Big, heavy 9mm suggestions ?

I am the original owner of an ancient Taurus PT99AF in 9mm. It has the safety on the frame. It's large and fills the hands well. It is not as heavy as it looks as the frame is aluminum. Of course, a full magazine adds some weight.

I shoot a little better with it than with my Hi-Power. Recoil with the PT99 is very manageable. The PT99 has been reliable.

I have/had several Beretta 92's. Excellent pistols and they never have a FTF/FTE. (Some may not like the slide mounted safety/decocker. But if you don't want the safety, the 92G decock only works well.)

Also a fan of the Sig226 - very accurate and very intuitive controls and function.

Big and Heavy to me says AR pattern pistol at which point why settle for something as puny as 9mm when you can have .223, .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8, ...

By the time you get to .458 SOCOM you can be launching bullets that weigh four times the typical 9mm. ;)

I have/had several Beretta 92's. Excellent pistols and they never have a FTF/FTE. (Some may not like the slide mounted safety/decocker. But if you don't want the safety, the 92G decock only works well.)

Also a fan of the Sig226 - very accurate and very intuitive controls and function.
92X Performance is on my very short list of possible guns, and has the safety on the frame.

I had a Taurus 92 that never gave a bit of trouble but the grip was slightly large for my short fingers and I traded it off. I have been shooting a 9 mm Taurus PT1911 for several years now without any problem what so ever and it is a heavy gun weighing two ounces more than my 45 acp versions. It has a very good trigger and nothing needed slicking up. I shoot a lot of lead reloads and haven't found any bullet shape it won't reliably handle.

Well, I looked into the Taurus 92....but my concern is the trigger won't be improvable if needed. And. I cant replacevthe front sight with a fiber optic.
But...price is attractive.
I bought a gently used Taurus PT92 FS today. I haven't shot it yet but the SA trigger is quite nice. I can't comment on the DA trigger as I don't use DA on anything.

If money is a concern, some of the Turkish CZ clones (especially any made by Canik) are great options. Tri-Star has a line of CZ-75 clones that are very reasonably priced, when you can find them. Girsan is another Turkish brand that gets good reviews and has a line of Beretta 92 clones. If you are a fan of the Beretta brand, one of the Px4 Storm line might fill the same niche as the 92, but for a lower price tag.

I’ll throw my two cents in with the recommendation for a Beretta 92FS.
I’ve gussied mine up with the LTT TJIAB, WC fluted guide rod & flatwire recoil spring, and the G-series decocker. It’s one of my favorites, and gets carried regularly. Absolute tack-driver!

When I think "big, heavy 9mm," my mind goes straight to 3rd gen S&Ws. Probably not the biggest, or the heaviest, but I still think they're cool.

When I think "big, heavy 9mm," my mind goes straight to 3rd gen S&Ws. Probably not the biggest, or the heaviest, but I still think they're cool.
5904 and 5906 are on my list of possible buys.
CZ and Beretta are still at the top, but 5906 isnt far behind.

I know it's not an all-metal option, but the Canik TP9SF series--particularly the SFx is a pretty solid choice. It's heavy enough, decently cheap (around $550), reliable, and full-sized. Plus, it's got some pretty cool features. The gun's very well-priced. And if you don't want the extra premium stuff, you can find a TP9SF for around $150 bucks cheaper.

I like this line of guns :)

Big, heavy/solid 9mm with DA/SA trigger...

CZ 75 (I have a pre B). Love it.
Beretta 92FS.
Sig P226.
You can get new, or used.

S&W 3rd Gen, especially 5906. Stout, stainless beast.
Star 30M- not stainless. Feels possibly more massive than the S&W. Very smooth slide. Kinda makes 9mm feel like a 22lr.
Daewoo DP 51; a bit smaller, with an aluminum frame so it's lighter too. Can buy it new as the Lionheart LH9, or used as the Daewoo. Mine's a tack driver.

CZ (Zastava) 99 (999, etc). Highly underrated gun, people love to make fun of them, but they're easy as hell to shoot great. My experience mirrors Hickok's, watch his review. He joked about it awhile, and then finally conceded it was a great shooter, and the gun you shoot best might not be the gun you like best.

I'd take a look also at the Arex Rex Zero and Rex Alpha.
There is also a Turkish Browning Hi Power clone but I can't remember the manufacturer. Girsan and Sarsilmaz make some good inexpensive Beretta 92 and CZ 75 clones.

I recommended a CZ-75 to a friend many years ago and he loves it and still uses it to this day. I had a S&W 915 I just gave to my son and those sell for a little less than most S&Ws because of matt finish on the metal. But nothing wrong with how they shoot.

But I'm curious, what was it about the SD9 you didn't like? I just bought a new one a few months ago and I haven't shot yet and have an older SW9 that has been a flawless shooter for me. Its decently accurate and never ever fails in any way.

Back