Big bore - which caliber?

In handgun cartridges, bigger is better. Going up from 45 Colt to 454 Casull only gains you velocity, which theoretically increases your range, but can you hit anything at the extended range? Most people cannot. A muzzle velocity of around 1300 fps gives you all the penetration you might ever need, without going overboard on muzzle flash or recoil.
The 480 Ruger will up your power over a Colt or 44 magnum without being uncontrollable. A 350-400 grain bullet at 1200 fps will kill anything that walks or crawls.
Nailed it!

I would suggest a 500 JRH, can be loaded up or down and makes a bigger hole.

A BFR is very packable and very good bang for buck- pun intended

or you can go with customs if your budget allows

be safe
Ruggy

P1070192_zpssyuddnpx.jpg

If a fellow wanted more punch than .44 magnum or .45 Colt "Ruger only", what caliber should he look to? Leave out the S&W X-frame. Just too big for me to carry. Thinking the .480 Ruger (or Linebaugh's stouter version) or .454 Casull, but all suggestions are welcome. Load my own, of course.

I personally don't see any advantage of a .454 over so called "Ruger Only" loads outta the same platform. One of the reasons the .454 is kinda the "red headed step child" of big bores is because of the harsh recoil in most of the readily available platforms. The little bit of gain is not worth the pain to most folks. One reason for the X-Frames is so that the shooting experience is pleasant enough for the average hand-gunner to become highly proficient with. As black mamba said, only thing you gain from more velocity outta the same caliber projectile is range. If one wants to legitimately hunt big game @ 150 yards with a handgun, you are not going to do it one handed, or without some form of rest. You are not worried about "packability" as much as accuracy and a humane shot. If the desire is not to hunt with a revolver at extended ranges, then proficiency isn't as much as a concern and one can stand a little bit of pain at the range every once in a while to make sure the gun and ammo still fire. If I wanted something packable, that makes a bigger hole than a .45, that is still halfway pleasant to shoot, and since I reload, I'd seriously consider the .50 AE.

If you like single actions, I would definitely try to find a BFR in 475L/480R over the Super Redhawk. It is much more pleasant to shoot... much. I have the 6.5" BFR and have been very pleased with it to this point.

I like the short cylinder BFRs.

If a heavy loaded .45 Colt or a .44 Magnum won't handle your game, then I'd suggest a good .577 double rifle, or a .505 Gibbs.
I agree... Unless you are just wanting to punish your arms, hands and ears for no good reason. Some people do.... and call it 'fun' :eek: .

My used SRH .480 Ruger will be delivered today, loading supplies tomorrow, so I will give you a report soon. This is the conservative choice. Watch Jeff Quinn's recent Gunblast video for a truly outrageous .500 Smith. Not for me.

Interesting comments on the .505 Gibbs, etc. I was checking out .404 Jeffery recently, but the available guns were a little pricey. That's the parent case for a number of recent cartridges, and just seems more elegant than the .375 H&H and the "belted" magnums derived from it (though I have two of 'em). Maybe I'll find another good Mauser action.

Hey, sanity is an overrated virtue.

^nothing about the 480ruger is punishing.

That is a matter of opinion and experience shooting these kinds of guns. I went from 41 mag to the 480 Ruger and I felt it was punishing to shoot initially in the SRH.

LigonierBill: Congrats on the new acquisition by the way. I hope you enjoy it.

Jeff Quinn can't shoot. He locks his elbows and let's his wrists break and a 475 BFR nearly hits him in the face.

Last I checked a 577 or 505 didn't fit into a belt holster. :rolleyes:

I think you'll like the new big bore.

---

As for 'punishment'...
I don't think it's bad at all.
If you told me I had to shoot 200 rounds of full power loads, and had to pick one of my .44s or the .480... it would be the .480.

But, as is always mentioned in discussions about such things, recoil is perceived differently by different people. Different sized hands. Fat fingers. Skinny fingers. Sensitive palms. Large grips. Little grips. Heavy revolvers. Light revolvers. Different shooting styles. Light loads. Heavy loads. Insane loads. Wood grips. Rubber grips. Smooth grips. Finger-groove grips...
...There are many factors that can come into play - especially if comparing different types of revolver, like single-actions vs double-actions.

It's not a handgun example, but...
I can shoot my custom .444 Marlin all day without an issue. But if my father fires it a single time, it causes him substantial shoulder pain. (Old injury.)
On the flip side, he can shoot his .450 Nitro double rifle for 20-40 rounds without any side effects. But I can't fire it a single time without the thing cracking my neck and causing instant pain. (Something about my technique, and the stock is too short for me. :rolleyes:)

Big medicine

Other than the aforementioned calibers, give some thought to a .357 Maximum.

Great on boar and deer. If only some one would come out with a carbine in this caliber, we would have a sweet combo.

You are correct that recoil and how much you enjoy it is relative.
However compared to a 454 or 460/500. The 480 isn't punishing at all. Obviously it's still a large powerful caliber.

I really like the idea of the .475, I haven't given it any thought until this thread. Thank you all for the info.

If a heavy loaded .45 Colt or a .44 Magnum won't handle your game, then I'd suggest a good .577 double rifle, or a .505 Gibbs.
Righto, Bob Wright. My favorite 45 Colt load of 10gr of Unique under a 280gr SWC blew through a 150# hog from just below the left eye socket to a large hole in the right ham.

I just got back from the range, so I thought I'd give my first impressions of the Super Redhawk 480. I was working up 325 XTP and 410 Cast Performance GC over H110. It's subjective, of course, but I did not find it at all unpleasant. A noticeable impact on the web of my right hand, but nothing like the .45 Colt Blackhawk with heavy loads. Weight and grip make a big difference.

A notch below Hodgdons' max for the XTP, it generates 1,408 avg/ 8.6 Std. With the big cast bullets, I stopped a grain and a half below max. Already doing 1,247 avg/6.4 Std. Accuracy looks good, particularly with the cast, but I need work with any handgun.

This is a heavy gun to carry, but that's the only thing that would put me off hunting with it.

Most of the big ones are heavy. They need to be. Glad you enjoyed your new 480. It really is a great caliber for just about any North American game animal from whitetail deer "up".
I had the same experience with the web of my right hand the first time I shot my SRH 480. There was blood. But I adjust my grip a little and started wearing a shooting glove. Made a lot of difference.

Glad you enjoyed shooting it.
I put 60 rounds through mine on the 4th. Everytime I shoot it. I realize how much I love the gun.

Back