Best handgun for walking through woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruger MkII. Or at least it is for me in the land with no poisonous snakes.:)

On the dry side of the state there are rattlers, but they're pretty shy. You almost have to step on them to get bit.

whenever i'm out trudging through the unknown, i carry a sig 2022 with 9mm cci snake shots loaded in it. have had to use it a few times and had worked great every single time

If there's a possibility of confronting bipedal vermin, I'd go with a "J" frame .38 Special. I'd normally recommend a 1911A1; however, ease and speed of changing rounds give the nod to a revolver.

Tell your friend to find a used S&W Model 10 or 64 with a 4" barrel. Then tell him to fuhgetabout the snakes. The ones you have to worry about, you never see until they hit you. And, of course, it's the two legged variety that causes the most trouble.

Last edited:
I have a farm in Ohio and always carry when in the woods....but my snake load is optimized for bipedal snakes. As others have said, given a choice, ANY snake will go the other way...or if it doesn't, the human can. Just make appropriate noises so the creatures know you are about.

There are VERY few reasons to have to kill something you find in the woods. The creatures there are just trying to live their lives, as we all do.

(Rabid animals are an exception, but I have yet to run across one.)

I think recommending either a 22 with snake shot or a judge. He won't be in bear country or have to worry about anything big I don't imagine. He wanted to go to a gun show with me and look at a knife to carry instead...

I agree w the former posts.

Bond Arms Snake Slayer hasn't been mentioned I don't think and is good for two shots against snakes.

I really feel best carrying the SW .38 air weight with first two shots for snakes and remaining three jhp for two-legged threats in a Stoner paddle holster. It's super easy to work with also (chainsaw, atv, etc.).

Thinking I might start using a walking stick too, after reading some of the prev posts though. A good idea that would scare away most things before stepping on them. Or at least provide more warming.

The thing with snakes

I find that I can jump(and scream like a little girlie) and get out of a snakes way faster than I can draw and crank a bullet in the direction of my feet.

You want to shoot snakes-go right ahead. I won't unless I really feel the need. Putting snakeshot in your handgun has always seemed like a waste of time to me.
I cannot speak for other people that deal with other snakes. My experience is with western snakes.

Originally posted by {b] Carmady:[/b]

+1 on the walking stick.

If your pal isn't an experienced handgun shooter all he'll do is make a bunch of noise.

^^^This. I have been "walkin thru the woods" for 60 years and have yet came across a snake that gave me time to draw a handgun, that couldn't have been dispatched/avoided by other means. This includes Timber rattlers and Massasauga.

I don't know what everyone is talking about who are talking about how hard snakes can be to hit...Haven't any of you seen any movies, all you have to do is point the gun in the right direction and the snake will strike at the bullet and get hit!

:D

OK, now that I got that out of my system, back to reality...

I think I'm with those who say a .38spl or .357mag. Here's why:

It doesn't sound like your friend is much of a shooter. He will need to practice. If he isn't much of a shooter, I doubt he reloads. If he doesn't reload he should probably avoid .45LC or .44mag (way too expensive to get enough practice when using factory loads). Of course, that would also rule out the Judge or Governor. It isn't too expensive to shoot a good deal of .38spl (when I first started I shot only factory .38spl and didn't go broke), and even when in one of the shortages it is usually possible to get .38 ammo.

I've never actually had to shoot at a snake so I don't know how much easier the larger .38spl shot shells will make hitting a snake over a .22, however, since he is probably more likely to need to defend himself against a human attacker a .38 or .357 will be much more capable. I'd do the .38/.357 with the first one or two cylinders loaded with snake shot (assuming he is really worried about snakes), and the rest with a good JHP.

I love camping and fishing. I spend a good deal of time outdoors. In MD and surrounding states there are some timber rattlers, and the copperhead is very common. However, both are also quite shy. The only snakes I've ever seen are non-venomous, and I've never felt the need to kill one. When in a state where I can carry, I usually carry with human attackers in mind and don't worry so much about defending against wildlife (a rabid animal is the most likely threat, and anything that can put down a person can put down a rabid raccoon, squirrel or fox). So, my recommendation is to look more at what would be effective in a typical self defense situation (now, my advice would be different for someone who is a gun person and is looking for an excuse for a new toy ;) ).

(now, my advice would be different for someone who is a gun person and is looking for an excuse for a new toy

Well, crap, you found me out hiding in this thread-but excuses for getting a new "toy" comes pretty easy for me anymore. I've had lots of practice...:o

tell your friend to pack a mid sized single stack 9mm for criminals, and a regular walking stick for snakes, most of which can be helped to the side without injury.

I will say from experience that a good chopping hoe beats a knife all hollow!

And a good Single Action beats a chopping hoe!

Bob Wright

There are VERY few reasons to have to kill something you find in the woods. The creatures there are just trying to live their lives, as we all do.

I agree with Sparemag.

Only poisonous ones I've seen were copperheads. But I didn't bother them...uh except for a little prodding from a long stick once to encourage their hasty retreat which was followed by my hasty retreat.... and they didn't bother me.

It's a lot easier to just go on my way than to stop, put my ear plugs in, make sure it's safe to shoot without causing a ricochet, and then kill something that belongs in the environment and is just trying to live it's life. An inclination to live and let live will benefit all of us sportsman..... sustenance and conservation

Live and let live is a good way to live your life....unless...you have stock grazing on the farm, two dogs, and 4 grandchildren that run all over the place. Any Copperhead or rattler I see on our place, here in KY or down at the cabin in NC, gets a load of whatever I'm packing that day. Last year I killed a cpl of timber rattlers here in KY, the first I'd seen in 25 yrs, and another pair in NC.

For those of you who recommend .22 rat shot for snakes, better try it out on a few tin cans first, the penetration is miserable, and a killing shot from 10 feet is nigh impossible. In lieu of that, I'd recommend solid or hp bullets of most any caliber. If you can't hit a snake's body or head from 8-10 feet, padnuh, you need more range time. Short of that, buy some Speer snake loads in your favorite center fire caliber.

Best Regards Rod

I think your friend needs a stick not a gun if he is mostly concerned with snakes. I have come across countless rattle snakes here in AZ and have not ever seen a situation where a gun was more appropriate than a stick or just walking around it. I would be more scared of some buckle head blazing away on the trail trying to hit a snake. :eek:

If your friend isn't really a gun guy, i doubt he will take the time to properly train with it and become proficient enough to reliably hit a snake. A gun that can fire snakeshot would probably be his best bet, if he is dead set on getting a gun.

woods gun

I have two woods guns. Both are .22s.
one is a S&W 317 snubbie that I carry in my pocket when upland hunting.
The other is an FN FiveSeven...light, extremely accurate, loads enough in one magazine that carrying a spare is not something that I do very often.
Pete

In the summer I carry my Sig P250 with the first 3 rounds snake shot and the rest HP. During the rest of the year the same 9mm alternating FMJ with HP. I want FMJ to bust through a hogs skull if a Biggin feels like it wants to tango.

Same gun he'd carry in downtown Atlanta, along with a walking stick. Snakes do not require a gun. If you see them, walk around them or use the stick to move them. If you don't see them, a gun doesn't matter.

In the extremely unlikely event he actually needs a gun in that situation it will be to defend himself from unsavory 2 legged individuals. Something small, light, and easily concealable would be my choice. For me it could be either my Kel-Tec P3AT, Glock 26 or Glock 19 depending on my mood, the threat level I anticipated and what I'm wearing. Something similar would be about perfect.

I hike all over North GA and occasionally TN and NC on a regular basis and one of those 3 are usually with me. Farther north in the GA Mts black bear are common and occasionally cause problems. If in an area where bear could be an issue I carry my G-20 in 10mm. In a situation like this larger guns such as the 10mm, 357 or even 44 start making sense. None are needed in an urban environment. If I were going to lug around one of the Judges, or similar large guns I'd just as soon carry a rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back