Between the .44 Magnum, .454 Casull or the 10mm, which caliber is the best choice?

Between the .44 Magnum, .454 Casull or the 10mm, which caliber is the best choice?

• .44 Magnum

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • .454 Casull

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • 10mm

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Same advice with 10mm. Even downloaded to 40 S&W levels it is more than adequate. With hotter loads and heavy bullets it is closer to short barreled 44 mag power levels than most realize."

Internet BS...

I'm a HUGE FAN of the 10mm and carry one on duty and off if I can. As great as it is the 10mm has far less power than either the .44 Mag or .454.

With similar barrel lengths both the .44 Mag and .454 have FAR MORE power than the .41 Mag and the 10mm only has about 85% (maybe) the power of the .41 Magnum.

T.

Last edited:
Internet BS...
Well, it is certainly BS.

But what's sort of funny is that the only place I've ever seen the 41Mag=10mm debunked is on the internet. On the other hand, I regularly see gun magazine articles talking about how the 10mm meets or exceeds 41Mag performance.

Hmmm--I actively shoot and reload for all 3--I don't think there is as much BS to some of these claims as it appears; though I certainly agree 10mm in not in the same league as a 41 or 44 mag. On the other hand, a warm 41 mag load being comparable to a mild 44 mag--there is certain some validity to that IMO. These outputs, while not totally apples to apples show xtp's in fairly comparable 180 gr for a 10mm, 210 gr for 41 mag and 200 gr for 44 mag.

Most internet/mag comparisons I've seen about a 10 have been to a 357 mag--and what makes the 10 so remarkable is that we are talking about a small rimless semi-auto cartridge. Underwood and BB have loads getting 750 ftlbs of energy--hard to think of other common production semi-auto's that get that kind of fire-power--especially when you're talking 15 rounds total in something like a Glock.

The "magic" behind the 41 compared to the 44 is that it gets great performance at warmer loads that are in fact IMO comparable to mild 44 mag loads that are downloaded to recoil impact levels that I personally feel are "softer" in the range of what you would feel with the 41. I think most people that actively shoot the 41 and 44 revolvers would probably agree with that.

Last edited:
The .454 is for facing down an Alaskan Brown Bear Monster...

Really, .38 Special is fine for self defense against a human. I wouldn't want to face a .22.

What nobody considers is that in a self defense situation you will have no ear protection. A powerful gun makes a powerful noise. A .454 will just about make your ears bleed... you really don't want to shoot one without protection unless the alternative is to be eaten by a bear.

I have always thought deer and humans pretty similar in terms of "toughness" as pertaining to taking a round from a firearm.

Maybe if you're comparing the two as pentration media.

Pound for pound, a human is probably one of the weakest mammals that wanders the planet. You wont see a 200lb man outwrestle a 200 lb deer, and you won't see a lung shot human run a 1/4 mile as frequently as a deer.

Yes, I was speaking more in terms of physical similarities, thickness of muscle tissue and bones, and how much has to be penetrated to get a bullet into the boiler room..

A 40lb chimp would whoop any of us at arm wrestling.

10mm

I am a semi auto guy so I love the 10mm. It gives me the ability to follow up quickly on my shoots and the recoils if greatly less compared to the other calibers.

My wife loves shooting her 1911 in 10mm. She will not shoot my ruger hunter in 44 mag which weights alot more. If the 10mm can't stop them I'm not sure the others will either. It always comes down to shot placement, penetration, and energy transfer. Sure velocity makes bullets open up more which in turn produces energy transfer. The wound channel from the 454 is gona be a Lil broader than the 10mm with the same bullet but probably not enough if it's a bad shot. It takes alot longer to recover from the recoil of the 454 so a second shot from the 10mm will be much faster. A com hit with any of the 3 will almost I did say almost always be fatal but relying on any bullet or caliber to stop them with one shot could be your fatal mistake. It's very easy to research law enforcement shootings, military gun fights, and personal protection cases. They all show a very low percentage of hits to rounds fired. So with all that said I would choose 10mm. Plenty of power and faster second shots.

but isn't any better(or worse) than a .45 ACP(or .40 S&W)

Well, I would disagree. I would say that 10mm is significantly better than .45 acp, and much better than the .40 S&W.

Compared to .45, you get more capacity, and more velocity and energy, and a better sectional density in the same sized package.

Compared to a .40, you get much a round that's not shoehorned into a platform that is really too small or at least marginal to contain the round. And of course, much more power.

My favorite semi-auto rounds, in order, are: 9x19mm, 10mm, and .45 acp
Favorite revolver round is .45 Colt.

Definitely the 10mm out of those choices. More of them and although a strong cartridge, it's still more controllable than the .44 or the .454

The .454 casull hurts your hands when you shoot it, just one shot does it. It's an overpowered handgun round. It's totally unnecessary for humans.
Don't entirely agree with this. The 454 is a good human defense round when you need to put a hole through your primary target so you can see the secondary standing behind him. ; )

Don't entirely agree with this. The 454 is a good human defense round when you need to put a hole through your primary target so you can see the secondary standing behind him. ; )

Actually you get 200 grain slugs in the .454 and jack them up to 1600 fps and it will stay in the primary and end up with a 1 inch hole through them. My Toklat can get 1600 fps with a 200 grain Speer 'flying ashtray' and it's well below the max (and I mean well below!)

Deaf

I have a S&W 29-3 more than meets my requirements for making noise and exploding milk jugs . No Jug has survived yet

I don't know. Milk jugs are pretty tough. You'd probably be safer upgrading to a .460 S&W, just in case. :D

Dirty Harry Callahan got all the bad guys with his 44 magnum , you only need to shot them once at most twice. I vote a S&W model 29 and the 44.

I guess you are planning on defending the homestead against 325 lb NFL defensive linemen?
Or MMA dudes on crack?

Honestly, most shooters cannot shoot a 10mm, a .44M or a .454C at all well for the first shot, let alone follow-up shots.

That is why most people shoot .38Spl/9mm/.40S&W/.45acp.
Those are rounds that the average shooter can shoot well, including follow-up shots.

Dirty Harry Callahan got all the bad guys with his 44 magnum , you only need to shot them once at most twice. I vote a S&W model 29 and the 44.
Go back and watch the movie again. Dirty Harry used .44Spl rounds in that M-29. Even he was human, and admitted it. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back