Best Semi Auto Hog Gun?

I'm in the market for a new hog/long range gun my budget is under 250$ So in your opinion and in that price range what would be a good hog gun?

note: hog/long range gun....I really think an SKS is more 100 yardish...

I have a rem 7400 in .270 and thats a heck of a gun. It has very light recoil due to its weight, which still isnt bad. Worth a look, I got mine for 200.

Code:
The old 760 and current 7600 are very, very similar.

I'll give a +1 on the Remmy pumps. I have a 760 in '06 that is very dependable, accurate, and fast on target. They lock up strong like a bolt gun and can be as accurate as the shooter is capable of. IMO, the pump gun is as fast cycling as the lever gun and has the added benefit of a detachable magazine. You can even get 10 round mags for them.

As far as the 760 vs 7600 goes, there is also another member of that same family... the model 76. All are the same basic design, just slight upgrades from the 76 to the 760 to the 7600. Add a few new bells and whistles and you have a new model. For a while, it seems like the 7600 was basically just a deluxe version of the 760. All are great shooters and strong enough to handle heavy loads all day long (as opposed to the 740/7400 line).

My vote is for the Remington Semi-Autos. I have the Remington 742 in .30-06 and I have taken many hogs with it. Never had a malfunction and it is more accurate that it should be.
1276102756.jpg

My+Hog+3.JPG
1020092.jpg

Nice Pigs...I have the same gun..just looks a lil different....
My vote is for the Remington Semi-Autos. I have the Remington 742 in .30-06 and I have taken many hogs with it. Never had a malfunction and it is more accurate that it should be.

Last edited:
The best semi-auto hog gun just might be the Remington Model 8 in 35 Remington. By some accounts, Texas Ranger Frank Hamer head shot Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow with one of them. But, getting past the action history, if you could find one of those old rifles, it would be just about right for hogs out to about 200 yards. And no gas system to clean. I have no clue what one would cost in this day and age.

So swap in a rifled slug barrel.

Light, tough, and can handle the elements better.

Around here hog hunting means you are in the swamp.

You want a semi-auto to kill hogs that is light, easy to carry, with low recoil and under $250? Sorry bud, doesn't exist as far as I know.

I agree, get yourself a base-model Marlin 30-30 or .45/70 lever gun, 18" ported barrel and a big soft recoil pad.

It'll accept a scout scope, has a quality trigger and adequte capacity.

Well the $250 price range automatic capable of long range really only leaves a used 4, 74, 740, 742, or 7400 and finding one in that price range that will cycle reliably is tough.

I'd have to agree, the SKS is the ONLY one that will fall into the $250 or less range, and even that may be very hard to find. It's not uncommon here in Wyoming to see good clean SKSs sell for $400.

I'd love to find a Holland & Holland Royal in 375 Flanged, at under $3,000, but I am not holding my breath.

Or a Toyota Land Cruiser FJ 40 in perfect condition, for $1,500 or less.

You may beat me in your quest, before I find these things at these prices, but then again, you may not.

Yeah, the SKS should do fine. My brother got 2. I was okay, you could hit something with it even with its iron sights. The 2nd was crap, you could barely hit a 1'x1' target at 100 yards.

I just got my fathers M1 Garand (he bought it about 5 years ago and never shot it) and I put a scout scope mount on it, a medium relief scope, a gas pressure regulator, and a padded cheek rest (due to the hieght of the scope). I put about $250 in to it all in all and I did all that so I'd have a useable hog rifle.

If I had to do it from scratch, I'd go with a Savage 116 'kit combo' from walmart - gun + scope for < $400... probably in 30-06. I don't trust cheap gas guns in any caliber.

Hog Gun

How about a Mosin Nagant M38, or an M44? They're bolt guns, but they shoot a 7.62x54r cartrige, similar to the .308

I used to have an article that said the writer preferred the sks for hog hunting. That's what I have. only paid $200 for the rifle last year. And it is good for an SKS as i can shoot it about 2-3MOA at 100 yds.

Bolt .vs semi

I have a Remington 770 30-06 that I picked up at Dick's sporting goods. It is accurate and with 185 grain loads I am hitting fairly decent groupings. I too am looking for a semi auto or a lever action, but in a 30-06. I have not been on a hog hunt here in New York yet, but I am told that I should be able to take down a decent sized hog at about 100 to 200 yards with my current rifle. I am thinking that a decent sidearm will also benefit me (I am looking at a Taurs Judge) incase the animal charges.

Back