Best handgun for under $300 in 2014

Ruger P95. Can still be found NEW for $279.00 in the ATL (Blue).

While not for deep concealment, I easily carry mine iwb while walking the dog.

Tough to beat the bang for the buck.

Sticking with new handguns and using Bud's as a price reference, the pickings are fairly slim, Of the guns I would consider owning:

Cenerfire:
Bersa Thunder .380
Keltec P 3AT .380
Ruger LCP .380

Rimfire:
Heritage Arms .22 in several configurations
Ruger MK III, some variations
SW 22A

Of all these, the Ruger MK III has to be the top choice.

S&W SD9VE is right around $300. Comfortable, reliable, accurate, natural pointer, holds 16+1 of a modern caliber, has a light rail and Apex makes spring kits if you don't like the stock trigger. I had one for awhile before buying a few Glocks, but I don't know why I sold it due to it being a great low budget gun. I'll definitely have to buy another one someday.

BTW, it is not a Sigma, does not feel like a Sigma and does not have the same trigger pull as any Sigma/SD series before it. Did I mention it's not a Sigma...okay, because someone might tell you it is. ;)

There are a lot of good guns, even with a $300 limit. It would be hard to find a favorite, IMO these are all good bets for a defensive handgun on a $300 budget:

If a hard and fast $300 limit:

• Kel Tec Pf-9
  • Kel Tec P11 (if you can live with the trigger)
  • Used Ruger LC9
  • Used Taurus 85, 605 (if you'd prefer .357), 905 (9mm)
  • New Taurus 85 (if you are lucky on the price)
  • New Taurus 82 (if you are lucky on the price)
  • Used Taurus 82 or 65 (if you'd prefer .357mag)
  • Used S&W 10 (if you are lucky, it may take some looking to find one under $300 in some areas, or online for under $300 once you add transfer fees from your local FFL).

If a looser $300 range (up to 10-20% for the right gun), add:
  • New Ruger LC9
  • New Taurus 709
  • Kahr CW series (pick the caliber of your choice)
  • Taurus 809 or 840
  • Taurus Millennium Pro series

Again, I'd be very hard pressed to pick just one.

If I had to pick one, and I have to own it (or at least have owned it in the past), I'd go with the used S&W 10 or Taurus 82 (service sized revolvers can be concealed and make good home defense guns, the extra round and sight radius has it beat out the snubs), or it would be my 2nd Generation Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro if a potentially sub-$300 gun I currently own.

If it had to be one, and it could be any on the list, I'd be deciding between the Ruger LC9, Taurus 709, Taurus 809 Compact, Kahr CW9, or used Taurus 65.

Last edited:

I think I'd ante up an extra $50 or so over the $300 cap for the new 9mm Remington R51.

The MSRP is under $400, so the street price should be somewhat under that.

Sure wish I could find some S&W revolvers for under $300 around here that didn't look like they had been dragged behind a truck.

My picks:
1. A thoroughly inspected Rossi revolver.
2. EAA SAR B6 or B6 Compact
3. S&W SDVE Series.

Life is short, $300 is not very much money these days, sol save up and get the gun you REALLY want. Sticking to an under $300 budget for a tool that MIGHT have to save your life is possibly selling yourself (life) short. What did you pay for car or life insurance this last year? If you didn't have a wreck or die, you just pi$$ed that money away. Go for the gun you like.:)

For a little more than $300 I picked up a Kahr CW45 at Buds...I wasn't expecting much, but I was blown away by the quality and range performance.

Best handgun for under $300 in 2014

What's your favorite handgun(s) for defense purposes that can be typically found for under $300 (new or used).

6 weeks ago I would have put the Makarov pistol at the top of my list- but I think the CZ 82 is taking it over.

That leaves a bit of a question. Do you mean home defence, or personal defense (CCW)?
Weight, and size not being as important in a home defense gun, as mentioned there are several chouces in used 9MM or 38 Spcl. Why limit your defense weapon to 9X18 Makarov?
In a concealed carry, new 380 ACP (ballstically equal to 9X18 Mak) pistols like the Ruger LCP or Kel Tec P3AT are much lighter, smaller, and easier to conceal than either the Mak, or CZ82. Also there is a better choice in defensive ammo available in 380ACP.
Nothing wrong with either 9X18 chambered pistols as far as shooters. I have both. But for pocket carry, I have an LCP.

cheapshooter said:
That leaves a bit of a question. Do you mean home defence, or personal defense (CCW)?

I left that intentionally vague, just to promote more discussion.

Also, this is not for me. I have plenty of defensive and fun pistols, and I'm not really in the market, but I know there are a number of people in this price point, and hoped that we could pool our collective knowledge and experience to point them in the right direction. There are some really good pistols in the sub $300 range, there's just a lot of crap in there too.

The Arcus 98 DAC is a great option. Mine eats any 9mm I've shot out of it, and the recoil is next to nothing. Also, it takes standard BHP mags which are cheap and readily available. It is an all steel gun too, and if I remember right it weighs about 2 pounds.

The one thing I learned about gun buying over the years is that it's worth saving up a little longer and getting a quality gun that you really want than settling for something lesser. I would rather have a smaller collection of quality guns, than a large collection of cheap guns.

I would rather have a smaller collection of quality guns, than a large collection of cheap guns.

The CZ82 may not be expensive, but it aint cheap. :p

The CZ82 may not be expensive, but it aint cheap.

I was talking more about cheap in quality than cheap in price. My Ruger 10/22 and 22/45 as far as price of guns go are pretty cheap, same with my Mossberg 500. Although I think they are quality guns for their intended purpose. CZ's as well as Ruger's are great buys for the price you are paying, I have nothing against a good deal as long as the hardware can back it up.

Back