Best home defense ccw combo

I would start with a Glock 26. Carry it for a while. If you find it too big, get a smaller pistol for CCW and add a mag extension to the glock for home defense.
==============
I started out CC with a Glock 19 sized pistol (Sig P6, Walther P99) and now I CC a Kahr K9. Even with the K9 size, there are days when I wished it is an MK9.

The kahr K9 is a 7+1 9mm. When at home sometimes I switch to the 8 round mags to give 8+1.

Last edited:
You might consider a CZ P-07 -- MSRP is 20% less than the G19, it's slightly larger, but more accurate and a safer design. It comes with a decocker, but parts for converting to a safety are included (which you don't want). It's railed so you can hang a light or laser on it at home, and its mag holds one additional round.

G26 would be my vote, shoots as well, but carries better than my G19. However, a J-frame has recently replaced both.

Don't listen to the people saying it's uncomfortable to carry a double stack everyday. I carry a 26 everyday. I would say the most important thing is get a good kydex holster, and a good belt. I like the 5.11 TDU, and it's only $15.
Also carry a Glock 19 mag in my pocket. I don't carry my 19 everyday because I like to wear Tshirts.

stokesj19,
What holster do you use for your G26? Is it IWB?
I have an IWB Kydex holster for my Kahr K9 and after a couple of hours, it gets uncomfortable.

I like to wear T shirts for 6-7 mo of the year. That's why I'm thinking once I go to the range to rent the Glock 26 the M&Pc and the Sig P320 compact. I do like single stacks accept the lack of capacity

Thats the dilemna, comfort vs. capacity and to a certain degree shootability/accuracy. Speaking for myself, I am not as good of a shot with the CM9 that replaced my Glock and I am down 4 rounds compared to the 26 but comfort won out for me in the end. There is always a give and take.

Very true guess I'll just have to see how they all shoot next week otherwise might have to step up to a M sised gun

I'd split the difference and recommend a G26...10rd mags for CCW, and a 17rd G17 mag for home defense (also lengthens your grip).

My combo is an M&P9 and an M&P9C. Both 9mm both can take a FS magazine. Same trigger. Same sights and almost the same sight radius. No jumping back and forth between different manuals of arms.

You can also do the same thing with a Glock 26,19 & 17.

Same concept for me but ts been a while since I made that decision. This is still what I use today G17 (Gen2) in the safe and G26 for CCW.

FAS1EDC.JPG

You might check out a gun like the Walther PPS. The magazines use grip extensions. It comes with two different sizes and there is a third you can find aftermarket. It lets the gun serve dual purposes as either very concealable or surprisingly good for its size on the range. It has a Glock-style trigger that arguably does it better than Glock. It also has no manual safety.

Of course, Walther makes some excellent full-size 9mms. I'm not sure which ones come with the same paddle release. A paddle release might seem strange at first but it has its advantages. I definitely recommend checking it out if you get the chance.

I don't want to be fiddling around with a safety when my life depends on it

I understand and tend to agree to a point, but gotta make something clear: What your life depends on is your level of training...essentially muscle memory built from lots of repetition. If you train as you should, you won't be fiddling with that safety when the stress hits and your mind turns to mush...your muscle memory will take over and see you through. IMO the responsibility to train to an acceptable level of competency comes with the responsibility you accept when you carry a firearm. There are many reasons pro and con concerning safety systems, but this notion that you will forget about it indicates to me someone who isn't committed to training with their firearm. Please, don't be that guy or gal - it's that lack of training that might cost you your life, not that little piece of metal or plastic. Thanks.

What you do want, is when someone grabs your gun, is THEM trying to figure out the safety.
It happened to me, I'm not going into details, but the fact that the firearm had a safety gave me a chance to regain control of the gun.

Same concept for me but ts been a while since I made that decision. This is still what I use today G17 (Gen2) in the safe and G26 for CCW.

If I knew then what I know now.....

If I had understood this concept when I bought my first gun I'd have a Glock 19 and a Glock 17 or a 6906 and a 5906

What you do want, is when someone grabs your gun, is THEM trying to figure out the safety.

If your self defense plan is predicated on the other guy getting your gun.....you need a new self defense plan.

Back