Big bore - which caliber?

The biggest I own are 44mgs & 45Colt. I've had 454s, 50DE, 44 AM and 445 SM. I have shot most of the others but only one that impressed me was the 460 but I don't have any
use for one.

While I like my 480 just fine, if I wanted a big caliber and didn't own any I would favor the 460 S&W over all the rest.

If you just hate the X-frame, get it in the BFR.

It is a great cartridge and is very versatile. In general it will post up velocities about 200 FPS faster than the Casull, but it does so with the "45" soft push recoil vs the hard snap most people associate with the Casull.

You can do a 200 grain around 2300 FPS, or a 400 grain @ 1650 and everything in between.

The 460 S&W is my favorite of the big bores. The 480 Ruger is a close second though. I have the SBH and I think I would like it better if I had a SRH instead. Better Grips!

I'd be inclined toward the .480, specifically the 6.5" Bisley SBH, tho I'd not turn my nose up at a .475 BFR. Then again, I just want a '.48 Colt' shooting 350gr boolitz at 900fps. I've got several .41Mags for 'serious' work, so this would just be a range toy for me.

I love my .357 Max, but not what I'd consider a big bore. If you're just looking for a range toy though (or a deer/pig/bear hammer) they're a lot of fun.

I tamed the snappyness of the .454 Casull with a 7 1/2 inch barrel on a Freedom Arms. Mass and barrel length are your friend. Big boom. Big and heavy in your hand and in your load is your friend. Light and fast hurt my paw.

5 1/2” Blackhawk .45 Colt with stout “ruger only” loads was also substantial. There isn’t a gnat’s fart of difference between .45 and .44 when one handloads.

I’d vote for .480 Ruger but what I have done is scaled back to .44 Magnum Blackhawk and no need to push either. I am lusting a Single Seven (new fangled 32-20 in straight wall) but in all practicality I picked up an old Single Six .22 for a song and it’s a joy to carry in the woods.

My advice is that if you need big bore, plan for trading it in a few years. Get a big heavy top quality gun and get it used. I’m glad I got to shoot .454 Casull extensively, but in the end... .44 or .45 ruger loads will do anything in North America.

My excuse: my sister and brother in law managed a game preserve in Tanzania. And no, I never went on safari. But I COULD have shot a buffalo... or a T-Rex.

Short answer: any good deal on a quality used big bore will be equally fun and educational. Keep eyes open and see what comes around. Just like you did!

By the way.. the worst hand pain and nasty supersonic crack and enormous fireball came from .357 Maximum out of a scoped 12” Contender. .357 Max taught me why to go big bore. Getting a huge shove in .45 vs getting your hand slapped hard in .357 max. Interesting, but I have no regrets about selling that one!

Last edited:
My used SRH .480 Ruger will be delivered today, loading supplies tomorrow, so I will give you a report soon. This is the conservative choice. Watch Jeff Quinn's recent Gunblast video for a truly outrageous .500 Smith. Not for me.

Interesting comments on the .505 Gibbs, etc. I was checking out .404 Jeffery recently, but the available guns were a little pricey. That's the parent case for a number of recent cartridges, and just seems more elegant than the .375 H&H and the "belted" magnums derived from it (though I have two of 'em). Maybe I'll find another good Mauser action.

Hey, sanity is an overrated virtue.
Wise choice there ligonierbill.

The sad thing of it is so many 454s, 460s, 500s, etc. are languishing in their owners’ safes only to be talked about as they shoot their .22s!

A 44 Magnum is more than enough for me at age 72. After almost 60 years of shooting magnum revolvers with a variety of loads (not all full magnums either, by and large), I've found my wrists just plain hurt after even a moderate session on the range with any heavily loaded gun. The joints are wearing thin, much like an old time carpenter's (those in the trades before nailers became into common usage.)

The really big bores have their place: elk in the high country timber, backup for fishing in bear country, etc., but they do exact a price for their power and it takes practice to maintain proficiency with them. The slamming recoil, not to mention the severe db audio levels are quickly damaging.

You young guys might give that some thought over the years, and take care of yourselves....don't forget double hearing protection either. My hearing is on the way out now (wife would say it's been gone for years)...and I wear VA supplied aids. I've shot all my life, & always worn muffs, aside from a cpl tours in Vietnam, and flown jet aircraft for my professional career...it builds up...take care of yourselves.

YMMV, but I don't think so...Rod

Last edited:
The sad thing of it is so many 454s, 460s, 500s, etc. are languishing in their owners’ safes only to be talked about as they shoot their .22s!

There is a lot of truth to this and I honestly thought I would fall into that group. Unfortunately, I can’t get enough of my .44mag and .454 to the extent I am getting into reloading just for them and a BFR .475Linebaugh that I am buying..:D

Definitely true for those who are shooting factory ammo. It's VERY expensive.

As a reloader, I shoot all my big bore guns regularly and I enjoy creating many and varied loads for them. You need to be able to shoot a gun a lot to become skilled with it and at 3 or 4 dollars a round that's just not going to happen for most.

I can reload 100 rounds of 300 grain Speer Deep Curl HP in my 460 S&W for about $35 since I have reloaded the so brass many times. Even if I used new brass every time it would still be one third of the price vs factory loads.

Enjoy the 480 Ruger, it's a beast!

Back