Best home defense ccw combo

Before getting all fiddly with Home Defense stuff...
have you hardened your home yet??
As in, got Burglar Bars??
how about just a nice Burglar Bar screen door with double-key locks for entry doors??
$99.00 at Home Depot.
ce1a543d-95a4-4981-9ad2-09ba20bcd9e3_400.jpg

Got a nice large-breed dog yet??
Can't even tell you how many folks just walk on by if there's a big dog...

Crooks like easy money.
The more annoying you make a place, the less they wanna mess with it.
This also includes fakes...
make your own window BB's, out of wood, paint 'em Flat Black like iron ones...
chances are, NOBODY will ever check to see if they are real...
especially if you have a real front door...
Best thing is, in case of emergency, like a fire, just punch/kick 'em down & exit ;)

If your self defense plan is predicated on the other guy getting your gun.....you need a new self defense plan.
you never really plan on your future ex being the one that does that. I hope no one else has to face that situation.
I could say the same about those that can't fathom flipping a lever with your thumb. Just like any plan.... things can go wrong. People get guns all the time, Thats why many guns are designed not to fire without a mag in them.

Got a nice large-breed dog yet??
Can't even tell you how many folks just walk on by if there's a big dog...

As a 20+ year police officer, I can tell you this statement is true. I have had the opportunity to talk to literally hundreds of burglars in my career. The number one answer when I ask how targets are picked is "no dogs".

I have 2 Dobermans that greet my family at the doors every day. They also greet everyone else that shows up. I live in the middle of nowhere on 600 acres with no neighbors within seeing distance, and I'm certain a burglar has stopped by when they notice it looks like no one is home. It WOULD be an easy target. Once they look through the sliding glass doors and Stevie and Duchess are wanting to "play", they decide to go steal from the neighbors. We don't even lock the doors when we're not at home..............

My philosophy is I like to use the same gun I carry for home defense. The whole point of a handgun is to sacrifice power and accuracy for concealment and convenience. When I come home, I just leave the gun on until it is time to go to bed.

If I am going to invest the money in a firearm specifically for home defense and I have time to access that HD firearm, then I don't want a slightly larger version of what is already on my belt with maybe a few more rounds and an inch of barrel and sight radius. I want a long gun.

The Glock 19/Hi-Power/CZ75 sized handguns are about at the sweet spot for a full-sized handgun that you can carry everyday.

for the combo I'd pick the Walther PPS. it is a think single stack so IWB carry is easier than with an obviously thicker gun. but unlike other single stack guns, it has an accessory/light rail so when its bed time you can attach a light to it.

I'm not going to start naming models, just designs.

I would look at "compact" semi-auto's, new or used from a decent brand (although there are some very shootable sub-compacts with larger cap' options).

I would also look at 3-4" .38Spl revolvers, capable of handling hotter .38s.

A .357Mag is fine too, but will be bulkier and perhaps not something to shoot indoors anyway.

I have carried the same style guns for over 20 years and they also work great for home defense. I'm old and old school, I carry Commander size 1911 45ACPs with 230gr HST JHP. If my back is giving me fits I carry a S&W Shield 9mm with 124gr GD ammo. I carry one and sometimes two spare mags (depending on where I'm going). Some places may need extra ammo over and above what I usually carry!

I tired 1911's... but to darn heavy and then I bought a Kahr CW9 which I shoot really well but I needed something that would make you almost forget you was even packing a gun and be able to sit down and drive my car and never feel the gun .. Ruger Gen 2 LCP 380 :D

Last edited:
A Kimber Pro Carry II is something around 27 ounces. Commander sized pistol that's light, yet big enough to handle well, and plenty concealable.

Good choices, Erik. A nine will serve you well over the years too. You didn't say if you were a new shooter...if so, I'd recommend a GOOD self defense course taught by a GREAT instructor with some LEO background. Do some research on the instructor's qualifications as there a number of mall ninja types running courses now.

Concealed carry is far more than toting a pistol around with you. The legal implications even in a righteous shooting on your part are enormous to say the least and can destroy your family. I'd recommend any of Mas Ayoob's excellent videos on self defense as well as his books....again...get instruction beyond the 9-15 hour mandated course in most states.

It'll be helpful too, if you go into this without any preconceived notions as to gun, holsters, et al. Renting makes a lot of sense, but there's really no way to know about holsters unless you can borrow the various types from friends. IWB, by the way, requires a larger pants size unless you wear your present choice really loose...belts too.

HTH's Rod

I like semi compact, "split the difference" firearms for home CCW. Colt Commander, CZ-75D PCR, P-01, G19, Sig P228/P229, HK P7 all fit this category. At home I am usually carrying the PCR or P7.

When I carry it, it has the flush mag. When its at home, it has the extended mag. That works best for ME. I am interested in getting a full size XDM (5.25") for home defense so I can save some time and keep a permanent weapon light on the 5.25.

Compact45_1x.jpg

My EDC is a old DAO LC9, I don't even know its there. I'm a mechanic and have to get into all kinds of contorted positions. I have tried a lot of holsters but the Alien Gear IWB is the best.

I carry a BUG as well plus a mag for each.

Main guns I'm considering as listed will be Glock 19 and 43, M@P 9c and Shield no safety. Want a gun that will be carryable everyday but also good for home defense. Any Imput on any of these guns or good recommendations on other 9s will be considered.

Of the ones you listed, I like the M&P Shield and the G-19 the best, although I'd prefer the Walther PPS for an EDC 9mm, and the CZ 75B for a home defense 9mm.

Walther_PPS_Feature-Graphic_OCT15-web.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I carry a Sig 239 and stick in my sock drawer at night. For me, night sites are a no brainer for HD handgun.
I know my own house at night, the bad guys don't.

Back