Best 40SW handgun for home defense/target shooting

if it's to be used *only* for home defense and target practice, then why not get the longest barrel available? a longer barrel gives you more bullet velocity, more sight radius, less recoil, less muzzle flash, and less noise. the result is more "stopping power", more accuracy, less disorientation and less damage to your hearing.

my top choice would be a glock 35.

For the uses you described either a G22 or G35 would work well. I have both and would be hard pressed to pick which I like better.They both perform well in IDPA matches also. I usually shoot my G17 in IDPA though. Don't get hung up on the bulged case issue. If you don't try to turn the .40 into a 10mm the cases will last a long time.

If you are going to use it for targets, you want the one that will shoot the smallest groups. I've tried a reasonable number and have never found a more accurate one than the Smith Performance Center 40 Limited.Real accuracy can be expensive,but as is the case with many things, quality costs!!

USP .40 full size and a Universal Tactical Light and pressure switch. Had it for three years. Still have it. Merry Christmas!

------------------
RONIN - samurai with no masters

Steyr M40 first.
Glock 31 357 with a KKM .40 barrel and .22 coversion kit second. Heck, both are necessary for this fan.

Did Steyr already remedy the problem of brass ejecting low and to the rear?

"The FBI uses it now because they put 200,000 rounds through one without a failure." There were three failures to eject during the testing. Three different guns were used and 200,000 rounds were not fired thrrough any one pistol. There's a full covergare of this in the Glock Annual, 1997 I believe.

If accuracy is top on your list get a P226. If you want something more compact get a P229. Glocks are great but just remember in 40SW more case failures (due to unsuppported chambers) are reported for them than other brands. And don't buy the line that it's because more people own and shoot Glocks. As well if you intend to shoot lead point make sure you clean the barrel often, the hexagonal rifling used quickly builds pressure with lead shot up and can lead to failures.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited December 19, 1999).]

What, have we forgotten about the Sig239? I have this gun, and would not go back. For one thing, I can shoot reloads through it unlike the Glocks. I don't think you can get a better self defense gun for under 500 bucks anywhere. This gun is a tack driver, reliable, smooth, and looks pretty good. My second option if I were to buy, would be a Khar K40. The Kahr is the perfect carry size, and it is well made and accurate.

I would take a SIG P229 over any .40s&w...

But Glock .40s and HK USP .40s are worth a look. I would check out these three manufacturers and decide for myself.

Good luck.

------------------
SURE SHOT

Yes, Steyr has supposedly fixed their erratic ejection problem. I haven't got mine back from the shop yet, so can't say from personal experience yet.

re: Glock .40's. If you get a good KKM, Bar-sto, or Jarvis barrel, you don't have to worry about the infamous case failures that glocks are famous for. And these after market barrels still feed just fine.

Pete, at the last gun show I went to, I saw a Steyr M40 with a serial # in the 2700's
that had the visible brass scoring and dinging on the stop of the slide.

Guess they haven't fixed it yet.

Apparently, someone bought this gun new and shot it, experienced the erratic ejection and slide scoring/dinging problem and then promptly traded it in.

I heard, but have not confirmed, that anything under 3000 has the old style dingy ejector port :) For the patient ones, a fix is possible within two weeks if you can wait.

I'll be getting my 16xx m40 back next week and let you know how the updated version works.

cheers,
pete

I HAD a Glock 22, and had put close to $1000 in customizing and tweaking the thing. I was quite satisfied with it.

However, that all changed once I shot a USP 40, by HK. Out of the box the USP shot better, had less recoil, and fit better into my hand, and made me kick myself numerous times for investing the money I did into my Glock.

My Father has my Glock now; a Father's Day gift. He likes it and it still shoots well. He likes to shoot my USP a bit more . . .

As far as the .40S&W is concerned, there is not a better handgun out there than the HK USP40. There are many who will argue with me of course -- but I'm sure you knew that such would be the case in a gun forum =)

Glocks are scaled to fit the .40S&W. The USP was designed AROUND the .40S&W. Shoot each of them and you'll notice the difference as did I.

As far as concealment is concerned, a Blade-Tech SOB (Small-Of-the-Back) holster does very well. I have carried it in such a manner with only a polo shirt and a t-shirt underneath and no one had the slightest inkling that I was carrying.

John Coleman

I own both a USP40C and a Glock 23. I still prefer my USP40C, I just shoot it better(this does come down to personal taste, so Glock lovers you can chill). Recoil is better in the USP also even though the 23 has a lower bore axis. In a fullsize USP40 I imagine the recoil is even less.

------------------

for home defense and target in .40S&W? Sig P226...hands down. If u want something that easily carries concealed also, get the Sig P229....Dan in GA

Back