Best .22LR in my price range? $250 max.

Accuracy in 22lr is mostly ammunition. You can spend $1500 for an Anschuetz, you feed it Remington 555 and get 3" groups at 50. You buy a $250 Ruger 10/22 and get 1/2" groups with Eley Match.
I'd start with the 10/22, and keep upgrading when the money allows it. Volquartsen trigger group and a nice barrel, and you have one nice precision gun for $600, and still miles moneywise from the top brands.

I've had a couple of Rem 581s, but don't recall seeing any 582s.

The 581 magazines are crap today and the only one you can find for sale is the 10-rounder.

The new Ruger American .22LR is a pretty good rifle for the money, but Savage MK IIs have been very good.

You might find a CZ Trainer, especially used, within your budget.

Well...all good information and interesting but the original post is over 3 years old...they might have already made their decision.

I have thought about this thread a few times as I look through my safe. I have a good many .22LR's and when I think of this thread I came back to my Marlin 795 that I use for squirrel.

I paid $140 for it at Sportsmans Warehouse, Bought an extra mag for another $25, put a Boyds on it for another $100. Then I got crazy with it and added the DIP trigger guard and KAT trigger/action upgrade. So I'm at just under $400 for this rifle but it shoots so nice.

You don't need the stock but the trigger upgrade to the stock trigger guard would keep you well under your $250 mark, maybe even enough for a decent scope.

The 795 is basically a Marlin 60 but with a detachable mag instead of the tube mag, I'm not a fan of tube mags for hunting.

I own a 10/22 and I don't care for it. I love my RAR .22LR but the rifle alone is $270. I say the Marlin 60 or 795 is the most bang for the buck

1421976819.jpg

Savage MKII. I usually shoot mine at 100yds because at 50 yrds it is boringly accurate. The Accu trigger is a great feature on it once you get it adjusted to what you like. :)

Check out the Marlin Model 60 tube feed semi-auto. Savage Mark 1 or Mark II are also a great buy. Mark I is single shot, Mark II has a magazine load. Both are bolt action

Just to add something different to an old thread -- get an old rifle!

Mossberg US44 -- take an 75 year old rifle and give the new production guys a run for their money. It may take a little searching but they can be had for $250ish.

I've had a number of .22's in my life time, 1022s ,Winchester Mod.72
bolt action and a few others but my favorite is a Remington Mod. 572
pump gun , it's a 15 round tube mag and a blast to shoot. Its been in
my inventory for more than 50 years and still shoots like a dream.

....................... Jack

only one?

Well you know I just don't see how anyone could go threw life with but one 22 rifle. If I had to have just one the marlin 60 is a lot of quality for the money. But even then you know you want one with irons and one with a scope and one with a red dot and one with squirrels and for rainy days a stainless with plastic. Over time they just seem to happen for sure, buy a larger safe than you think you need

Old thread but still a valid topic. Where out of the box accuracy is the top priority, I lean toward CZ's and the Savage Mark II's. The Savage rifles are cheaper. That said, you can do real well with the basic Marlin Model 60. The ammunition choice is probably more important for consistent groups along with either being very comfortable with your trigger or improving the trigger.

The budget is the problem as everyone wants the most accurate 22 rifle they can lay their hands on. Tis why I moved to CZ's, the better Remington's, Weatherby, and Anshutz grade of rifles. My Savage Mark II American is actually an excellent shooter but it was no $150 rifle when it was new. If you want to use iron sights, the CZ 452/455 Trainer is a good choice and cost effective.

Another vote for the marlin 60. I have a cheap scope on mine and it's extremely accurate out to 100 yards. It's almost boring to shoot on the bench since it's almost impossible to miss.

Back