Big Game Rifle Caliber?

You talking 7mm STW, 7mm Weatherby mag, 7mm RUM, 7mm RSAUM, 7mm Dakota, or 7mm WSM?

Why does everyone keep saying "7 mag" - there is no such chambering.

I'm going to guess that they mean 7mm REMINGTON Magnum, which probably sells more guns and ammo than all the ones you remembered put together.

If you just want to hunt successfully and are not in to trivial data crunching just get a 30-06 and be done with it.

The 30-06 seems to be a pretty good consensus...the .308 would probably be a good choice as well, but I think I am leaning towards a 30-06.

I appreciate all the help. Sorry I don't know all the correct lingo for rifles.

There is nothing in this world that hasn't been killed with the '06.

Yup there are bigger, newer rounds out there, but I don't care how tough you are, the '06 (or my favorite the 270) works quite well and is easier to shoot.

In hunting you spend more time carrying your rifle then shooting it. I like light rifles for that reason (I admit, I'm old and lazy).

The easier the rifle is to shoot, the more you'll shoot it, the more you shoot it, the better shot you'll be.

Of the rifles you listed I think you'll be happier with the '06 in the long run.

As said I like the 270 Win but that wasn't on your list. I hunt elk with the 270 and it works great, so I have a hard time believing that the '06 with heavier bullets wont work.

Ammo is available anywhere and its extremely easy to load for.

Yea it seems like the '06 is a good way to go...and would still be just fine for target shooting and improving my shot. .308 would be fine too...kind of toss up but I am leaning towards the 30-06

OP, if I were buying a mid-range calibre hunting rifle all over again, I'd probably go .30-06 (I had reasons for choosing .303 British that don't apply to you). I came very close to buying a 6.5 Swede, but that's probably too close to the .243 you already have.

7mm Rem Mag is my favorite large game, long range round. It's a bit expensive for constant target practice though. Reloading is your friend in that situation.

.270 win is so close to the 7mm rem mag, that it's not even worth the difference in the price of the ammo, IMO.

I just think the 300WM would be tough for target shooting. It would be great hunting rifle, but I am not sure how pleasant it would be target shooting. If I got 9lb rifle and had a muzzle brake it wouldn't be bad at all, but I have to decide whether or not I would really want a muzzle brake.

I have hunted with a 300 Win and a 300 WBY and they are OK if you can get perfect posture, don't need to make a left handed shot etc. But, they can dot your eye if you are out of position concentrating on making the shot that you have rather than setting up for heavy recoil. Shooting them off the bench is no big deal if you want to haul one with you.

If you got into handloading you could get the .300 win mag and load it down near .308 velocity if you wanted to, then crank it up to max loads for long range hunting. It would be kinda like having the .308 .30-06 and .300wm all in one. Reloading gives you so many options. It's very addictive.

I just don't know when I will have the cash for reloading equipment. Right now I have a lot of other hunting items to buy including a pack, optics, range finder, etc...all of which are pretty pricey.

I have a Savage 111 in .270 and it is a tack driver. I would not feel under-gunned with it hunting anything in the lower 48. The good thing about Savage rifles is they are affordable so you can put good optics on it. You can also buy barrels in other calibers that use the same action such as 30-06 if you want to for a couple hundred dollars and a few special tools.

The only true flat shooter I have left in my quiver is an old Sako chambered in .243 caliber ! Most critters I hunt in MN can be taken with my 30-30 , 45-70 with light to moderate loads , and my favorite handguns in a new 10mm , .357 , or .44 caliber ! I bought a .338 Winchester magnum years back for the specific reason to hunt larger game with and I loved the rifle ( but sold it due to lack of need ) ! I used to shoot with an old pal of mine who had a Winchester model 70 chambered in .375 H&H magnum which his dad bought for Alaskan moose hunting and gave it to him ! The big magnums are actually a blast to shoot at least when I was younger but now would look for something a bit more manageable in a lighter built rifle ! As mentioned , light rifles are less of a burden in rugged country and something like the 30-06 or .270 has taken a lot of game ! More power to the folks that like the big magnums....I wish I had a good reason for one but I don't at this time !

Last edited:
Back