Best rimfire sporting rifle

Okay,

Without a doubt, the best .22 rimfires are made from custom actions, selected match barrels, custom fibreglass stocks, barrel tuners, Jewell triggers, and carefully put together by a fine rimfire gunsmith like Calfee and very few others. Most weigh under 10.5 lbs and have 3" wide forends.

Such a piece, properly tuned and with the right batch of premier ammo has the ability to shoot groups under .2" all day, every day (disregarding weather and shooter ability).

Calfee Sporters made to IR 50/50 standards can do just about as well as the heavy guns, but without tuners and weighing under 7.5 lbs. Triggers are under 3 ounces, so they're not for hunting or general plinking.

My Win 52C is highly modified for benchrest shooting, but can't shoot with today's top custom actions. I'm ranked 50 or lower out of about 200 in the IR50/50 Unlimited list. Part of the reason I'm that low is the fact that we have a very short season and tricky wind conditions in Maine. The rest is equipment, time, money, commitment, and lack of talent.

Picher

Remington 513-T

I'd have to say the Remington 513-T is the best of the bunch. I've got my dad's old matchmaster with redfield peep sites and globe sight up front, its quick to get on target and it hits what you're aiming at. I was out at the range the other day and was shooting 2", 6 shot (capacity of the magazine), groups at 100 yards. It really irritated the guy next to me who couldn't keep his K31 under 8" (granted the K31's sights are a bit different).

It has to be the Remington 5teen series rifles. Ok right under the Win mod 52 that there was a sweet rifle. Both of my 5teens will shot ragged one hole groups at 50 yards. If you do your job they will shoot 2" at most at 100 yards.

in general thats a tough question... I have several CZ's, had an "old" Winchester, got Contender pistol & carbine barrels, even an old Cooey single shot youth rifle, wished I had a Martini Cadet...

... but my answer would still have to be the old 10-22... the gun is just so simple, & reliable, yet can easily be turned into anything from a tack driver to an assult rifle...

the gun is just "too fun" to shoot, not to get my vote

I was also suprised that it took so long for the model 52 to show up. Not really a 'sporting rifle' per se but my father in law has a Springfield M1922 that is 'the bomb' Accurate as all getout.

I will have to agree, from what I have read and heard, the Model 52 is the best but of the .22s I own or have shot, I must say I really like the Model 61. Just a well built sweet shooting gun.

cant spell, but anshutz, kimber, h&k, 270, 9422 win, 69 win, 39 marlin. had them all wasnt smart enough to keep but one,,,,dummy bob:(

In my opinion

Ruger 10/22 hands down. More after market stuff than for any other .22 I have seen. Accurate, looks good, fits me well, etc. I think that if a critique of all the .22's on the market were done there would be many fine attributes for each, but the 10/22 has the full package with the trigger (an easy fix) being the only exception.

JP

Winchester single shot

When I was 10 years old I shot a magpie 100 yards away with my Winchester Model 67A. No brag, just fact....I'm 70 now, by the way...

This would be my choice.

OK, may be at a slight disadvantage in rapid fire...

standard.jpg

The most accurate 22 rimfire I have is the Annie MPR64 as long as you feed it Lapua Center X. Lapua Standard, Midas and Wolf Target are only so-so.

HOWEVER. . .I also shoot a CZ452 and a Ruger 77-22 that will shoot VERY close to the Annie at 50 yards with just about anything you run through them and do it MUCH cheaper.

I have not tested the CZ and the Ruger with Lapua Midas yet. Will get that done this weekend.

I shot the best group of my life with the Annie last week when the wind was calm. Yesterday the wind was out of the north and was blowing the range flag sideways. The Lapua Center X also gave me the best 4 shot group of my life with one called flyer and the other ammos including Tenex were just all over the place.

I don't know why that should be so but there you have it. The Annie is a great shooter once you find the ammo they like.

My 39A and Win 9422 get most of the work these days, but my old 87D is a long time favorite. My Grandfather bought it for me in the late 50's. I can't even guess how many Water Moccasins and Red Wing Blackbirds I shot with that old rifle when I was a kid.

I'm pleased to see how many folks have an old model 87 and like them. Not too pretty though, are they?

Of course, if you want a "pretty" autoloader you could always shell out the big bucks for a Weatherby XXII. Probably the prettiest autoloading .22LR ever made.

My Kimber Classic, from Yonkers, New York, came with a 5 shot factory target of .238" @ 50 yards --- though Kimber stopped producing this line of rifle --- and parts are starting to get scarce. The stock is made with AA Claro walnut.

My Martini Henry ain't so bad either.

when i think sporting rifle, i think something thats easy to hunt with and take thru the woods, and deadly accurate. Based on that ive have to nominate my magnum research 1017 in 17hm2. I have prettier guns but for hunting its hard to beat.

Back