Best handgun for walking through woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something like the NAA Black Widow would work well. .22 Magnum snake shot is a lot more effective than the .22lr shot. The Black Widow is small, light, inexpensive, and very well made. Loaded with some short-barreled defensive ammo from Speer or Hornady, it's effective on 2-legged snakes also.

images

I wear snake boots and carry a walking stick for snake patrol. And a 44 magnum revolver for anything larger. You never know, better to have it...

For those of you who recommend .22 rat shot for snakes, better try it out on a few tin cans first, the penetration is miserable, and a killing shot from 10 feet is nigh impossible. In lieu of that, I'd recommend solid or hp bullets of most any caliber. If you can't hit a snake's body or head from 8-10 feet, padnuh, you need more range time. Short of that, buy some Speer snake loads in your favorite center fire caliber.

I have killed a goodly number of snakes with .22lr and .22 mag. shot capsules. Also have killed many chipmunks with same. The key to being effective is to realize the .22 shotties do not throw a good pattern. They throw a dognut pattern. For snakes aim for center of body and the top and/or bottom of the dognut is likely to hit them. And kill. For chipmunks you must be quite close. I actually preferred my .44 mag. with shot capsules I loaded myself. Using # 7 1/2 shot this was very effective at longer ranges than the .22.

:cool:Veamon: for the snakes that crawl around on the ground (no legs) I think trying to shoot them is wrong headed. WHY? Well by the time to draw and aim your gun the snake could bite you a half dozen times. You are far better off just to step back. When my older brother finally moved down to Dixie we went out for a hike. He was just ambling along not looking where he was going and there was a coral snake (Florida) in the trail. Well I decided I'd watch the snake and watch him and see what happens. He just kept walking along. When he got about 4' from the snake I grabbed his arm and told him he was about to walk over a coral snake. "You aren't in New York City anymore" says I.
Well, I guess he got the message about watching his step but on the other hand he didn't go on anymore hikes with me.
For snakes I'd just "step lightly" and if you just have to kill one use a walking stick, a lot better than trying to shoot one.
NOW...for the other stuff- the snakes with 2 legs. I'd take a S & W model 65 with a 4" barrel. It is light, easy to pack.

Rifleman, yep...I agree it's a donut and not a good one at that. When I've got a .22, I prefer bullets over the shot. That said, it's a rare day indeed when I have a .22 anymore...most times it's a Smith 36 or 60 with appropriate loads for the hike/walk we're on. I load the first chamber with a home made snake load, and the rest with business rounds. I use #12 shot in my put up loads, which gives them a really full pattern out to 15' or so and with plenty of penetration...the load is 4.6 gr of Win 231 so you can get an idea of the velocity...

Best Regards, Rod

The question is not how many guys have killed snakes with a handgun but how long it took to aim and did you hit it with the first shot. You are shooting free hand at something the size of your thumb or maybe a little larger and I'll be honest and admit I've missed a few times on my first shot. That's back when I thought you were supposed to kill snakes. I have never had a snake approach me. Cottonmouths and Diamondbacks and pigmies will stand their ground but not advance and the coral snakes crawl away. The only snakes that really bother me are the black racers because you about step on them before they race off and that will put me about a foot into the air, especially when I'm spring turkey hunting with sneakers. I think this snake worry is a non-issue. My concern is returning to a parked vehicle out in the boondocks. I'll often stop a ways off and watch the vehicle for a while. A few years ago some bad guys were robbing solo-hunters returning to vehicles. I carry a 4" S&W Model 65-357 Magnum. There are small fixed sights, no heavy under lug- an easy gun to totes around and sufficient for self defense.

I used the Colt46 method of dealing with snicks. The one time I almost stepped on a rattle snake I found levitation was a scientific possibility, while at altitude spotted the terrifying serpent (almost 3' long) and was able to get back to my vehicle (63 Ford Falcon) without actually touching down in the sage brush hillside. I immediately checked to make sure the snake hadn't crawled down and sneak into the car. I then threw my .22 rifle in the passenger seat...oh, now I remember, I had a firearm with me...drove away and never went back to that spot.

For those of you who recommend .22 rat shot for snakes, better try it out on a few tin cans first, the penetration is miserable, and a killing shot from 10 feet is nigh impossible. In lieu of that, I'd recommend solid or hp bullets of most any caliber.

I agree, as I said in an earlier post I would recommend either a .44 or .45 caliber revolver for use with snake shot. Anything else either holds too few pellets or too small.

Sorry, and I know some will be offended by my position, but, imo, the only good snake is a dead one. And, yes, I am afflicted by "snakeaphobia"...:o

Originally posted by dgludwig:

Sorry, and I know some will be offended by my position, but, imo, the only good snake is a dead one.
More people are killed by dogs(especially children) every year in the U.S. than by poisonous snakes. Using your philosophy, folks need to start shooting their pets.

We all have our favorite snake stories, as a young'n playing outside of Savanah, GA I was running along a stream and as my foot was coming down I realized it would land smack dab on a water moccasin, a big one that was black and thick. I just stretched out my leg and stepped over the thing while it fortunately crawled off. Happy ending for both boy and snake but for a while afterwards I was seeing snakes every where I stepped. :eek:

When espousing my "philosophy", I never made mention of how many snakes have killed anybody (40,000 or so world-wide by the way, according to National Geographics statistics, if it means anything to you) and I don't really give a crap. I readily concede that most phobias aren't necessarily rational. I really don't care if snakes are venomous or not. I don't like any of them (ask Adam about the ramifications entailed by the human race after Eve got suckered in by an animal full of deceit and crawling around on its belly without legs or arms.) In terms of mankind's destiny, we're still paying a heavy price for a viper's lies and artful temptations :D).
My mind isn't changed and never will be: a good snake is a dead snake. What's next: a crusade to save the mosquito or the tsetse fly?

Last edited:
In the Everglades the pythons have gotton out of control- some are so big they are eating deer and gators.

Well, snakes won't bother you if you don't step on them, so it shouldn't be an issue, but in theory, yeah -- the Judge is in fact good for that - ideal in fact. Good thing, since that's the ONLY thing that it's really good for. So I'd say a 2" or 4" Judge... Oddly enough, with the Judge, my guess is that the longer the barrel, the worse (bigger) the shot pattern is, and the shorter the barrel, the tighter the pattern would be, since it would have less time to "spin out" in the rifling. So make that 2" judge. That makes me wonder - what if you just removed the barrel from a judge and shot it like that as a snake charmer? Ha.

But, for what it may be worth, I consider 3 guns to be "field handguns"
-Taurus 94 4" .22lr, for when big game hunting - mainly as a coup de grace arm, but also potentially for sniping squirrels while waiting for bigger game. I spose you could shoot back at crazed Hmongs in your stand who open fire with an SKS, if need be.
-Tanfoglio Witness Steel Hunter 6" in 10mm auto. Don't have it yet, but next on the list. Gen. purpose lower 48 carry, when woods methlab engineers and feral dog packs are the concerns. Maybe a random wolf or cougar.
-Redhawk 4.2" .45 colt - Alaska fishin sidearm; solely as backup to pepper spray. Wouldn't want to kill a brownie without a tag unless OC spray fails which ain't likely.

No, I don't carry all 3, nor would I ever carry more than 1. Most of the time, none of the above is the answer. And haven't even gotten to Alaska yet, so the Redhawk is mostly theoretical anyway. If I wasn't hunting and thus had no bow or longarm on me, and I was going on a wilderness excursion where danger might come into play, it'd be the Witness Hunter 10mm in lower 48, or Redhawk with +P .45 colts in AK. Even with a bow, I'd want the Redhawk in most parts of AK.

Oh, one more gun jumps to mind - the KT PMR-30. Ultralight backpacking gun, and not a terrible general purpose choice, espec. if going a looooong ways. But it's not the first choice for most purposes. For that matter, the FiveseveN would be a good long-trek choice.

and even the poisonous ones do far more good than harm.
Agreed.

Last edited:
More people are killed by dogs(especially children) every year in the U.S. than by poisonous snakes. Using your philosophy, folks need to start shooting their pets.

While that may be true, a dog bite usually wont lead to cardiac arrest if you don't get to a hospital quick enough, nor will it cost you upwards $20,000 in medical bills from multiple doses of antivenom.

That 40,000 people a year killed by snakes, it's my understanding a lot of those were in India when people were walking bare footed. The folks there started wearing 6" high bird shooter type leather boots and the death numbers dropped way off., or so someone told me. Cobras and mambas are deathly poisonous, very dangerous. I'm told a diamondback rattle snake might be less poisonous but it is much faster on the strike. A mongoose can kill a cobra but not a rattlesnake. Probably high top boots are the better protection versus a gun.

That 40,000 people a year killed by snakes, it's my understanding a lot of those were in India when people were walking bare footed.

That's true. I'm guessing that it's also true that a lot of snake-bite deaths in southeast Asia can be attributed to the mishandling of deadly serpents. I mean, when you're playing a flute and kissing a cobra on the head as it weaves in tune with the beat of your "music", you might should expect to get bitten by your venomous dance partner. :eek:

In the U.S. about 5 people per year die of venomous snakebite.

...The United States has about 20 species of venomous snakes which include 16 species of rattlesnakes, 2 species of coral snakes, one species of cottonmouth (or water moccasin), and one species of copperhead. At least one type of venomous snake is found in every state except Alaska and Hawaii. It has been estimated that 7,000–8,000 people per year receive venomous bites in the United States, and about 5 of those people die.[1] Most fatal bites are attributed to the eastern and western diamondback rattlesnake. Copperheads account for more cases of venomous snake bite than any other North American species; however, their venom is the least toxic so their bite is seldom fatal.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

You're more likely to be hit by lightening and die from it in the U.S. than to die of snakebite. More folks die of spider and dog bites in the U.S. than snake bites.

http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/venomous_snake_faqs.shtml

And it's about 20,000 deaths a year world aide, not 40,000. That's partly because we have fewer venomous snakes in North America than in areas closer to the equator and also because medical treatment is closer and more readily available.

http://animals.pawnation.com/snake-bite-death-statistics-worldwide-2431.html

But don't let facts get in the way of a good phobia or an excuse to carry a big gun and tell folks that the internet people told ya it was for defense against snakes.

tipoc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back