Best backup boot gun for LEO

Ok, two choices come to mind.

A very small Semi-auto like a Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P32 (my favorite as it is ultra small yet 8 shots), Glock 42, etc.. all .380 or .32.

Or a J frame Centennial .38 5 shot revolver.

Both Semi-autos and revolvers will have some good and bad points but either one will do the deed. Of the 2 types, the semi-autos are thinner and usually lighter but the aluminum J Centennial would be a bit more reliable.

Deaf

I have carried a BUG at different times, and for different reasons: to arm someone else, to supplement capacity, to prepare for possible primary weapon failure, etc.

That said, for a BUG carried while on duty, I would look at a few things first:
*What make/model/caliber is the duty weapon? If possible, try to keep the BUG as similar to the primary as possible (i.e. a G43 paired with a G17, a DAO revolver with a DAO Sig, etc.) The more similar the BUG is to the duty weapon, the easier it will be to use, especially since the BUG will not be used as often, so we want as much motor memory to generalize as possible. There may not be a perfect pairing for each duty weapon, but closer is better.

As for particular weapons, I love J frame revolvers, and think the Centenial J frames (S&W 642, for example) are darn near perfect. I personally traded my 642 for a 640 (stainless steel 357 J frame), but that is because my 642 is more of a primary CC weapon.

I no longer carry a backup, but when I did, it was in a Boot Lock holster and was a G23 to back up my G22. My reason was that way I could reload using my full size mags. A G27 would have worked as well.

When I do throw a backup into my pocket, it's either a TCP or a 642 now. And that's only for when I go from the road to dispatch.

Might want to check with the Department. Many have rules on what sort of backup that can be carried.

My dept. did as far back as the mid 70s.

I carried a J-frame smith. Not a fan of ankle holsters but that's just my personal opinion.

I worked in Anchorage, It sometimes got nippy there. Our issued parka's had a side zipper that was suppose to allow access to your service revolver. But try as I could, I couldn't come up with a way to keep the gun from getting tangled up in the coat every time.

So I just started carrying my stubby in my coat pocket. Always ready and could be fired from the pocket if need be.

But still, before one buys a backup, he/she, needs to check with the Dept. regarding what is authorized. Plus many (all that I know of) require the officer to qualify with the backup/off duty pistol/revolver.

"...I wouldn't be caught absent a bug..."

If your department bans them, and you are found to be carrying one, you will be caught absent a badge and a job.

I know some of the posters are experienced LEO's and I thank you for your service. But some may not be or not realize the implications of ignoring or disobeying regulations. No one wants to be involved in a shooting, no matter who is killed or wounded. But if you, a LEO, are involved, especially in some high profile incident (we all know what I am talking about), you better be squeaky clean. Not only will the media be out to get you, but your own department's lawyers will not necessarily be on your side. If they can find some excuse to cut you off at the knees, they will do so to deflect a lawsuit and save the jurisdiction money. And one way to do that is to show that you were in violation of regulations. You become the issue. You broke the rules, and because you did, they won't defend you. They will tell you to hire a lawyer and good luck, as they take your badge kick you out the door.

If the BUG saved your life or the life of someone else, they might cover for you. But if it was taken and used against you or someone else, you might almost wish you were dead.

Jim

Fwiw.....

We recently issued our officers new BUG's. They had a choice of G42 or G43 (ended up being a 50/50 split). Choice of DeSantis Diehard ankle (most chose ankle) or Nemesis Pocket holsters.

Guns ran great on the range. Great reviews on the holsters after six months of use.

JAMESK - As a mid level police administrator, I can agree that I certainly don't advocate going beyond your department's policy guidelines.

That said, if you're working for an agency that forbids a back up gun, folks should really consider re-educating their administration. I would PERSONALLY take my chances and carry one regardless. Use the old "beg forgiveness than ask permission" idea. I again don't advocate others doing the same but I certainly am not working the streets without being prepared to overcome the scenario of my service pistol being taken/disabled.

As long as it complies with Dept. policy, I would suggest consideration of the S&W 642 .38 Spcl. For 2/3 of my career I did not carry a back up gun. Never believed I would ever need one. One day I really did. Afterwards I carried a BUG, most often a 640 or 642, every working day for my last 11 years on the street. The 642 is not Hi Cap, not tactical, not super devastatingly powerful, doesn't have a rail for a LASER/light, etc. But the 642 is light, compact, easy to use and a totally reliable little firearm. Sure wish I'd had a basic little 642 one afternoon when I really needed it...ymmv

A revolver is always a good bet as a BUG. As has been said, if the handgun is in ankle-carry, it will be jarred and quite a bit. A Charter Arms revolver might work well. An S&W is better (as it will likely be more reliable after being battered around "on the job").

Remember, he is betting his life on a "last ditch" piece. Regular maintenance and care will make certain that it will go "bang" when it should.

Last edited:

I've gone through several different duty guns in 32 years. I haven't found a better back up gun. 642. It's the only gun I may wear out from the outside in.

Either in a pocket holster or a Renegade ankle holster. The renegade is the best ankle holster I have ever worn.

Nothing beats the stone cold reliability of a revolver under adverse conditions. Limp wrist, one hand, crappy grip. Whatever. And, it's a great gun for when you don't really feel like carrying a gun or, need something small and lightweight.

I carry a S&W Model 49 Bodyguard in a holster that is attached to my vest under my shirt. I find the presence of a SHTF handgun to be comforting whether or not I'll ever use it. In fifteen years I haven't but who knows what will happen on my next Monday. Backups are authorized by my department by the way. We also can carry an AR-15 rifle and a Remington 870. My primary handgun or pistol is the Glock 19.

BoogieMan,

The Model 60 was the staple back-up gun for cops since before Clint Eastwood was Dirty Harry.

Tell your son to read, The Onion Field. The actual Onion Field kidnap and murder revolutionized law enforcement academy training. But that's mostly the way it goes. It takes a cop dying to get things changed.

Never, ever give up your gun. If a bad guy gets in position to force a cop to surrender his gun, my belief if go with your training, which is to never surrender your gun.

At around the time of the Rodney King arrest, approx 25% of all murdered cops were murdered with their own guns, which rendered spurious the claim of dirt bags defending one of their own that King was unarmed. He had a lot of guns available to him. All he had to do was grab one, which was why I thought that Koon should not have ordered a swarm technique on a possibly dusted suspect. But then again, Koon wanted to arrest King, not kill him. Koon was a man steeped in honor and character who was railroaded by corrupt politicians including Bush 41. That he and Powell were convicted caused me to know that dirt bag attorneys on both sides of the aisle will pursue political agendas, not justice. Koon and Powell should've never been tried. There is a profound lesson for your son were he to comprehend this fact. Attorneys will make a political pawn out of him in a New York second, justice be damned.

I believe that better training has reduced that percentage of cops murdered with their own guns.

I've never carried a back-up gun. It was my choice. I had resolved that were a dirt bag to get me in a position where he wanted my gun, whatever was going to happen was going to happen at that moment and that location. Were he to kill me, it wouldn't be with my gun.

Please tell your son to stay safe.

Hi, 849ACSO,

I understand your views, and I am not saying not to carry a BUG (though I never did). I am trying to make LEO's aware that violating department rules can have ramifications beyond a dirty look from the chief. In the end, we all make our own decisions and live (or die) by the consequences.

Jim

James K,

Are there agencies that deny back-up guns?

If there are, that would be amazing.

Back-ups should be allowed by every law enforcement agency in the nation: federal, state, and local. Decision to carry a back-up should be the officer's.

One last thought: every law enforcement agency in the nation must be forced to issue the best quality handguns available. Cost must never be a consideration. If agencies have to pay 2k or more per copy, then that's what they should have to pay. Saving cops' lives is far more important than saving dollars.

One more last thought: cops must have a voice in guns they want to carry. They should never be forced to carry agencies' issues. If a cop shoots a Glock better than an agency issue H&K, he must be able to carry the gun with which he feels safest and shoots best. The one-size-fits-all malarkey is foul smelling. I know they contrary arguments, and to me, they're nothing more than feeble attempts to justify administrators' decisions. I will always side with cops when it comes to saving their lives.

One more last thought: cops must have a voice in guns they want to carry. They should never be forced to carry agencies' issues. If a cop shoots a Glock better than an agency issue H&K, he must be able to carry the gun with which he feels safest and shoots best. The one-size-fits-all malarkey is foul smelling. I know they contrary arguments, and to me, they're nothing more than feeble attempts to justify administrators' decisions. I will always side with cops when it comes to saving their lives.

I am fortunate enough to work for an agency that has this philosophy. We supply the leather and the ammo, you supply the gun, within policy guidelines.

As an administrator, I view this from several angles. The first is officer attitude and happiness. If an officer is forced to use something they don't do well with, they will be less likely to train with it. Let them carry a gun they LIKE, and they will likely train on their own as well as when required.

The second is care. Folks always tend to take better care of something they are invested in, resulting a better cared for gun, equating to better reliability. This is one of the reasons we have take home patrol cars. When it is considered "theirs" it's kept much cleaner and better maintained, resulting in a better public image and a longer lasting car, saving the taxpayers money.

The third is liability. If I make someone use a gun they don't shoot well, and I know it, then when they miss and hit someone that didn't "need no shootin", how do I justify that? That's like buying tractor trailer units to patrol in, and being surprised when I get sued for someone crashing one and hurting somebody by an officer that can't drive one as well as a professional truck driver. Why would I want to force that?

Police administrators are too tied up in the all mighty dollar to see the ability to save money and lives through common sense.

I'm not a police officer but if I was carrying something like a G17 as a primary, I might try to carry a G26. If a G26 is too big, an Airweight to Airlight S&W revolver would be my choice.

My department currently authorizes backups from a list of firearms. They did not when I was on the job from '73 to '99 but I carried a Smith Model 60 in a pocket sewn inside my winter jacket or a holster under my shirt on a vest strap depending on the time of year. I violated departmental policy and might have been in hot water if I had to use it but at least I would have been around to be disciplined or fired.

Last edited:
A lot depends on the size of the department, the attitude of the political leadership, the size of the budget, etc.

A small department (say less than 10 officers), with no armorer, and where officers buy their own guns, there is usually a lot of leeway. In a large department, training officers, training armorers and keeping parts for everything from Glocks to Lugers would be ridiculous. And in a small town, there is a lot less likelihood of a police gun problem ending up in riots and law suits.

SansSouci, "...best quality handguns available. Cost must never be a consideration..." sounds great, but this is not the ideal world and budget does enter. Can YOU explain to a City Council just why gun X is better than gun Y when one looks exactly like the other, fires the same ammo, has the same feel, etc., but X costs $100 more? The $100 might not matter to you, but if you are buying 2000 of them, that $200,000 can matter a lot.

Yes, there are departments and agencies that ban backups; IIRC, the FBI is, or at least was, one of them. The reason is that all too often a "backup" gun becomes a "throw down" gun, and that is frowned on by a lot of folks up the food chain. (Planting evidence, filing a false report, lying under oath, etc.)

Jim

Back