Best small concealed carry gun?

keithdog said:
I carry my S&W Shield on a daily basis and love it.

OP, based on the above statement you've already answered your own question. I'll take shootability over carryability anyday. I like my Walther PPS M2 for EDC but that Shield is probably at least as good as my Walther.

The ease of pocket carry is seductive - I often realize that "if I were to get into a gun fight, there are numerous better pistols/revolvers I'd rather have available", but still I find myself slipping a pocket pistol into my slacks or jacket almost constantly.

For most civilians, unless they routinely annoy bikers or gang members, they're really looking at relatively close-range encounters - and at 3'-4' these little pocket guns are likely to convince the average mugger that they have somewhere else to get to very quickly.

There are two I use routinely, a Beretta 3032 Tomcat/Alleycat in .32 ACP; and a Kahr P380 in .380 ACP. I like them both, but the Kahr is slightly thinner. Both are roughly the same size in terms of length/height, but the Beretta holds 7+1 rounds, whereas the Kahr holds 6+1. Either tend to disappear in a pocket.

Both would be worth consideration...

Kahr CT380 7+1:

7b815e43d914bf08b9eddd54cbe19ce7597b32b.jpg

Sig P 238, Kimber Micro Carry or Colt Mustang....basically the same pistol (Colt has poorest sights) all are single action, for deep pocket should have pocket holster for safest carry. I use kydex IWB holster and all three fit one holster.

I feel comfortable with my 442, pocket carried. It's not the easiest gun to shoot. I have many thousands of rounds through it now. Decent close defense gun.
I prefer the M&P .45c, but the OP was about small guns. If you have the time to learn the 442 or 642, I think you will be satisfied.

I prefer DAO hammer fired for carry. For EDC in summer, I carry a KelTec P32. At 6 oz, it disappears in a front pants pocket. For winter coat pocket carry I have a Beretta Pico. I know somebody posted that they suck, but I disagree. It took a whole 20 rounds to break it in. It's still light, accurate, and versatile. Before the Pico, I carried a Colt Pony Pocketlite with modified sights.

I like my wife's Kimber Micro .380. Reliable, accurate, easy to carry in a front pocket holster and has 7+1 at hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry my S&W Shield on a daily basis and love it. Most of the time I will continue to carry it. However, there are times I wish I had a true pocket gun, of which I don't consider the Shield to be, compact as it is. It's still a little bulky and heavy to toss into my pants or shorts pocket. I know some of you big guys find it fine with your apparel. However, at 5'5" tall, my clothing doesn't have such large pockets. I'm not sure which direction to go in caliber or style. The .22LR, 380ACP, or another ? Revolver or semi auto? To me, a small 22LR would be ideal in size, though it seems many have reliability issues. Any suggestions you would have would be appreciated!

Start with a Ruger LCP or equivalent, and work up.

(I have an LCP, but it is carried very seldom. I find my S&W 642 j-frame is very easy to carry and very discreet. And I can actually aim and hit what I shoot at with it. )

I have been happy with this one.
Started with a 40 then they released the 45.
a40e6f06016ee80a24c28faaaa80d7ea.jpg
695ed518d4bfeec281cd1836b994d699.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill say! Im paranoid with a Seecamp or Baby Browning in any of mine. :)

I couldnt even begin to get something bigger in them, even if they were "empty", which they normally arent.

Small, ie. less than a K or L frame. I'd pick a M60 Smith with a 3" barrel length. I find that it's not the length of the bbl. that presents a problem for concealment, it's the grip length. If you're talking about a pocket gun, then one of Smith's Airweights, preferably in .357 Magnum.

But for auto afficianados, make it a Sig 938.

Rod

I carry either a Glock 43 or a Taurus Ultralite 38spl. I have pocket holsters for both and IWB for the Glock. I buy clothing that helps me pocket carry my pocket guns or IWB. When you buy to fit those needs it makes carrying everyday easier. I consider both to be excellent pocket guns.

Back