bipod vs front bag rest

I went back out today and retested both my 300 win mag and my new 338 lapua savage 110 (which is fast becoming one of my favorite centerfire rifles) and shot both using my harris bipod. My 300 win mag results with the berger 210.10 remained disappointing; both in terms of accuracy as well as the chrono numbers. I've never been very good at figuring out the "berger mojo.";)

It was pretty cold and windy today after it clouded over; here's the last 4 shot group of 230 gr eldx 338 lapua driven by H1000 I shot at 100 yds off the bipod. The last two shots went through the same hole near the bulls--I'm floored by how well and soft shooting the savage 110 shoots this powerful cartridge.

attachment.php

I made a squeeze bag using deer hide because it’s so soft. Then I had a 25 lb bag of birdshot. Filled it, but not too full. It’s great. And I have Atlas Bipods.

I don't think its a right or wrong.

I used a front bag and a rear bag and do well.

All my stuff is bench rest target and it suits that really well.

It would not do for Varmint shooting.

If you are into 3 position shooting then the bi pod if allowed is good on the ground and better than nothing for sure.

I can't do the holds anymore so I focus on pure bench rest.

Never learned to shoot properly with a sling. While am transitioning to shooting off the ground with a bipod, it is difficult for me to stand up/get down too much. Just glad to be still able to shoot, although can't be out in the sun unless masked up.

I tried both , prefer a ridgid Harris bi pod , just have to learn how to use them . I only shoot benchrest never got into competing , just enjoy shooting with friends .Some of my friends do compete using front rests , bags and bi pods .We all shoot well , I guess it's what ever you shoot best with .

Chris

Not sure if any one mentioned it but putting some padding under the bipod legs on the bench will help.
I like the bipod but like others I think the bag probably produces better shooting.

Yes , I do use a piece of rug under the legs , the benchs I shoot off of are concrete . I still prefer a fixed Bi Pod .

To avoid starting a new thread. Looking to get a bipod for AR-15. Any recommendation? I purchased an M-Lok bipod mount. Should have just looked for a M-Lok bipod. Oh well, for what I already have on it have looked at Caldwell/Harris/Blackhawk at the store. Any big difference between them other than price. I have a bipod on a 22lr made from Caldwell. I have been using bags. At least for the Ar-15 want to get a bipod for it.

Never seen one of those. How sturdy are those and does it work well with a 30rd magazine? How high are those? Interchangeable on sies? Thanks for the option.

Last Sunday was the first time shooting this season , kind of on the cold side 50° shot OK but was nice seeing my shooting buddies . One of my friends had a new type of bi pod set up , it is a 1 1/2 " tube that runs under the stock to the tip of the barrel , looks like a granade launcher with legs . Very sturdy . First time I ever saw a bit pod like that . Shooting from a bench , all name brands are good . Take your pick .

I shoot so little from a rest that I usually just throw my day-pack on the hood of my Ranger and maybe a folded jacket on top of that and it's good enough for me to sight in or even do some load evaluations. But then, I shoot in the woods. It's been years since I last shot at an actual rifle range. A bench rest is great for load work-ups. sighting in, and accuracy evaluations. But I prefer to shoot off-hand or kneeling, maybe sitting if the range is long and there is sufficient time to assume position. I have never shot any game from a benchrest; therefore, I practice for what is most likely to happen when hunting. I don't even own a bi-pod as I think it would be useless for hunting in the Pacific Northwest. Your world could be a lot different, though.

Never seen one of those. How sturdy are those and does it work well with a 30rd magazine? How high are those? Interchangeable on sies? Thanks for the option.

They are great! Very sturdy, and yes if you switch sides it has different height options. It is 8.5" x 6.5" x 3" The only downside is it doesn't really fit in a range bag (depending on your bag) but I just carry it down if I am going to spend extended time on a rest.

I prefer both. It depends on my rig. I use a Bipod on my heavier Varmint. I shoot it off a table for both practice and hunting. On my other lighter rifles that I carry into the woods I use bag. Not as a gun rest but to steady my left forearm. I'll sight those rifles sitting at a range bench shooting off my elbows. On some rifles I get a different zero between holding the rifle and a bipod. Particularly on lighter rifles with more recoil. I try to sight the guns in as close to the way they are used. On a good day, I can shoot as well leaning on bags as with a bipod. Some rifles better. For example my Tikka 7mm-08 with a bipod jumps too much on a bench. That said it will jump off bags too if you don't hold the forend.

For example my Tikka 7mm-08 with a bipod jumps too much on a bench. That said it will jump off bags too if you don't hold the forend.
I've experienced the same thing with my 7-08 BLR--your point of replicating the weapon hold as an important way to predict bullet impact is a very good one.

Back