Best 40SW handgun for home defense/target shooting

thequickad

Most of us buys handgun for home defense and usually go to the in-door range to target practice. What is the best all around 40SW pistol for this dual purpose? Is it the SIG P229, Glock 23, HK USP, SW 4006, Walther P99 or Steyr M40? :D

Wassup quickie. I personally don't like the .40 cal. Long story. Anyway, they are basically the same size guns as the 9MM.
For BOTH I would have to say the Glock 27 or the HK USP 9 Compact. The others are a little too long in the butz for CC. THe USP may even stick out a little.
This opinion is also coming from someone who carry's in an IWB.
Hope it helps.

Glock Glock, heed the following: "Get rid of that Nickel Plated Sissy Pistol and get yourself a Glock" Tommy Lee Jones

Glock 22 or 23. Best bang for the buck. Reliable.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

STEYR M40. It costs about $75 more than a Glock, but it's well worth it.

Why:
Lowest bore axis; softer felt recoil.
Accurate.
5-point safety system, including a manual safty if you wish to use it.
Loaded round indicator.
About the same size as a Glock 23.
Very solid engineered design.
Shoots lead and SWC rounds perfectly.
Has a fully supported chamber -- very important in .40.
Excellent short, crisp, reset trigger system.

The HK USP is a really close second IMHO. I also really like the Sigpro, although it doesn't have a manual safety.

Bottom line, you might want to figure out what kind of trigger system you like.

Bottom line

------------------
Proud STEYR M SERIES PISTOL Owner
www.GSIfirearms.com
www.smg.steyr.com/english

Ruger P-94... best value for a good quality forty. It's somewhat big for CC, but it's a great gun.

Enjoy, and keep us informed,
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

I like my Cougar 8040,Feels good in the hand
and shoots well for me. I like the decocker.
Works for me.

------------------
gun control is people control

Para - ordanance = P-16 "limited" or thier "LDA" models are great weapons and shooters. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered as per your request.

I am surprised the Sig P-226 has not previously been recommended in this thread. It is a superb .40 S&W -- VERY accurate, safe, reliable, durable, and manufactured with the highest quality -- which easily converts to .357 Sig. It also fills many missions successfully: concealed carry, home/personal defense, target/range/plinking, competition, and so forth.

There is a very good reason so many TFL posts indicate "you can't go wrong with a Sig" and the P226 is among their best.

Get the Glock 23. It's accurate and as reliable as they come. The FBI uses it now because they put 200,000 rounds through one without a failure. Half the weight of a .45ACP Government Model with all the power and 13+1 rounds...mmmmmm.

Hmmmmm.... sounds un-trustworthy. Better drop a few extra hundred dollars on a USP....
[that's called sarcasm...not that HKs are anything to sneeze at]

This whining about needing "fully supported chambers" is just about pure b*******. Many *1911-style* handguns have partially unsupported chambers, and nobody worries about THEM exploding all the time. A number of kB!s have happened in HK USP .40 pistols, which *do* have fully supported chambers. kB's happen because of overpressure loads, specifically handloads and remanufactured ammunition.

If you are determined to be a moron and fire hand-loaded overpressure cast-lead bullets outta your gun then, sure, get a gun with a fully supported chamber to protect you from your own stupidity. Otherwise, base your purchase on something that matters.

---------
CastleBravo

Got a Glock 22. The damn thing hasn't jammed on me yet, and the accuracy is superb too.
My 0.02 cents...

[This message has been edited by Cowboy (edited December 11, 1999).]

It is hard to beat the Glock's because of the safety system, non-exposed hammer, and excellent reliability for immediate home defense. Aside from that I have a Taurus I have total faith in and stays by wife's bedside. I however would NEVER reccommend a S&W auto as I have personally witnessed too many failures to function. Sig, and H&K both make excellent autos but I personally felt the Walther/S&W 99 felt a little chincy. Aint shot the Styer yet but they have a good history. My $.02

It surprises me to see people "not recommend" the S&W autos. Aside from the Sigma line their othr semi's are pretty good gun. I own a S&W 909 and have total faith in it. This gun has around a thousand rounds thru it and I have never had a single hangup with it. I used it for my States Lethal Weapons certification and it functioned perfectly, even beat out a Sig and a Glock (not knocking eithr of them as I also own a Glock Model 22). Just saying I have never had a problem with their numbered series autos.

Consider a Beretta MD96. Mine is unbelievable reliable, has a supported chamber (something the glocks lack I believe) and is quite cheap.

Besides, look at all of the military who are using the 92, the 9mm version of the 96 and all of the INS (border patrol) using the 96. I am not sure, but I bet there is a reason that our Military and INS do not use glocks, but who knows.

Back