Best fighting revolver or pistol what is it? S&w 686+:episode 1

I'm reminded of every episode of Starsky and Hutch.

Unfortunately no matter the truth of your heroic recap of jumping car hoods, no one believes you. It's pretty sad how the internet works so I keep those stories to myself.

No, I never jumped over car hoods but we had the hood off a '48 Buick that would hold eight kids and we reached speeds in excess of 15 MPH when being towed around a hayfield behind an 8N Ford tractor. The cows barely moved out of the way and the prospect of hitting a fresh cow pat that was part of the game because if you sat in front, well, you know the rest.

RJ

For me, a 4" Smith & Wesson Model 19.

Simply the best combination of ergonomics, weight, power, etc., ever put into any single revolver.

Am making a distinction that am not worried about concealing a "fighting" revolver. My choice would be a 3 in 625 45 acp. One with higher front/rear sights and rear sight "opened" up. Combined with custom rounds based on 45 AR brass.

One could only guess why.

In lieu of that one, a 3 in L frame loaded with 44 specials. Again with the higher front/rear sites and "opened" rear sight.

Some might say the Manurhin MR73 is the best fighting revolver made. GIGN put it to good use during the Air France highjacking.

"Simply the best combination of ergonomics, weight, power, etc., ever put into any single revolver".(Mike Irwin on the S&W 19)

Pretty hard to argue with that statement. Bill Jordan and S&W were at the top of their game with the K frame model 19.

Some might say the Manurhin MR73 is the best fighting revolver made. GIGN put it to good use during the Air France highjacking.

It’s the only revolver (to my knowledge) designed and manufactured especially for combat. And it’s made to comply with CIP pressure levels, which for .357 mag is around 25% higher than SAAMI levels.

It’s the only revolver (to my knowledge) designed and manufactured especially for combat.

Smith and Wesson's and Colt's were designed as fighting revolvers...... Heck a SAA was designed for combat......

It’s the only revolver (to my knowledge) designed and manufactured especially for combat. And it’s made to comply with CIP pressure levels, which for .357 mag is around 25% higher than SAAMI levels.
I think you mean the only one marketed as a combat revolver. I believe the S&W Combat Masterpiece predates it by a few decades, also marketing.

“If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, I want my Wilson Beretta in my hand.”

If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight I just wouldn’t go there.

I think you mean the only one marketed as a combat revolver. I believe the S&W Combat Masterpiece predates it by a few decades, also marketing.

The MR73 was specially developed to specification for the French GIGN to be used in anti terrorist operations. The MR73 is a 100% true combat revolver, nothing to do with marketing.

Ironically the MR73 was developed as a result of S&Ws (model 19s I believe) not being able to withstand the prolonged use of full power .357 the CIGN used in their daily practice.

Last edited:
Smith and Wesson's and Colt's were designed as fighting revolvers...... Heck a SAA was designed for combat......

Colt SAAs and S&W Schofields possibly.

K, L and J frames most certainly not. The US military have not issued a requirement for a combat revolver in a very long time.

Last edited:
Moenie,

You are aware that the US Military has used revolvers in WW1, WW2, Cold war era, etc.? Both Colt and S&W produced numerous models and sizes as specified / required for various branches... designed for... COMBAT. Not just Colt SAA's and Schofields in the old West, but many models and frame sizes of double actions, .45's, .41's and .38 Special's from Teddy Roosevelt's era foward.

If you don't believe us, research it and or go visit some Military Museum's, The SEAL Museum in Florida, etc. and you will see S&W K frame model 10's, 15's, Colt New Services, Colt .38 Double Actions, Colt Model of 1909 .45. ...Model of 1917 Revolvers—Colt and Smith & Wesson .45 ACP., S&W “Victory Model” ...Colt “Commando” , USAF M13 “Aircrewman” , Ruger “Service Six” Military Revolvers.

Last edited:
best revolver? this one is a tier above most.

my personal opinion, the best revolver is the one that takes advantage of powerful magnum rounds, while still remains a competitor to the speed of reloading.
i carry revolvers. back ups, primarys, shtf, woods, i carry revolvers most of the time. and ive done ALOT of research on which revolver is the best all around revolver. and what ive come up with, is the ruger 45acp/45colt.
why?
a 45 colt ruger that is cut for moon clips can handle 45 magnums.
so you have, powerful 45 magnum rounds, reloads as quick as a semi automatic, the option to use 45acp, or 45 colt, 4' barrel so its the perfect medium between small enough to carry big enough to fight with, perfect grip shape for concealment, after market support isnt too bad, ruger does some kind of black magic in their custom shop and now my redhawks trigger is better than most glock triggers, i mean honestly i can go on and on.

but look into it yourself. im sure you will agree

For home defense where I don't have to carry and size is not important, I would use semi auto. My 9mm S&W659 have 14 rounds. Big semi auto are usually very reliable not like the small ones.

I used to think semi auto is the way to go carrying out, but I now find the Ruger LCR that is only 13.5oz and +P, small semis don't do any better, small and light semis are known to be unreliable. So I am swaying towards the Ruger.

Also, in close quarter fight with someone, if you stick the gun to the body of the person, semi auto will not work because you push the slide back, but a revolver will work.

Last edited:
Moenie,

You are aware that the US Military has used revolvers in WW1, WW2, Cold war era, etc.? Both Colt and S&W produced numerous models and sizes as specified / required for various branches... designed for... COMBAT.

The military did use many guns you mention, but they were not built to specification for the military. Ergo, they were not designed for combat. They were designed for a wide variety of uses and military just happened to be one.

M16s were designed for combat and was built to meet standards drawn up by the military. N, L, K and J frames were not designed to meet requirements drawn up by the military. Arguably the last US manufactured combat revolvers are the 1917s from both S&W and Colt.

Other than a few prototypes that never quite saw the light of day, Manurhin is the only company that has produced a combat revolver in more than 100 years; and they produced the MR73 around 50 years ago.

Last edited:
Back