Best handgun for under $300 in 2014

JimmyR

OK guys and gals, just a weird little opinion question:

What's your favorite handgun(s) for defense purposes that can be typically found for under $300 (new or used).

6 weeks ago I would have put the Makarov pistol at the top of my list- but I think the CZ 82 is taking it over.

What about you, TFL?

Used is.. well, you can finds lots for under $300.

For New, here are a couple ...

Revolvers:
EAA Windicator (snub or 4"/ 6-shot) .357 Mag $280-ish
EAA Windicator (snub or 4"/ 6-shot) .38 special $260-ish
RIA Model 200 (4"/6-shot) .38 special $215-ish
RIA Model 206 (snub/6-shot) .38 special $230-ish

Semi Auto:
EAA SAR B6P 9mm (4.5" /16+1) $290-ish
Kel-Tec 9mm (3.1" /10+1) $250-ish
SCCY CPX2 Gen-2 9mm (3.1" 10+1) $250-ish
Bersa Thunder .380 acp (3.5"/7+1) $290-ish

There are lots more, but those seam to get good reviews

Gotta agree with the CZ 82. I have several, and they shoot as good or better (given the "limitations" of 9X18mm) than guns that sell for 10 times as much.

I wouldn't trade my Makarov for CZ-82. Not that the CZ isn't a great gun, it's just that I like my Mak that much! It's getting harder to find Maks under $300 now.

The SCCY CPX 2 is one handgun to give serious consideration. Mine has become my primary carry pistol.

Last edited:
Waspinator said:
Used is.. well, you can finds lots for under $300.

I know, which is why I asked for what can typically be found for under $300. Yeah, someone might get a sweet deal from a brother in law on an $800 gun, but that's not helpful to someone with a limited budget.

qwiksdraw said:
I wouldn't trade my Makarov for CZ-82. Not that the CZ isn't a great gun, it's just that I like my Mak that much! It's getting harder to find Maks under $300 now.

doofus47 said:
cz82 might be fine, but I when I carried my Mak, I never thought I was outgunned.

By no means am I bashing the original Makarov. To be as reliable a pistol made for a combat environment while containing 27 actual parts is astounding. The biggest reasons I am beginning to put my CZ82 above it as best is 1) Capacity 2) ergonomics.

Dc777 said:
Ruger p series

Definitely a great choice for home defense, but I would hate trying to conceal one of them.

The Ruger P345 is easily concealed, and can be had for around $300 if you really look. 8+1 of 45 acp makes a great defensive pistol.

I conceal my p 89 iwb easily every day. The p89 is a little smaller than the p 95. I use a blackhawk iwb holster

You can usually find a used Smith & Wesson M&P/Model 10 revolver in 38 Special for just under $300.

They worked for the cops for about a hundred years, so they must have done something right.

As stated above - Ruger P series.

9mm P95 can be found for around $300 new, at the right dealer.

Stoeger Cougar has gone up a bit - they used to be close to that

For a revolver, I'll second the used S&W option. Another, and I'll take heat for this, is a good Nagant revolver, $100 and up. It's well made, good caliber, if you only have $100, and want a revolver, it's something to look at.

Me, I'll spend the $300.

For an auto, the CZ 82 is good. The FEG P9R is out there for a little less than $300, I think 10 rounds of 9mm, not a bad choice.

Rock island 1911.

Revolver...definitely a used model 10.
Or you could get lucky. I paid $350 for a colt diamondback last year.

Semi auto....a used Turk or Philippine 1911. Buds guns just had a sale on new R.I. 1911's for $320 a few months ago. I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet.

The SCCY CPX 2 is one handgun to give serious consideration. Mine has become my primary carry pistol

I carry (well as soon as law is passed in IL) Kel tec pf-9 with crimson red dot. Nice setup, but would the SCCY be better??

Both under 300.00 although my Ruger sr-22 (299.00) is a nice little pistol although not really for carry.

Back