Best Semi Auto Hog Gun?

twobit..I got a 760 carbine in 308....I put a compact Leupold 3x9 on it and this little thing is a monster....

I'd have to agree with Dlb0412. The 30-30 Marlin is more than enough and a great gun. The mossberg ATR series that have been mentioned have a good rep also. I personally mounted a 7.62x39 upper on my AR and found it excellent for this! (I know ,wrong price range, but I love the setup). If you can step up to the Saiga 7.62x39 you won't be disappointed. They are great little brush guns, chrome barrel and more accurate than some would have you believe. They can take a lot of abuse and still deliver.

Last edited:
Whatever you do do not buy a remington 742. They call it the woodsmaster mine was a jam master. I couldnt get it to stop jamming. It would rip the back of the brass off and leave the cartrige stuck in the chamber. I sold it for 25 dollars.

Marlin 336 30-30.

Haven't priced Marlin 30-30's in a while have you! New ones are in the $500 range, used are selling for almost as much since Marlin seems to be having QC problems with new ones. A decent Winchester 94 used is even more.

At $250 you need a bolt action. The Savage Axis is probaby the best bet. For around $300 there are several other options.

The bolt will be lighter and more compact than either a semi-auto or lever action as well. If you don't like recoil then get a 243. Plenty for hogs with good ammo.

No ammo problem tried all kinds. I took it to the best gun shop around the man told me he has them come in all the time with the exact problem. He told me he could take my money and make it work for a few weeks. He said the problem would come back. I didnt want to put anyone through what i went through. So i told a guy i worked with the problem and sold it to him for 25. He said he could fix it and told me i was gon regret selling it to him. A month later he asked me if i wanted it back for 20. Do some research its very common with the 742.

SKS all the way. Unless you reload, this gun should have the cheapest Wally World ammo out of all the others mentioned in this thread. I assume cost of ammo is important to you if you are looking for a semi under $250- it was for me when I bought my SKS. Next to my 22s, it"s the rifle I shoot the most.

Also, if you really want power at a low cost and are willing to go with a bolt gun, look into a Mosin Nagant with a sportster stock. Should be able to put one together for under $250, and the old Commy bulk ammo can be had on the cheap.

I have thought about that but I would rather have a 308 because ammo is easier to find.. I can't find anywhere near me that carries 7.62x54R here..

Marlin 336W in .30-30. Most walmarts around here have one on the rack for around $370, includes scope & strap. Unless you're after grizz you won't need another rifle.

I'm throwing my hat in with JMR. There are plenty of good bolt actions for $300 +/- and .243 is a great cartridge out to farther than you're gonna hit anything with.

I can tell you right now, avoid the Remington 710/770's and the Mossbergs. I know the 710/770's are crap and there are too many proven good choices to take a flier on the Mossberg.

The terms semi auto + hog + long range + $250 just don't go together in the least. They're almost a contradiction in terms.

LK

I think the mossberg uses a howa m1500 action. I know the old smith and Wesson 1500 was a rebranded howa and anewer wetherby model uses that action.

Edit: I read the last post as rem700. Ignore me.

However I think a rem 742/7400 in 308 would be a great hog gun. I like my 742.

625a2dd7-9d0c-d89b.jpg

625a2dd7-9d63-3cd1.jpg

Last edited:
I got to throw my support in for my CETME. I've nailed some pretty large hogs at a pretty good distance open sights and all, and wherever I hit them they are done for. I bought it used and years back tho. Now I understand it's over priced.

Judge a man not by the answers he gives, but by the questions he asks. - Voltaire

Semi Auto for hogs and about $250.............AK47 or SKS. The 762x39 cartridge has enough power to down them efficiently. Plinking ammo is cheap and hunting ammo is readily available.

Must disagree with above post that the 7600 is a semi auto not true.
the 7600 is a pump also & in current production, The 7600 took the place of the 760 Rem & is a pretty nice rifle Comes in 223,243 270,30-06,308
Also comes in a couple tactical mods.

I use the 270 win 7600 Myself for Deer & hog if You like the 870 pump you'll like the 7600 as well.:D

your right, my mistake. They still do have a pump and it is 7600. There is also a semi auto model 750 , I just got the model numbers mixed up. The old 760 and current 7600 are very, very similar.

Back