Best Gun Lube

Anyone have an opinion on 1:1 Marvel Mystery Oil : Mobil 1? I haven't used it in EVERY imaginable condition, but it seems to work well where I HAVE used it.

Pistols:

Cleaner / Solvent = BreakThrough

Lubrication = Slide Glide Standard or Lite

AR:

Cleaner / Solvent = BreakThrough

Lubrication = Fireclean Oil

I like to leave ALL PARTS bone dry and clean. Then I apply either grease or oil where necessary. A lot of the lazy spray on CLP's get into places you don't want them and shouldn't want them to go, then gums up when all the carbon sticks to them.

Hoppe's #9 and brake cleaner as solvents.
Wilson Combat Ultimalube grease and oil as lubes, and Strike Hold as preservative and for lubing things that I don't want wet with lube.

I have been using Frog Lube exclusively for a couple of years. But I have used BreakFree CLP, Weapons Shield, and Ballistol in the past. They all seem to do a pretty good job.

"But, inquiring minds want to know why K Y was chosen over astroglide?"

Maybe it depends on whether you're entering from the muzzle or the breech. :D

But, inquiring minds want to know why K Y was chosen over astroglide?

Availability I guess. All I know is that after I shoot I'm not only a bit hungry but often sleepy and have a desire to smoke a cigarette. Weird huh? :confused:

Ed's Red for bore cleaning. Dexron III automobile transmission fluid or U.S. GI grease for lubrication of moving parts depending on firearm involved.

I watched a video from IraqVeteran8888 with the founder of Geissele, and he talked about a new lube that his wife's company ALG Defense developed.

Purple Go-Juice ?? They were showing it off at Shotshow. I can't find it readily online, might not be released yet... like most of the fun things we saw at Shot Show!

to clean everything beside brass/copper in the bore I use isopropyl alcohol. Works faster & better than anything else, specially the old stand by Hoppe. The IPA dries with zero residue. It always bothered me to have cleaner residue wondering if or how it contaminated the lubricant I apply on reassembly. You can get a bottle of 70% - 90% IPA anywhere & it's so cheap it's close to free.

For lubrication I use Frog Lube. Here's the link to a large scale slightly redneck test of most of the common gun lubes.

http://nextbukoutdoors.com/gun-care-product-evaluation/

isopropyl alcohol a bottle of 70% - 90% - so that means it has 30-10 percent water? would the water cause rust damage to pistol if you use this to clean it?

Hoppes for cleaning, and 5w20 synthetic automotive oil for lubrication. When I change the oil in my lawn mower every spring (it holds about 28 ounces so I have 4 ounces remaining) I save the rest of the bottle for gun lubricant. Just recently I started experimenting with Tetra Gun Grease. The jury is still out on that, but so far so good.

isopropyl alcohol a bottle of 70% - 90% - so that means it has 30-10 percent water? would the water cause rust damage to pistol if you use this to clean it?

I would think it would. Plus, the alcohol would strip any oil away leaving the metal open to rusting.

Most of the time I use Weapon Shield for general use and for the rails, especially on my Sigs, Slide Glide lite grease. The owner of Weapon Shield previously owned the company that makes FP-10 which is a pretty good lube as well.

Back