Big & Slow vs. Small & Fast

It’s always interesting to see other perspective. I’m glad people have different opinions and think independently, it’s how we develop new stuff

I think grilled venison with marrow bones is alright, for instance:
9ozKj9k.jpg

I used to be tied down to the way my dad did it because that’s what was “right”

Now I sometimes do things differently. For instance I like to shoot small deer through the shoulders with a 180gr Accubond from a 300WSM. I’m always amazed at how little meat loss I get with this combo. The heavy bullet transfers energy more slowly instead of all at once so messy splash wounds are rare. I butcher my own stuff so I know that from this shot I lost at most 1 package of burger and half a heart. This was a 90lb coues buck. I understand most people would describe this method as unconventional. However I have a color blindness that prevents me from seeing blood trails without snow so I find shoulder shots to be the cats ass, for lack of a better term. This one went exactly down, which is why I shot him there:
Bse9Scg.jpg

4ZvPCn3.jpg

Besides, speaking of wasting stuff, if I shoot them a bit too far back with an explosive bullet and I might waste the liver. Which would be a shame, to miss out on educational and delicious meals with my daughters

zZJ9sfh.jpg

The deal is though, light/fast and slow/heavy are both effective ways to kill stuff. Some prefer one over the other which is great. At the risk of being unpopular, I think both can be tailored to your style of hunting and to your table needs without much disrespect

Last edited:
In Alaska they have a law (Wanton Waste), where in they cite a person for willfully wasting meat of game animals. The scenario you describe is arguably wanton waste.

I have never had a deer that tasted bad...certainly none that would require feeding to the dogs. It is frequently said that one has to know how to cook deer meat. As evidenced by the fact that most people in my area reduce deer to summer sausage instead of using the meat fresh, they do not. But that is no reason to intentionally take a shot that destroys the meat. If the "shooter" had not taken the shot in your scenario, maybe the next hunter would have treated that treasure trove of meat differently as well as collecting a trophy.
Processing a deer and using the meat for some purpose is not even borderline illegal. Leaving the animal unprocessed to rot is what is illegal. I know how to butcher and cook deer. The 6 to 10 does my family eat each year are evidence of that. I dont like the way a rutting buck tastes. Never have. Never will.

Back