best rated 357 in mag. 2" - 3"

Thought you had a Windicator 357 Magnum
Are you looking for something a little smaller, and lighter?
I think the Ruger SP 101 would fit the bill. Even though it wouldn't be my choice. I have shot them, and did not really like it. Something about the grip that just isn't right for me.

I really like then 3" model 13 S&W.
I have had several over the years, the one I've got now is pinned and recessed.

Model 65 is good too.

I had the LCR and absolutely hated it. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Now I have the SP101 with a 3" barrel. Love the thing, and shoot equally well in double vs. single action.

Unless you reload, you will need to pick a gun heavy enough to handle commercial ammo. My smaller 357s all get custom subsonic loads. My smaller guns include a Smith 60-10, and Smith 60 Pro PC, and a Ruger SP101, all 3". Otherwise, I expect you would quickly gravitate to 38 Special ammo.

I owned a 3” SP101 for a while, and had no issues shooting full power 357 in it. I liked everything about it, except that it didn’t shoot to point of aim.
The 686 4” I owned was a great revolver, but for whatever reason, I just didn’t click with it. Maybe because I prefer the K-frames.

There certainly were Canadian GP100 3” police revolvers, but they were 38spl’s. Some have bored out the chambers to 357.
As for being too heavy, I have carried my 3” GP with its compact grip in an IWB holster CCW. At home, it wears Hogue wood. It is my main home defense pistol, loaded with Critical Defense 125gn, which does 1350fps in that 3” barrel.

I like my S&W 19-4.

No locks!!!!!

8GhCfZYl.jpg

Doc_Holliday_1950 wrote:
best rated 357 in mag. 2" - 3"

I presently have a S&W 686plus 357 in magnum 3" revolver. I really really like this S&W.
My question is who makes the best 357 in magnum revolver
2" to 3". NO POLY

Do you want something new?

Will you be wanting to carry it concealed?

Do you carry OWB or something else?

Should we assume that a barrel at that short length is a carry gun?

I was in a gun shop this AM and examined an example of the Kimber. It looks classy next to some of the finishes of other guns. Dry firing was much more impressive than others. However, I have seen one fired at the range, and it can punish the shooter, if not really up to it.

Kimber K6 3"

I have 2, 3" 357 magnums.I have a S&W model 65 3" & a Kimber K6 3"! I like the Kimber the best & edc it quite often.I don't feel the recoil is harsh....I'm 74 & have no problem with it!
Jim

I'm going to have to place my vote for the Kimber. I picked up a 2" recently, and I've been really impressed with it.

For carry, I appreciate how they've rounded all of the corners and edges. Well built and a good trigger, too.

I have a three .357 magnum revolvers and have owned a few others, which ended up sold or traded away due to various shortcomings.

My PC 686+ with 6" bbl is the most comfortable for firing magnum ammunition (duh). It's larger internal parts geometry and Wolff springs also give it the lightest & smoothest trigger pull(s). Besides the long barrel, it's 46oz loaded weight, make concealed carry out of the question. But, a finer woods gun would be hard to find! If it had a 3" bbl, like the OP's gun, I'd recommend he stop looking for a better .357 revolver! Buy lot's of ammo, a good holster, and enjoy his 686+.

But, something makes me "think" that the OP really wants a smaller-framed .357?

I also have a S&W 60-10 with 3" bbl. It is a welterweight powerhouse! With Hogue tamer grips, I can fire magnum ammo competently, but, not continuously & comfortably. That's OK, I practice a lot with .38's and fire enough .357's to stay familiar with recoil management. Wolff springs improved the trigger pull(s), but, it's not nearly as well as my 686+. At 27oz loaded and with it's fish-hook shaped hammer, I carry it concealed on a belt, not in a pocket.

I recently bought a Kimber K6s with 3" bbl and it will probably replace the model 60 very soon as my carry revolver. It's trigger is better and I haven't even replaced any springs, yet. It's DAO & de-horned all over, right outta the box, which allows me to shoot magnum ammo more comfortably and longer. It's 3oz heavier, but, holds 6 rounds instead of 5, so, I consider that a good trade-off. Those extra 3oz also help soak up about 10% of magnum recoil. That's not a huge difference, but noticeable. The sights on the K6s are more like those found on a duty automatic pistol: highly visible, snag-free, and rugged. They are drift adjustable for windage, or easily replaced for elevation. I haven't needed to do either; all of my shots have landed precisely behind the front sight dot, from point blank range to fifty feet. The only thing that I'm waiting for; is aftermarket grip makers to discover the K6s. The factory walnut grips are beautiful and of adequate size, but, they are a bit too smooth. The gun rotates in my hand during rapid fire and I'd like a few more options to test. Overall, the K6s is my new favorite .357 revolver. It's perfectly sized for concealed belt carry, and while a bit big/heavy for pant pockets, it's so sleek that it rides in a winter coat pocket very nicely.

Last edited:
My reason for asking about everyone's thoughts on a 2-3" 357 in magnum revolver is my 686 plus 3" is a tad heavy to carry concealed. My G19 is easier to carry, but I deep down feel that a 357 has better stopping power. Actually trying to see if a 2.5" or a 2.75" can handle a full 357 mag load as well as the 686 plus 3". There are some pretty fierce animals floating around my area. Some on 4 legs & some on 2 legs & some with no legs.

Go on the hunt for a Ruger Speed Six. Or a 2 3/4” Security Six.

A 3” S&W 65 is another great choice.

A Colt Lawman.

Current? The Kimber K6 is very cool.

My reason for asking about everyone's thoughts on a 2-3" 357 in magnum revolver is my 686 plus 3" is a tad heavy to carry concealed. My G19 is easier to carry, but I deep down feel that a 357 has better stopping power. Actually trying to see if a 2.5" or a 2.75" can handle a full 357 mag load as well as the 686 plus 3". There are some pretty fierce animals floating around my area. Some on 4 legs & some on 2 legs & some with no legs.

"can handle" is a measure of recoil and the shooter's control, I think. We should expect a lighter weight gun to allow more energy transfer to the shooter. My smaller .357s get either Speer Short Barrel, hoping I don't have to use it, or a custom reload in 357 cases. Those who don't reload would typically opt for 38 Special after trying to like the gun with 357 Magnum ammo.

Back