bipod vs front bag rest

I used to keep bipods on my rifles but have come to prefer bags.

Bags plus squeeze socks are awesome. I take squirrels with head shots at 100 yards.

Regards,
Josh

What about extreme long range prone shots?
As I've said, you'll get better groups with a bag over a bi-pod. I also said that a bipod may be good enough for what you're doing. A lot depends on the gun and the bedding of the barrel, weight of gun, and many other things. I once had a Savage 112V in .243 that would always shoot better off bags than using a bi-pod. No revelations there. But, I once shot at two woodchucks heads in a hay field at a measured 440 yards and hit both of them with one shot each fired back-to-back. The gun was still capable even with a bi-pod. Your real problem is shooting off the bench, not soft ground as much. Concrete or solid lumber just has too much bounce. Take your gun out with bags and with bi-pod and shoot some three hundred or four hundred yard groups and actually see what happens. The proof is in the pudding as they say. I've spent many, many years shooting groups, owned dozens of varmint guns, and hunted woodchucks to a point of obsession. Being a very old geezer I've picked up a trick or two along the way. Not all of my time was wasted. However, doing is the best tool for learning....and shooting is always fun.

Great article unclenick! thanks much for that. It's funny--it seems like if you look around enough , you'll eventually find two shooters with opposite opinions and approaches but each still achieve exceptional results.;)

F-class

There is a whole range of competition known as F-class that is shot prone, with a rear bag and a front rest, either bipod or mechanical. That shooting goes out to 1200 yds that I am aware of and maybe beyond. F-class is broken into two classes, F-Open and F-TR. Without going into a lot of detail F-TR is .223 or .308, with a rear bag and a bipod front. Their are some very specialized bipods available, look up Sinclair bipods as example. While a bag or mechanical rest is theoretically more stable, there is some very good shooting done in F-TR from a bipod.

Let me get down to nut's n bolts to what I'm trying to get at. I'm not a long or extended range shooter as of yet--so obviously I don't have an informed opinion one way or the other based on actual experience--which is why I'm asking here.

When I look at all the utube stuff on extreme range shooting--like the king of 2 mile etc.--it appears to me that most of the exceptional shooters use bipods for their front support. I'm assuming at those kinds of ranges these shooters have done everything they can to reduce induced flaws to accuracy and precision in their systems.

Hopefully not intruding, if so please disregard the post.

Is there a bag that is good for bench? I currently use this one: https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...y&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-027-025

I filled it with cat litter and I noticed when using the bag, the rifle sinks on the bag, enough to where I have to "adjust" the bag. I can only think the litter does get crush enough that causes the rifle to sink. Perhaps, I just got a cheap bag/correct bag and/or need to fill it with something better (more solid).

I actually use almost exclusive bags off the bench--but unless they are filled rock-solid I find the contents is always shifting and settling--especially with the big bangers.

ninosdemente said:
I filled it with cat litter and I noticed when using the bag, the rifle sinks on the bag, enough to where I have to "adjust" the bag.

stagpanther said:
I actually use almost exclusive bags off the bench--but unless they are filled rock-solid I find the contents is always shifting and settling--especially with the big bangers.

Yes, but that's sort of the point, isn't it? That settling allows precise adjustment and gives the bag a dead quality with no bounce to it.

Yes, but that's sort of the point, isn't it? That settling allows precise adjustment and gives the bag a dead quality with no bounce to it.
True--but it also means (at least in my case) adding an external pressure point when squeezing bag/material which in turn takes time and precision to repeat.

True--but it also means (at least in my case) adding an external pressure point when squeezing bag/material which in turn takes time and precision to repeat.

I could add another gripe: At some point in my string, the bag will have settled so that a light squeeze doesn't give sufficient height - I have to move the bag around to get the contents to fluff up a bit, like fixing a flat pillow.

Yet, it is very stable once arranged for a specific shot. I would use the bags more often if I could find a lighter medium that would provide the same stability.

If testing the accuracy limits of load/rifle am getting better accuracy with bags front/back and off a bench. Have moved toward not using a front bag, as realistically won't have one with me immediately,shooting off the ground and considering starting to get away from a rear bag. Am cognizant accuracy may suffer.

Used to hunt and test the hunting rifles/loads on bags, but had to remember to actually sight them in by resting them/gripping them like they would be held in the field.

When I started to use bipods it was after I had acquired all the data that was pertinent to me. For example, as I did loads for my rifles I used a front and rear bags to get the most consistent and repeatable shot groups with a specific load that the rifles would like. Once I got the load for those rifles I shot groups and did a ladder test at 300 yards for confirmation. Now that I know what is best load for my specific rifle I know in my heart that is the most accurate load. Too me what ever variances occur because I am using a bipod or shooting sticks I know that the rifle has the most accurate loads it likes. As I am not a competition shooter but more of a hunter I find the variances so minuscule that it does not affect point of impact for a humane kill, given that you have a specific size target for the vital organs.

I though the sturdier the bag, the better. When that happens I feel as when looking through scope, The rifle sits lower and uncomfortable thus making me adjust the bag.

Back