Best .40auto to get?

USP40, hands down. No contest. Only others worth considering (IMHO :)) are the Glock M27 and M23. Or the M29 if you want to super-size that .40. :)

- gabe

PS: Or I guess a Browning HighPower in .40 would be pretty cool to...in a retro kind of way.

I will be the oddball

Beretta 96G Brigadier Elite II

WHY?!?!

1) Dead accurate, target grade accuracy.
2) Massive Brigadier slide, recoils like a 9mm.
3) Match grade-like DA/SA trigger.
4) Unmatched reliability w/the biggest ejection port to be had.
5) The 2mm reduced grip makes a huge difference.
6) And... Just looks awesome compared to "plastic" pistols.:D

Seriously though, I also do recommend the USP40 & G23. Owned both and they're great guns. Also, the SigPro is a fantastic gun which every bit as good as the HK or Glock (if not better). JMHO, Bob.

One for each category.

Kahr MK-40 for sub sub compact.

Glock 27 for sub compact (and overall).

Glock 23 for compact.

Sig P229 Sport for full size.

The best VALUE in 40 cal? A Ruger P-94 or a CZ 40 cal. Save your money and get a good solid pistol to boot. Best, J. Parker

If you're looking for value in a .40, take a look at the Witness. Available in full size or compact, for about $279. Real steel frame, accurate, mild recoil, and good, SA trigger if you carry condition 1.

I'd really like a good 1911 style in .40, but thats a toy for another day (and paycheck).

Bri

Count my vote for the Glock 23.

I own and shoot the G19, whichis the same size but in 9mm. Love it. Does everything I ask it to so (concealable, and can easily hit paper plates at 50 yards) and THEN some. And a friend of mine has one that he's put well over 50,000 rounds through, and it's still ticking like day one.

I like them. :)

NEW:
Generally, Sig 229 will be about $550-600 in my area (maybe more)
Glock will be just under $500
CZ should be under $400
HK will be around the same $price$ as a Sig.
Ruger should be around $350. FWIW: the Ruger is about as "Solid" as you can get.
Another solid compact will be the Kahr K-40 (around $500)

FWIW: DAO's are usually cheaper if you don't mind their action.

Ben

HK USP for a fullsize pistol. You will be very happy.
Glock G27 for a sub-compact, add the finger extensions if you don't need to go very small. If you are looking at G23 size, USP compact.

Just IMO, the only way you can possibly go wrong is to not shoot what you're considering and end up not liking it when you finally commit. If not possible, at least hold them all to see how they feel in terms of girth, balance and pointability.

For me, it's HK in every respect except for CCW where I needed a little smaller. They make very fine pistols as evident by the recommendations. Good luck.

Prices....

In my area...

Sig 229->$695-$710

Glock 19->$510-$530

USP40-> I think in the mid 6's

CZ's->Low to mid 4's

All of them are pretty expensive....I think it comes down to what feels the best :)

Beretta

For a full size, IMO, you can't go wrong with a Beretta 96. I just bought a new Elite II which has some enhancements such as, Novak sights, beveled mag well, checkered front and back straps, recessed crown, etc. Plus I always loved two tone pistols. I've found Berettas to be of extremely high quality and, with their redesigned locking block, should last practically forever.

Ok what is the best 40auto to get?? Can either be a small carry pistol, or a full sized pistol. As long as it is a 40auto that is. Oh yeah nothing fancy, just a shooter.
<center>I guess I'll be the odd man out - why not a <b><font color=red>Taurus PT940?</font></b><br></center>
<center>
pt940bgr.gif
<br></center>
Mine is reliable and accurate. All steel, if that is what you like (I do). And - in my mind one of the best characteristics - the <i><u>option</u></i> to carry either hammer down DA or cocked and locked SA. They are available anywhere for about $340 for the blued version, the one in the pic is probably about $425. They also are available in stainless, and have a lifetime warranty.

Yeah, I like the PT-940 also... just forgot to mention it. That gold definately needs to be taken off though. Mine would just have to be the standard stainless version.

Ben

every 940 ive seen had a bad finish on it. Seems the finish was flaking off like cheap chrome spray paint. Maybe they have fixed that problem now. If so, not a bad buy.

Back