Best grab N go J-Frame

TxFlyFish

Looking for a small and lightweight J frame, either aluminum or scandium, that’s good for grab n go activities...such as walking doggo or getting mail. I’ve excluded the other manufacturers for the time being and sticking to S&W for this purchase. There are tons of current production and discontinued variations. Which one is the most suitable for such tasks? Also, does NOT matter if it’s 38 only or 357

It depends on if you have a preference towards an exposed hammer, shrouded hammer, or hammerless/internal hammer variation.

Unless you want recommendations on which hammer variation is best. And that's a can of worms.

I would get the .38 because that's more powerful than .357.

LOL:D
To understand this, you would have to paid attention to some other threads in this forum!:)

LCR suggestion deleted.
Oops, didn't see that you only wanted S&W.

I'm really happy with my 642. But I'd definitely recommend some range time with a few choices before you make a decision.

I have several J frames and have had more in the past. The J frame I carry the most and have shot a heck of a lot is my 342. I do have a 642 but I have trouble picking up the sights quickly. I try to practice with the 642 to reduce wear on the 342 but I still find myself shooting the 342 more.

I've shot hundreds of rounds through my 642 and carry it often. It does take practice, 38 special can really have some bite in an airweight.

If I was going for .357 though, I'd be looking at the 640-1 or 640 PD.

I love my 642 as well. I practice with it often. It took me quite a while to find a load that shot to POA. Once I found it it has become one of my favorites. I still practice most weekends with it because j-frames are not easy to master. At least not for me. Once I get some more funds together I'm going to go through a class with it if possible. I do wish I could find a 638 without a lock though. Someday I'll have one in my collection as well. I feel like the external hammer would be more fun at the range when messing around and trying for long shots. But the 642's lack of such does make me focus harder and do my part. I've had experiences with a few. Any would probably be a great choice.

I would get the .38 because that's more powerful than .357.

What the hell is going on? First, 9mm is more powerful than 357 Mag. Now 38 is more powerful than 357? Damn, I guess I need to get rid of my Taurus 608's and S&W 627's and get some revolvers in 9mm. This place is becoming Bizarro World.

As others said, it is hard to give a recommendation. You stated you want either scandium or aluminum, and you want a S&W. So, the rest is just what features you prefer. Do you want stainless or blued look (look because in scandium or aluminum, either finish will be equally protective, and neither look comes from stainless steel/raw metal or bluing)? Do you want an exposed hammer, shrouded hammer, or enclosed hammer?

Personally, I like all steel in a J-frame (and 6 rounds, so not a J-frame). I do have a 442 that I rarely carry (when I can carry) and almost never take to the range (it is not a fun shooter). I have an all steel Taurus 85CH (basically a bobbed hammer) which I do occasionally carry when I can and take to the range from time to time, it is much more comfortable to shoot. I have a Rossi 461 2" that I don't trust since it had some issues. For occasional pocket carry, and deeper concealment IWB, I'd get a Kimber K6s if I was doing it again.

Based on what you are looking for, I'd go with an aluminum version and not scandium. With that small/light a gun, I'd never want to shoot magnums, and the couple extra ounces will make practice with .38spl a little more pleasant. It should also be pretty substantially less expensive than the scandium .357s. Like I said, I have the 442. However, if you don't have a preference on features (stainless/blue, exposed hammer, hammer shroud, enclosed hammer), go with whatever you can get for the lowest price.

Last edited:
Howdy

I don't much care for a lightweight J frame in 38 Special, and sure as heck don't want one chambered for 357 Mag. I like a J frame with a little bit of heft.

Like a Model 36 (Chiefs Special)

model3601_zpsc9b48056.jpg

Model%2036%20Flat%20Latch%201961%2003_zpscfdunoe7.jpg

Or a Model 60 (Chiefs Special Stainless)

model%2060%2003_zpsttn8cypt.jpg

I had a Model 36 for decades. Loved it. Replaced it with three 637-2s because I like exposed hammers and light weight. Converted to titanium cylinders and center pins to further reduce weight. In order to inhibit titanium cylinder face erosion, I use 158gr .38Sp or 147gr 9mm and find that I prefer the 9mmx19. I've not tried .357Mag or 9mmx23 in them.

Owned a 642..liked the ergonomics but for ME..no fun to shoot and I couldn't hit anything with it..loooonnnggg trigger. If yer looking at a 642, I'd certainly rent one first.

Back