Black marks on cylinder

Steve- the mark may still be there, but look at the rounded edges on all the holes!

People don't understand the mechanics of polishing. The flat surface of the cylinder will not get nearly the wear that sharp edges do.

You can not polish metal without abrasion. Abrasion in critical areas is not good.

I honestly don't know why people worry over this. Probably need to be doing more shooting and less obsessing over something so silly.

Steve- the mark may still be there, but look at the rounded edges on all the holes!

People don't understand the mechanics of polishing. The flat surface of the cylinder will not get nearly the wear that sharp edges do.

You can not polish metal without abrasion. Abrasion in critical areas is not good.
People have a hard time entertaining the notion that something they've been doing for years could ever be wrong.

QUOTE: "...I honestly don't know why people worry over this. Probably need to be doing more shooting and less obsessing over something so silly."

No need to worry about people worrying. Just because a person is fine with having their guns covered with carbon stains gives them no cause to call other people silly and obsessive who might do a lot of shooting but still like to have their firearms looking nice.

My great, great grandkids who will have my guns passed down to them will be dead and buried before there is any noticeable wear from from cleaning them with a Lead Away Cloth.

No need to worry about people worrying. Just because a person is fine with having their guns covered with carbon stains gives them no cause to call other people silly and obsessive who might do a lot of shooting but still like to have their firearms looking nice.
Trust me, there's no worrying on this end.

I'd advise a little "worrying" about your reading comprehension. I called no one "silly". Sorry, I forgot that this was 21st century America where folks get all offended if you disagree with them.

My great, great grandkids who will have my guns passed down to them will be dead and buried before there is any noticeable wear from from cleaning them with a Lead Away Cloth.
Says the guy arguing with a professional metal polisher. :rolleyes:

QUOTE: "... I called no one "silly"..."

Snarkism begets snarkism. Instead of politely disagreeing with someone else's position (i.e., in this case, "Personally, I don't mind having a little carbon stain left on my revolver after shooting it", is one way you could have expressed your differing opinion), you have to imply that some people obsess over silly things; things that you apparently believe you're too rational to be obsessed with.

QUOTE: "...Sorry, I forgot that this was 21st century America where folks get all offended if you disagree with them..."

I also forgot about some of 21st century America's manifest shortcomings: lacking good manners and forgetting how to engage in discourse politely.

I also forgot about some of 21st century America's manifest shortcomings: lacking good manners and forgetting how to engage in discourse politely.
If you think what I posted was rude you probably never step foot in a gun shop, or anywhere else where grown men gather.

Somehow my definition of "being a man" does not include getting my knickers bunched up over words spoken on the internet. Particularly something so benign as "obsessing over silly things" but then, I'm purely a product of the previous century.

to the OP's charcoaled cylinder

I have a stainless steel SW 649-5 humpback. I was getting burn stains on the cylinder face and I wanted them out ASAP. They'd been there for months and I'd tried a bore brush thingy and some solvent to no avail. One of the guys at the gun range said to use Hopp'es # 9 and a "regular green scrubby pad" to solve the prob. See the results - my camera is crappy but you can see the before and after effect.

While we're on the topic of cleaning finishes...
I have a recently bought SW 438 well with the matte black finish. I can't see the burn rings because its all black but I know they are there. I know I keep hearing not to use Hoppe's 9 on blued guns (like a older model 10) as it apparently deteriorates the finish. I'm sure the green scrubby would just scuff and wreck the matte surfaces. For the matte finish type guns - the black/gunmetal colored 438, 442, even the matte silver/grey 638, 642, 637, can someone tell me and the forum how to effectively clean the finish on our matte finished blasters?

Attachments

• cyl face (2).jpg
    cyl face (2).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 43
  • cyl face (3).jpg
    cyl face (3).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 2013 mar crane gap (4).jpg
    2013 mar crane gap (4).jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 40
It's not the Hoppes 9 doing the job. That "green scrubby pad" is highly abrasive and will remove metal. You anal retentive types are ruining your guns because you can't leave well enough alone. :rolleyes:

I know I keep hearing not to use Hoppe's 9 on blued guns (like a older model 10) as it apparently deteriorates the finish.
That's news to me.

Not to try to be deliberately offensive, but the issue truly is a pointless obsession for some.

In stainless, it's cosmetic only, and only in one specific area, not "all over the gun".
In a blued gun where the rings are not visible, giving any thought whatever to "can't see them but I know they are there" is even more pointless.

At that point, with a blued gun, where you can't even see the rings, where it's not even a cosmetic issue, why on earth would you care if there are rings present?
Those carbon rings will not hurt the gun.
Just get what'll come off during regular cleaning methods & forget the rest.

I know saying this won't get through to those who can't control the obsession, but the rings are really a nothing issue.

Built as objects of use, not art or jewelry, guns don't have to be polished regularly or kept to absolute factory-fresh pristine appearances.
That goes well beyond maintenance needs, and well beyond "I like to take good care of my guns".

If you do have the obsession, understand that that's what it is- an obsession.
Such levels of regular polishing and abrasion WILL remove material from the cylinder, WILL round off chamber exit holes, WILL remove bluing, if done excessively over long periods of time, and there is no benefit to the gun whatsoever.
Denis

Green Scotchbrite or "scrubby pads" are particularly abrasive.
Your information about Hoppe's #9 is just plain wrong. Of course you can use it on blued guns.
I agree with DPris and Jack Moser. The obsession with carbon rings is ruining your guns!

I bought a used Taurus stainless m85. It's dirty to say the least. How can I get the burnt powder residue off the barrel side of the cylinder? What can anyone recommend?

That's all the op asked to know. Some posters offered their well-intended recommendations. Apparently some folks like their guns a little "cleaner" than others do but I haven't seen any suggestion of employing belt-sanders to get rid of a carbon smear. You can overdo anything if you do it long enough but there's nothing wrong or "obsessive" with a little judicious rubbing in the right place with the right stuff.

Not to try to be deliberately offensive, but the issue truly is a pointless obsession for some.

In stainless, it's cosmetic only, and only in one specific area, not "all over the gun".
In a blued gun where the rings are not visible, giving any thought whatever to "can't see them but I know they are there" is even more pointless.

At that point, with a blued gun, where you can't even see the rings, where it's not even a cosmetic issue, why on earth would you care if there are rings present?
Those carbon rings will not hurt the gun.
Just get what'll come off during regular cleaning methods & forget the rest.

I know saying this won't get through to those who can't control the obsession, but the rings are really a nothing issue.

Built as objects of use, not art or jewelry, guns don't have to be polished regularly or kept to absolute factory-fresh pristine appearances.
That goes well beyond maintenance needs, and well beyond "I like to take good care of my guns".

If you do have the obsession, understand that that's what it is- an obsession.
Such levels of regular polishing and abrasion WILL remove material from the cylinder, WILL round off chamber exit holes, WILL remove bluing, if done excessively over long periods of time, and there is no benefit to the gun whatsoever.
There is only one legitimate reason I can think of where a person would want to get rid of those carbon rings on a Blued gun...it he were about to sell it and it was in otherwise pristine condition. Then he would want to minimize any evidence of use to get the most money out of it as possible. Other than than, I removed the carbon rings once on one of my Stainless guns...just out of curiosity, using a Lead-Away cloth. I certainly not do it on a Blued gun inasmuch as one would end up removing the Blue was well as the Carbon. As for a Stainless Taurus 85 with Carbon build-up, I would have at it (with nothing more abrasive than a Lead-Away cloth), without any concern.

My comments are directed more at educating than criticizing.

Those for whom the ring-removal IS a deeply entrenched & uncontrollable obsession are probably going to continue on with that obsession.

Those who may be new to guns & might think complete ring-removal is either a widespread practice or required as part of a normal maintenance program might find information saying it's not to be useful.

In the latter case, a helluva lot of time & effort can be saved by understanding the rings will do no damage whatever to the gun & will immediately return next time the gun's shot.

And damage from over-polishing to the cylinder face & bluing can also be avoided.

If your compulsion forces you to polish away every last trace of carbon ring, understanding that you CANNOT repetitively polish without removing at least SOME surface steel in the process, since that's what polishing is & does, then you're stuck.

At least the discussion has provided food for thought for those not obsessed with a totally cosmetic appearance. :)
Denis

My comments are directed more at educating than criticizing.

When making comments in threads like these, I do so with a presumption of competence on the part of any poster. When someone asks a question about anything firearm-related (unless he/she is up front with their lack of experience/knowledge to start with), I presume that they are as competent about gun knowledge as I am or more so and are just wanting an opinion on a specific question; not that they (in the case at hand) are asking for a lesson in firearm-cleaning protocol.

Just because someone asks about removing a "carbon ring", even for cosmetic reasons, doesn't mean that they are necessarily ignorant of the fact that "over-cleaning" can be injurious to a firearm nor that they are obsessing over something "wiser" people believe to be compulsive behavior. I haven't seen one poster's comment in this thread that would lead me to believe that they are overly-obsessing with cleaning a firearm. To presume otherwise is betraying a hubris attitude.

Back