Better place to buy first time: gun show or dealer

sunnycoast said:
Also, my research tells me that .45 is where the shock starts to the bloodflow of the body which will stop them as opposed to 9mm often just makes the assailant feel like they're being bitten by a mosquito.
Do more research. Do a LOT more research.

Bama Mike, I was told by the person I mentioned earlier, volunteer deputy, that .45 velocity is what stops the other person as it is effective in trauma to the brain. Anything smaller would not do that unless it is a special type of bullet.
That factoid is so chock full of misinformation I don't even know where to start.

Your buddies are knuckle heads that either dont understand ballistics or are hung up on the size of their "bullet". 9mm is a fantastic round, if you want to shoot it, go ahead, if you want to shoot 45, go ahead. But they are being dumb and running on century old test info.

Ill go the other way on the original guestion, at least for what Ive seen at the gun shows in my area. Alot of shops basiclly pick up and move into the gun show for the weekend. Also, ALOT of folks behind the tables like to help people and share knowledge, if you come across a jerk who thinks your dumb because you dont know, there is another guy one table over who is happy to help. Also you get to see an array of fire arms in one location. Just remember a few rules of manners. No fingers on triggers unless you ask to try a trigger. Dont touch unless you ask first. Point weapons to the ceiling the try/shoulder them. Ask questions. You'll learn alot.

9 mm was what I was going with until couple of my friends (they're volunteer deputies) completely laughed at me for being a woman.
10,000+ rounds and I haven't outgrown it yet.
I'm probably not as good of a shooter as Tucker, but I've not shot with many LEOs who can out-shoot me or even handle their firearms well. Those that do learned outside their job specific training. I was OPOTA firearms certified at one point and it was VERY easy. Someone having and FFL or owning a gun shop also doesn't mean they know anything. There is no firearms proficiency test to get an FFL.

If you find shooting a .22 boring you probably aren't going to be interested in training to a high level of proficiency. The flash, noise, and recoil doesn't continue to motivate many people for the thousands of rounds required. Just buy a revolver and glock in 357 mag or 9mm and call it a day. Try not to look down the barrel when something doesn't work right:)

I'd normally say 22lr also, but I think it is likely that market will be a mess for several more years, so I can't recommend it.

I'd ask around and find one of the reputable shps in your area. I'd then call them, tell them you are a new shooter and you wanted to know when a good time to chat with one of their salesman knowledgeable about the product you are interested would be.
I just picked up a part time job in a boutique store hoping to learn about their products. There is a lot of product knowledge and the older guys who know their stuff are more than happy to help a new person out and have a one hour conversation, but only if they have the time. If you come in at a time when it is busy they are only going to give a new person 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Back