and a .454 round ball on targets. Haven't hunted with it yet, but no doubt with that longer barrel it will have more velocity than shorter barrel revolvers, and with its rifle sights, be more accurate on deer too. It balances extremely well and even with its longer barrel, I would say it is the lightest 6 shot BP carbine existing. You can even shoot it accurately one handed from the shoulder which isn't surprising since it was originally designed for cavalry use with one hand on the reins.

pix516685810.jpg

Last edited:
I've been drooling on that carbine for some time (considered that of the 12" steel framed Buffalo with a stock). It's on my short list of needs...

I, too, would be interested in the velocity if you ever get a chance.

I don't have a chronograph, but if I ever do chronograph my Remy revolving carbine, I'll be sure to post a report guys.

Oh, one other thing, You don't actually put the butt in your shoulder with that Remy revolving carbine. It is designed to be used just below the shoulder and just above the bicep. Then you kind of cock your elbow up to get a proper cheek rest. As you can see, the curvature of the butt plate is too small to use on your actual shoulder. Lots of people do not realize you don't shoulder it, but use it just below the shoulder and just above the bicep. Then the butt plate fits you perfectly.

Just as a point of reference-

No Name Italian 1860 Colt clone from the 70's. Charge was a '30 grain' spout of Triple Seven with an Ox Yoke Wonder Wad & Hornady .454 swaged ball rammed down hard. Velocity is the average of six shots, once around the cylinder.

2015-04-03%2013.54.12_zpsnzkpohsj.jpg

Same load, a cylinder-full from 25 yards; bullseye or Duelist stance, if you prefer. And yes, I yanked that shot to the left. I wouldn't be afraid to carefully heart-shoot a deer with it at that distance or closer- and pour in a couple more quick, before it went down.

2016-09-08%2016.09.50_zpse4nne43x.jpg

Back