Between the .44 Magnum, .454 Casull or the 10mm, which caliber is the best choice?

Between the .44 Magnum, .454 Casull or the 10mm, which caliber is the best choice?

• .44 Magnum

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • .454 Casull

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • 10mm

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, most shooters cannot shoot a 10mm, a .44M or a .454C at all well for the first shot, let alone follow-up shots.

But we are not talking about 'most' shooters. We are talking about what WE can do. Big difference Kemosabe.

Deaf

Don't entirely agree with this. The 454 is a good human defense round when you need to put a hole through your primary target so you can see the secondary standing behind him. ; )

I can confidently say that the secondary target behind the primary target would be wearing the same pass through hole from the same bullet.

This is like watching a bunch of uber fanbois having a verbal skirmish over who is more bad butt, The Punisher, The Thing or The Hulk, but more pointless and surprisingly entertaining.

Honey, I'm sure which ever you choose, whatever humanoid that deigns to attack you will cease and desist pretty quickly.

10 Miker-Miker. :cool:

Tremendous stopping power, mag cap is bonkers. Reloads are fast.

With the revos, capacity is nerfed and reload speed is wack.

I'm surprised everyone is saying 10mm is overkill.

I still believe that most handgun calibers are underpowered, and includes the 10mm.

Of course hand guns are under powered. Try shooting a pistol chambered in 30.06 with a hand.
Maybe not 30-06--but I have a spare lR308 receiver lying around and the sirens have been calling me to make a pistol out of it--might just have to see what a 7mm-08 or 260 is like.

Back in the 80s at the range I met a guy who has a Thompson Contender pistol with several barrels in various calibers including rifle calibers. It was interesting watching him shoot it. I remember the 30.30 and IIRC a 45.70. Those were a sight to behold.

Back in the 80s at the range I met a guy who has a Thompson Contender pistol with several barrels in various calibers including rifle calibers. It was interesting watching him shoot it. I remember the 30.30 and IIRC a 45.70. Those were a sight to behold.
I love the "home flame-thrower" recipes though might not be ideal for home SD in the dark. lol. My hot 44 mag loads with Lil' Gun is one of the best great balls of fire makers I've found.

I have both those calibers for my Contender. LOVE the .30-30, DETEST the .45-70. Don't even shoot it anymore.:(

Of those three probably the 10mm ONLY because the 44 and 454 really aren't designed as antipersonnel rounds. 10mm hype is insane though, it in no way is "almost" a .41 Mag or .44 mag.

10mm is a little faster than the .40 and as such isn't "much more powerful", that's insane. Common sense is that the 10mm is much more like a .40 than a .41 Mag. Here's some examples of personal handloads in each:

.40 S&W G23 4" KKM: 180gr XTP @ 1210 fps
10mm G29 4.2" KKM: 180gr Gold Dot @ 1250 fps
.41 Mag 4.6" BH: 265gr cast @ 1420 fps

With Underwood ammo at 180g the 10mm is 200 fps faster than the 40sw.

1300 fps vs 1100 fps.

The 41mag? Insane fast and with UW 210g is 1560 fps.

I have both the 10mm and the 44 mag, and I used to have a 454 casull. Out of the 3 I'd take a 44 mag because it's what I'm most accurate with and has the added bonus of the 44 special. To me the 44 special is ideal for self defense for two legs and a full bore 44 mag will handle anything with 4 legs on this continent. I've always thought of the 10mm as a magnum round for autoloaders.
I love the 454 casull, but cost per round factor and ammo availability is what led me to get rid of it. Out of the 3, 44 mag is probably the best with the 10mm trailing a close second.

Out of your choices, I'd go with the .44mag loaded with .44spl or 10mm loaded to .40S&W levels. I live in the city, in a poorly built apartment, I'd be worried about overpenetration with any of your choices as is. I could make the same choice with a .454 and load with .45LC, but the guns made for .454 are a bit larger than I'd want to carry around (though they'd be fine for HD I suppose). When camping or fishing with less worry of overpenetration, I'd make pretty much the same choice (one of my personal choices in that case is my .45LC S&W 625MG, which is close enough to the .44mag in the loadings I'd pick).

All good rounds but for the question posed, the 10mm is the better choice. If you are a handloader, you can load it down to 40 S&W levels and up to into the notch between a 357 mag and a 44 mag. It also it about the easiest of the three to get either as a revolver or a semi. YMMV

I have been shooting the 10mm since 1991. Carried it on duty as an Armed Security Officer. It kept me alive while patrolling the "mean streets" of Portland, OR. (Thanks to all the "lefties" running the city, it is a dangerous place). I outshot men with their 9's and .40's. I wanted an "edge" as well as to go home at the end of my underpaid shift. :cool: I'm quite fond of breathing, and wanted to keep doing so.

The 10mm kept me alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back