Best cheap milsurp rifle for SHTF???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who says full size surplus battle rifles arnt good for close range, 10 ft or less.

My '98 Krag Rifle worked quite well on close targets during a three gun match.

08252013958.jpg

I'm amazed that a SHTF thread, that even has it in the title, has lasted a full two days without being locked and sent to the archives.

MosinNOUGAT, you may want to revisit the forum rules:
5. Topics and conduct that will not be tolerated:
Multiple registrations
Drive-by cut and paste posting
Cross posting (Posting the same, or substantially the same, thread/topic in multiple forums)
Political Advocacy posts, or any purely political topic. However, some very few exceptions may be made.
Conspiracy threads or posts
Posts or threads on Race, Religion, and Sexuality
The End Of The World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI), AKA: SHTF or Doomsday threads and Zombie threads
Knowingly and willfully advocating violation of a standing federal or state law (any state)
Violating our Copyrighted Material Policy

Personally...
I'd be grabbing my .22 WMR for a survival situation that warranted a rifle. Nope, not a mil-surp.
But light, compact, effective, relatively quiet, simple, easy to fix, scoped with iron sights, and I can pack or carry about five times as much ammo (and magazines, if desired) for the same space/weight restrictions.

I thought the same thing about shtf in the title; but this thread hasn't really gone down the tubes with whacky scenarios.
Mostly everyone is sticking to the guns asked about.

Could probably piece an AR together from milsurp parts kinda. A lot of milsurps ware just reconstituted parts kits with a lot of aftermarket parts.
My FAL seems to have very few original parts.

I know you can get surplus furniture for ARs, cause I looked at some.

I'm amazed that a SHTF thread, that even has it in the title, has lasted a full two days without being locked and sent to the archives.

Ya, me too!

Probably because it's not about zombies (and zombies are total bs) and it's about real survival scenarios. Or maybe because it's so popular and it would look bad to take it down??:confused: I don't know, but I'm happy it hasn't, it's fun and informative to read!:D

This was before I read the rules, so I will now say "survival" rifle whenever I ask something else.

I'm fine with people using odd terms, or adding a little dialect into their writing, at least I know that they ain't some uptight ashhat.

But, I really wanted to ask how dead set you are on your requirements?

If you want milsurp only, you may have to up your budget.

If you set on the budget, but willing to give something up about the milsurp'iness, we can get you pretty far with $400.

And to all you buckaroos out there, lighten the heck up! :D

Frankenmauser said:
Personally...
I'd be grabbing my .22 WMR for a survival situation that warranted a rifle. Nope, not a mil-surp.
But light, compact, effective, relatively quiet, simple, easy to fix, scoped with iron sights, and I can pack or carry about five times as much ammo (and magazines, if desired) for the same space/weight restrictions.
Hmm, I could agree with you, but only if we're talking a single shot for the purposes of shooting .22 LR for small game and because .22 LR is a lot cheaper than .22 Mag and can be stocked up on before the "business hit the circulating blades."

Yeah, people will say, "OMG! ONLY SHOOT WHAT YOUR GUN IS CHAMBERED FOR OR YOU'LL BLOW UP!!!!!!!!" That doesn't apply for .22 LR in a .22 Mag chambered gun, show me a .22 Mag chambered gun that "blew up" after shooting a single .22 LR round.

Alright, why single shot? Because the .22 LR case is going to more than normal in a .22 Mag chamber and are difficult to extract. Shooting a .22 LR in a lever or bolt gun for .22 Mag could damage the extractor or the ejector and you don't want that to happen, let alone for the SHTF.

Furthermore, with a single shot rifle like the H&R/NEF Handi Rifle, you could have an extra barrel that shot a much more powerful round for better effect at longer ranges or for defense against big, dangerous game or dangerous people.

Strongly suggesting people avoid .22 LR in a .22 WMR is not about "blowing up" the firearm.
It's about protecting the firearm and the shooter.

You don't have to "blow up" a firearm to suffer personal injury. All it takes is one little, tiny fragment of a blow case (or primer for centerfires) to blind you. It isn't worth the risk.

If you fire .22 LR in a .22 WMR chamber, the case will split and cause gas cutting. Get enough gas cutting, and you can no longer extract cases.
If you can't extract cases, that firearm is nearly - if not totally - useless.

Extra barrels?
I thought this was survival, not a weekend camping trip with the local Boy Scout troop?
If you can haul around an extra H&R barrel, you can haul around an extra rifle/shotgun.
If you want a single-shot survival rifle, pick up a .45-70 H&R. It'll be lighter than a .22 LR version. And, you get to haul around ammo and chamber inserts, as necessary, for .45-70, .410, 9mm, .22 LR, and anything else under the rainbow.

...Not my cup of tea.

> Easiest ammunition to find right now in the US is .223/5.56

Everyone wants "the most common calibers" "because they will be easily available."

In 1994 and 2008, .223, .308, 9mm, and .45 ACP evaporated from the supply lines in a few weeks as people stocked up with everything they could buy.

.30-30, 54R, .357 and .44 Mag were still on the shelves for at least another year.

Thats why I always promote reloading and having a good stock of ammo on hand before it goes crazy. Waiting till the last minute will either leave you without ammo or paying scalper prices when you do find it.

A gun with a little ammo will be OK for a little while. When you have so much ammo for your gun that your buddies think you have lost it then you have almost enough.:)

I'm fine with people using odd terms, or adding a little dialect into their writing, at least I know that they ain't some uptight ashhat.
And to all you buckaroos out there, lighten the heck up!

Finally, a TFL-er with a sense of humor. ;)

Word, my bene coves. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back