Best caliber for home defense...?

The caliber that's best is the one you shoot best, is easy to find, cheap to shoot for practice, and can be reloaded easily (if you reload).

12 ga with 00 buck also works well.

The first answer here is not really one of caliber. The start for home defense should be a hardened perimeter. Good outside lighting with motion sensors, good solid doors with secure deadbolts and security film on windows will go a very long way towards keeping you from hearing something going "bump" in the night.

If you have good home security, you will have plenty of warning to get to whatever weapon you choose. Given enough time and power tools, it would be possible to break into my house. My wife and I would have plenty of time to wake up, get dressed, call the authorities, arm ourselves and get a pot of coffee going for when the police arrive.

All that being said, my immediate access weapon is a Ruger SR 1911 loaded with Speer Gold Dot 45acp 230 grain GDHP. My wife is partial to her Glock 19 with Speer 9mm 124 grain GDHP

Use the firearm that you can consistently hit your target. Shot placement and the safety of innocent people are the two most important issues. You don't need to "blow up" an assailant merely stop them from injuring you or others. Best wishes

I would say 9mm. I live in a neighborhood but more importantly I have small children in the house. For me I figure if someone comes through my door 99% my 9mm will be on me or certainly the closest to me. I need to be able to shoot whatever with one hand so that I can gather,grab, hold or push my family to safety. For me this disqualifies a shotgun.The walls in my home are like rock and I have "heard" that a 9mm will not pentrate them. Not that I have ever shot a handgun in my home:rolleyes:

Back