Best Gun Lube

This is like the endless oil threads in auto, truck and motorcycle forums. Since almost everyone has a firm opinion on what is best, I think one poster had the best response. It was:

Oil is better than no oil.
Clean oil is better than dirty oil.
The end.

White lithium grease; does not damage or weaken polymer, extremely visible so you can clearly see your amount and location of lube, not as thin as oil so it doesn't evaporate or burn up, but not as thick as other gun greases so the level of reduces friction provides is perfect. Also since it is white you can see it turn gray from powder residue and carbon and can easily clean and re-apply, but it holds dirt well and still lubricates good when dirty. I will continue using for all of my guns. AK, mosin, 1911, Walther PPQ, ruger 10/22 etc.

Slipstream grease and oil for the lube.

Tec-shield Elite for the cleaner.

I'm completely happy with both products, and it's all I use anymore.

I will say always grease for rails and sliding parts, oil for the rest.

The old timers liked "'bar" (bear) grease. That's what I like to use as well, sometimes I thin it out with some sperm oil.

Worked for the past 400 years, works just as well today. :cool:

For lubrication I use Frog Lube. Here's the link to a large scale slightly redneck test of most of the common gun lubes.

http://nextbukoutdoors.com/gun-care-product-evaluation/

That test is moronic, I stopped when I hit the water displacement section. He somehow managed to come up with a test so bad that it determined that WD-40 doesn't displace water.

It wasn't testing water displacement properties, it was testing the density of various oils relative to the density of water. His "test" would conclude that an aircraft carrier does not displace water.

Last edited:
I bought a 16 oz. bottle of Hoppes #9 several years ago. It has years to go before it's gone.
Mobile One, ANY viscosity for lube of EVERYTHING.
I wore out my first AR barrel. The bolt still looks brand new.

Hoppe's #9 or MPro7 for cleaning, TetraGun grease for slide contact points, and CLP or TetraGun lube for general lubrication and protection.

Looking for an answer to a question that will never really be answered. It's a matter of opinion/choice for the most part. There are many products available that can/could be considered 'the best'.

Eds Red for general cleaning. Sweets 762 for lead copper and heavy carbon bore cleaning. Mobil 530 and wheel bearing grease for lube. On my mossberg 500s, I just squirt a little breakfree, work the action a few times, and call it a day.

Hoppes #9 for cleaning. Good ol RemOil for lube. I learned most of my gun cleaning techniques from my grandpa so I'm old school ;) which is why I also use NON chlorinated break cleaner after heavy shooting or any steel case (which I only run in my AR not my pistols). However after brake cleaner use plenty of oil because break cleaner will really strip all protective oil along with shooting residue. Always worked for me and I am very particular about who handles my guns and how clean they are once they get put back in the safe

Back