Best fighting revolver or pistol what is it? S&w 686+:episode 1

"Colt SAAs and S&W Schofields possibly". Post #35.(Moenie)

"Arguably the last US manufactured combat revolvers are the 1917s from both S&W and Colt."(Moenie)
Post #40

So which is it?  :confused:

"The military did use many guns you mention, but they were NOT built to specification for the military."(Moenie)

I wasn't aware the Military didn't have specifications on purchase orders / contracts for weapons (like the Colt Commando .38 revolver during WW2:cool:), ammunition, tools, vehicles, gear, etc. I thought everything was specifically outlined in the contracts Moenie?? :confused:

Once again We learn something new on this forum. :rolleyes:

PS; I mentioned the Colt Commando .38 Special that was built to military specs in WW2... let's not forget the S&W K frame .38 "Victory", built specifically (with a Military requested finish, improved hammer block safety and lanyard ring), for the Military during WW2.:cool:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...ctory-the-smith-wesson-victory-model-revolver

Last edited:
"Other than a few prototypes that never quite saw the light of day, Manurhin is the only company that has produced a combat revolver in more than 100 years;."(Moenie).

That, is baloney.;)
I realize you are new on the FL, but you should research more prior to posting statements like that. :cool:

combat revolvers

I am generally in agreement with SHURSHOT on this issue. Check out Canfield's book on U.S. military weapons of WWII. The 1911 was generally preferred over the Colt and S&W 1917 model revolvers, but both were ordered w. MilSpec criteria and both were used in combat - not just in training or for security guards. The Navy and USMC ordered S&W "Victory Model" M&P revolvers (with their own spec's, not just civilian guns - they even added contracts for improved hammer blocks). These were issued to aircrew in part because they were easier to carry in confined spaces in aircraft. They were also popular in the Pacific as "foxhole guns" at night; several striking real world experiences are reported by Canfield. The Seals have used stainless steel 357 mag revolvers from time to time. The Manhurin revolvers clearly have to be considered as designed for combat.

For me the best revolver for ‘combat’ would have been my S&W model 627, unfortunately it’s RIP due to an accidental double charge of Titegroup. 8 rounds of 158gr XTP’s over 2400 with a couple moon clips loaded ready to go worked quite well. I’d sure like to find another one, really miss that pistol. That’s right , I called it a pistol.

this old Model 65 would be my choice for a fighting revolver. It was rebuilt by the S&W custom shop. DAO, three inch heavy barrel, chamfered cylinders. It is quite a shooter.
iXdXZkP.jpg

You see these questions all the time.

What is the best revolver?

What is the best pistol or semi-auto?

What is the best fighting handgun?

There are 4 immediate thoughts that come to mind when I see these questions. The best is, what you have on you in a time of need, The one you train most with, The One you are most likely to carry and last but not least the one you shoot best

I like your test, but I don't see concealability or carryability as one of your tested criteria (though it is suggested in one of your questions, "The best is, what you have on you in a time of need")... Unless you are a soldier going into a combat zone or a uniformed police officer, or unless you are talking only about home defense (in which case I'd rather have a carbine when possible), those are important added criteria (IMO of course). Heck, even if you are a cop or soldier, weight and how well it carries is still going to be somewhat important (though on a duty belt it may be less important than with a concealment holster).

So, if I somehow knew I was going to be attacked today, or if concealment wasn't an issue (but I also couldn't have a rifle or shotgun), I might prefer a 4" or greater K-frame or L-frame .357mag or N-frame .45LC if I knew I'd only face one attacker. I'd go to a full sized pistol, or at least compact service pistol, in 9mm or .40S&W (like my CZ 75Compact, CZ PCR, CZ P01 or SIG P229) if there may be multiple attackers. However, in the real world, if I am a person with a CCW permit (and also for plain clothes police), concealment and weight matter.

Overall, I am a believer in carrying the largest (most capable) gun you can carry and conceal that you won't leave home. Until fairly recently (the past year or so) that was a compact service sized pistol in an aluminum alloy (mostly my P01 and PCR), sometimes an N-frame 625 Mountain Gun in .45LC in the winter (with layers of cover garments). After losing over 100LBS, those only work under cover garments (while I used to be able to carry the compact service pistols in a tucked IWB, now it is quite a noticeable amount of bulk on my belt). So, now I'm trying to figure out if a subcompact double stack like my 1st gen S&W M&P40c or a possible Glock 26 would work, or if my single stack P290RS and Kel Tec Pf-9 are needed for tucked IWB (if that's the case, I'll probably pick up one of the newer 10+ round double stack micro-9s, probably the SIG P365 or S&W Shield Plus). When I do a revolver now it is usually my 6 shot Taurus 856UL, but sometimes my new model Colt King Cobra.

I hate to break it to some of you but firearm development or arms development has always been pushed by armed conflict. If you trace the evolution of armed combat you would understand this.

Which is why I stated early on in the thread about S&W and Colt revolvers being made for combat. That does not mean they were made to military specifications. Having been on the writing end of specifications, you find a product you want and write the spec to meet the item.

Well, yes and no. No question that often the military has "pre-selected" a weapon that they want, and write spec's to fit. One example of a very expensive pre-select was the F-111B that they wanted adopted for the USAF, USN, and USMC. It was never suitable for carrier op's and never used by the Navy or Marines; but McNamara wanted it. I was at the time involved in its evaluation by the Navy. Your dollars at work.
I believe that the 1911pistol was designed to meet preexisting spec's. One can argue that the Colt & S&W model 1917, although a then current product, had never been made to chamber the .45 ACP cartridge, never used half moon clips, and never Parkerized, was re-manufactured to meet new spec's, and so a hybrid. But they were clearly used in combat.

On a different note, the S&W 65 is an excellent "fighting" revolver, and is the SS version of the Model 13, which in the 3 inch barrel configuration was extensively used by the FBI. These are user friendly, accurate, powerful - and desirable.

I think the thread has drifted from the OP's first post. But, I'll throw in my two cents worth on what is the best fighting revolver. It is the one you will carry or have by your side in day-to-day activities. My beautiful 8-inch barreled Python or 6-inch barreled Model 27 are completely useless to me as fighting revolvers because I'm never going to carry them while doing day-to-day activities.

Right now, mine would be a 2-inch barreled Ruger LCR (9mm) or my new model King Cobra (3 inch barrel). They are the only two revolvers I am carrying with any regularity.

For ccw I shoulder holstered a Redhawk 44 mag for many decades both the 5.5” barrel in summer and the 7,5” barrel in winter. Range? 100 yds. I mainly shoot at 25 yds with every handgun but after the shoot I take them out to 100 yds. Practice more longer distances. I shoot 9 mm Luger, 357 mag, 44 mag at 100yds. The 9 mm needs 3’ of Kentucky windage but it can be done.

Elmer Keith made a 265yd shot with a s&w m29/4” barreled 44 mag,

Back