Best home defense ccw combo

epl1007

I'm going to be taking my concealed carry course soon and want to buy a polymer 9mm preferably a Glock if they fit me since I don't want to be fiddling around with a safety when my life depends on it. It will be my first 9mm handgun and pefer dual purpose. Soon I'm going to the local gun store to shoot a couple of pistols. Main guns I'm considering as listed will be
Glock 19 and 43
M@P 9c and Shield no safety
Want a gun that will be carryable everyday but also good for home defense. Any Imput on any of these guns or good recommendations on other 9s will be considered.
Thanks Erik

lots of good striker fired 9mm pistols out there.

some others include Sig p320 and HK VP9.

find one you like and shoot well. you'll spend many times the amount you spend on the pistol on ammo down the road, so don't get the cheapest pistol just because it's the cheapest up front. get a good one. and a good holster. learn to use them safely, carry them everywhere you go.

I use a G19 as a dual duty pistol.

As i sit here its in a Incog AIWB holster as my EDC. Come tonight when its bedtime, it will get a Surefire light and a AAC can attached and become the "nightstand gun".

Tomorrow morning, back in the holster it goes.

My issue with the G43 (i own one BTW) and the Shield is there is no rail to attach a light. The debate rages on this forum about dedicated weapon lights, but they are mandatory on my HD guns.

Last edited:
Dont forget the glock 26. I just had this debate and went with the G26 because it was the best for my body type. The glock 19 was too big in the grip for concealed carry and the g43 didn't have enough rounds. The SW Shield was in the mix too but the grip size on the glock 26 was shorter and allowed me to conceal carry IWB without printing and hold 10 rounds. Plus I got a few 17 round magazines for it. My advice - go to the store and try the guns on with various holsters in the types of outfits you will be wearing. I wouldnt have been able to make a good choice without doing so. Advice here is helpful but you already have a solid list of guns. The next best thing you can do is try them on because everyone is different.

Also, dont forget the sig

I have a 357 revolver that I used to use for home defense but I am just using the glock for everything now. Its a great gun and I am really happy with the purchase. Full size grip on the 19 would of been nice but again that grip printed in my shirts.

So true everyone is different that's why the hard part will be choosing what I shoot well and what conceals easily enough but still has capacity and accuracy

If you can pull it off and obviously many do, the double stacks would be the best of both worlds. For me it just isn't comfortable, I need a single stack variant for IWB duty, this is why I sold my Glock 26 and picked up a Kahr CM9. I am not plugging for a Kahr simply just stating that there is a noticeable difference between IWB carrying double vs. single stack designs.
Out of your choices, which are all very good by the way, I would have to pick up the Glock 43.

.....since I don't want to be fiddling around with a safety when my life depends on it. It will be my first 9mm handgun.....

I jokingly agree, I find that I want a no safety gun when reholstering. How else can I play reholster roulette!:eek:

All kidding aside, a manual safety like the XD grip safety is a parallel task. Meaning a 2 for 1 movement. It can be engaged for reholstering, thus increasing safety.

Glocks are pretty good guns though and many people newborn and expert alike flock to them.

For my commonality, 2011 double stack 45 with rail and a 1911 CCO would be ideal. I use the xd45 tactical thumb safety model since I'm short 2011 funds for now.

Good job taking a class...

Take your pic from any of the great compact pistols on the market. I like the Sig P228/P229, Glock 19, CZ P01 & BHP as all around multiple roll guns. The BHP is more of a fullsized gun but it is so slim it carries IWB like a compact.

If you are just going to be carrying occasionally, I'd go with the Glock 19. Makes a good home defense weapon, has higher capacity than other choices, and is fairly easy to conceal, and there are lots of holster choices. It also tends to fit the hand better than the smaller 43 or the Shield, which will make it easier to shoot with less felt recoil.

If you are going to be carrying full time, I'd go with the M&P Shield. It has higher capacity than the Glock 43. I compared both the Glock 43 and the Shield, and ended up with the Shield. It had less felt recoil, and felt better in my hand than the Glock. If you are going to carry all day, you will want a single stack pistol..............trust me on this.

If I'm going to be carrying all day, I strap on the Shield. If I'm just going to dinner, movie, etc. for a few hours, I will typically strap on my PPQ............I just feel better with 15+ rounds available.

Last edited:
I'll be carrying full time that's the only reason I'm kinda considering a single stack but everything I've seen on you tube and read said the Shields way better.

I'll be carrying full time that's the only reason I'm kinda considering a single stack but everything I've seen on you tube and read said the Shields way better.

If I were going single stack I would probably go glock 42, sigp238, or jframe revolver. Then get a good 9mm/revolver for home defense. A single stack for home defense doesn't have the amount of rounds I want. Maybe the shield does kinda do it all though. You are definitely on the right track...

Out of curiosity, if you are planning on separate carry and home defense guns, why not look at full sized options for the home defense gun, rather than the compact versions? I'm not knocking the M&P 9c or the G19, mind you, just wondering why not their bigger brothers as dedicated home defense weapons. Capacity aside, added control and stability mean added peace of mind if you have to use it when your loved ones are in the house.

Kinda looking for the one gun that would do both. I might after saving up some money get a dedicated strictly home defense pistol but for right now looking for something I can carry once I get my permit and will work for home defense.

I tried to post a picture and it didn't work.

My combo is an M&P9 and an M&P9C. Both 9mm both can take a FS magazine. Same trigger. Same sights and almost the same sight radius. No jumping back and forth between different manuals of arms.

You can also do the same thing with a Glock 26,19 & 17.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a Star Super Model B either. Yes it is a steel gun so you will have les felt recoil and you will not have to worry about limp wristing. Cost should be around $300 but it is single action only....

Back