best copper fouling remover

tahunua001

hello all,
I have finally come to the conclusion that poor accuracy with one of my rifles may be due to copper fouling. what is the best product you've found that works for removing copper fouling.

if the smell doesn't burn the hair out of the inside of your nose, that's a plus.

Check with your local 'smiths and gun stores for those who clean bores with Outer's Foul Out. Do some research: as I understand it the gadget and similar gadgets made by others, are great if used correctly, damaging if misused, much like the brush and liquid techniques. Find someone with a good track record.

Sweet's 7.62 or Barnes CR-10. They are pretty much the same stuff, ammonia based copper solvent.

Yeah, you nose is pretty much screwed.

I could never get foul out to work on copper. Worked well with lead but copper was more trouble then it was worth. They don't make them any more as far as I know. Would have thought they'd take off if they worked well.

At one time I thought BoreTech Eliminator wasbthe best, however Unclenick wrote a reply to another thread in this forum that exalted KG12. Its pretty good, like Mehavey replied, swab bore wait five minutes and push brown crud out. Its quicker than Elimintor, and used together you can count on total copper removal.

I am on my first bottle of mpro7. I used it for the first time after cleaning with another top rated product. I got blue goo out of the rifle. Great. So I shoot my normal count again prior to cleaning. This time using the old mpro7 first. I got blue from the rifle using the top rated product after the mpro7. Great.... The mpro7 does not smell up the entire house. BIG PLUS. I guess I am not completing the process with either product. This has me on the hunt for a reasonably priced bore scope. I looked at the in-wall scopes available at Home Depot. Huge improvement in wall scopes in the years since I had to look into walls. If they were about half their current size, they would fit in the bore of a .22. Looks like a winner for chamber inspection, most handguns. Cool gadget to have either way. $200.00. Is there a similar product that is available in the gun cleaning world?

Several guys have done tests using copper bullets submersed in solutions to see how much copper the various products dissolved. I've never seen one beat KG-12.

I use a foaming cleaner to start, clean that out and then use KG-12. Clean that out and repeat the foam. The foam doesn't remove a whole lot of copper but it does a nice job of loosening the general filth and turns blue when there's copper.

The only downside of KG-12 is that it's color change is rather subtle. It goes from an opaque brownish color to a slightly less opaque brownish color. The foam goes from white to blue or even purple. No question if there's still copper or not.

Brian,

I run KG-1 to get the powder fouling (which also attacks minor copper)
Then a sopping patch of KG-12 to get the real copper.
The real test is when the susequent dry patches (after that one application) quit pulling brown gunk out.
Then it's done

I used to use Butch's Boreshine/Shooters' Choice afterward to check for "Blue,"
but never got any color reaction :D and so quit checking. ;)

Back