Best fighting revolver or pistol what is it? S&w 686+:episode 1

Mr.RevolverGuy

You see these questions all the time.

What is the best revolver?

What is the best pistol or semi-auto?

What is the best fighting handgun?

There are 4 immediate thoughts that come to mind when I see these questions. The best is, what you have on you in a time of need, The one you train most with, The One you are most likely to carry and last but not least the one you shoot best. So I have put together a little test to figure out what is best for ME.
Screenshot-2021-02-27-172420.png

https://youtu.be/xdHhigG-K68

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-27 172420.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-27 172420.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 50
No such thing as best. Best is what you like and functions and is reliable. I don't care for Colt 1911's or Kimber but like Springfield. Carried a 1911 throughout my military career and than carried one for 30 years afterwards. I chose Springfield because their firearms appeal to me where the other ones don't. Now I carry a 686 with 3" because this gun appeals to me also. But is it better than a Ruger or Charter arms or any other gun. I don't know and have no practical experience to say anything negative or positive about other manufacturers.
Buy what ever pulls your heartstrings because you will get responses based on emotional attachments of what they own.

I'll be interested to see how other revolvers score on your test. What's going to be tested in episode 2?

best?

If I knew what and where it was coming from, for 50 yds my .357 Max Contender.
Within 25yds my S&W 41Mag
Any closer, Colt 1911.

In revolver, which is best??

Basically, it come down to what you are carrying right then and there!

Normally, carry a S& J-frame, in .38SPl., either is a IWB or inside pocket, [read weather dictates.]

Was at a bookstore , while wife was at a fabric store across the parking lot.
fabric store closed and she walked to bookstore and retrieved me.

Walked straight to our car and noticed amid-90's Lincoln Town car pulled from a
parking space and did a 180 and drew a bead on US walking. I keep the hood ornament in site and confirmed it was centered on me, as it cut across the two lines of marked stalls. As it entered the normal driving strip towards me, I was approaching a light pole with a cement base about 18 inches high, I turned to my right[giving me a modicum of protection] after passing it and I had decided that if the driver DIDNOT deviate from me, as I was fingering the J-frame in my pocket. [Basically I was going to throw myself on his hood and press the muzzle against the windshield.] The driver turn to his right breaking off.
As he passed his window was down. I just stood and let him pass.
When I go to that city {NW Ohio] I am carrying a 4" revolver .38 Spl., or .357 , 1911 style semi in 9mm or .45

Simply it comes down to situational awareness and planning what you response will be.

When traveling especially @ night, I'm carrying in a shoulder holster with light sweater or fleece jacket.

"Fighting" handgun brings to mind as in a fire fight, I would want one of the hi cap guns, Glock, Beretta, Sig etc. That's why the military uses them. For self defense and in a carry gun, I carry a 642 in my pocket. For 15yards I would prefer a larger gun. I can get hits on an IDPA target at 15 with the 642 but they won't all be in the "zero down" area. I'm a tad faster with the LC9 but I can't draw it out of a pocket due to it's shape. From a low ready the LC9 or any other semi or larger revolver is faster and more accurate than the 642. The 625 45ACP or L Frame are favorites for shooting but both a tad heavy for carry. I have a new Shield 9MM EZ at S&W right now that may be good for carry if I can find a holster I like. For me it handles much better than the G19 or thinner Glock.

"Fighting" handgun brings to mind as in a fire fight,...

I look at it slightly differently, and so, have different priorities. TO me, the "best" fighting handgun will be one that is actually one that is "best" to fight with, and I'm not talking shooting.

"Fighting" to me, means an actual hand to hand fight, where you might actually have to hit the other guy with the gun. For that, I'd want something with some heft to it, steel, and the more the better.

Is it unlikely? oh yes. a very, very low order probability, BUT, when/if everything else fails, your handgun is an impact weapon. Remember the old Superman shows, he bravely stood there and bullets bounced off him, but when the bad guy threw the gun at him, he ducked!:rolleyes:

Seriously, if you are in a grapple, hitting the other guy with your gun is an option worth considering, and I'll carry the extra weight on the tiny, tiny chance I might NEED it, someday.

I also rule out guns that can be pushed out of battery by firm contact with an opponent, as the "best" fighting handgun. Everybody is going to have their own opinion of what is "best", there's no one single answer.

My idea of the "best" fighting handgun? It has .30-30 Winchester on the barrel, a lever action and a walnut stock.

Kind of difficult to tuck in my waistband, so I have several handguns I carry instead... but have no doubt, they all, no matter how good, are my 2nd choice. Hard to beat a good rifle.

I turned to my right[giving me a modicum of protection] after passing it and I had decided that if the driver DIDNOT deviate from me, as I was fingering the J-frame in my pocket. [Basically I was going to throw myself on his hood and press the muzzle against the windshield.]

You watch too many bad movies.

Back