Best .22LR in my price range? $250 max.

As a huge 10/22 fan, you can't go wrong with a Savage. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, but Savage has a well earned reputation as an out of the box drop dead accurate rifle maker.

A Ruger 10/22 with a Volquartsen replacement hammer will come in well below $250, and you'll have a sweet-shooting .22LR.

The Savage and the Ruger 10/22 are both great rifles in your price range. I would shoot them both and anything else you may be interested in, then go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.

The 1022 is accurate and has IMO a best in class "after market" for accessories. Nothing else can touch the 1022

That aside, Make sure you give the Marlins a good look. My favorite 22 is my new Marlin 795 (semi-auto). Lazer accuracy. I cant seem to put this little rifle down.

But if rate of fire is not required, find a nice bolt action. You will have less misfires with a bolt action IME.

marlin model 60 tube fed semi with the micro groove barrel has proved to be far more accurate than i could ever shoot. only way i could tame the accuracy was a bench rest then u really get a chance to see what it is capable of. i laugh when people say 10/22 about all the 10/22 has going for it is aftermarket support and reliability id put my stock model 60 up against ANY stock 10/22 and half of the aftermarket barrel models and the model 60 is cheaper

I haven't compared many, but my bolt action Marlin is way more accurate then my friends 10/22. It's not even close actually. Both bone stock.

The one I have is the "F", not the "FV". Not sure what the difference is.

The "V" is for a heavier "varmint" contour barrel. Not necessary for "paramount" accuracy, but I liked the extra weight up front. Either one would work.

I knew there would be a disturbance in the Force when I said Savage MK II instead of Ruger 10/22. Now I believe every home, truck, and tent in the world should have a 10/22 in it, but when the OP said this....

I say recreational but it can get pretty competitive so ACCURACY is paramount.

....I had to recommend the Savage. As much as I hate to sound like a Savage fanboi, it really was as simple as 1) take rifle out of box, 2) run a couple solvent soaked patches down the barrel, 3) adjust AccuTrigger down to 2 1/2 lbs, and 4) start driving tacks.

Sorry guys I have two 10/22s and love them dearly, but no way could I have done the above with them. They shoot great now, after I spent 150 bucks for barrels, 100 for stocks, spent a couple hours on triggers, and a couple hours pillar bedding them. That's per rifle.

I mean come on guys, the OP is trying to win a beer at the hunting camp. Later on when he gets bored with winning all the beer, THEN we can talk him into a 10/22 and convince him to spend as much on parts as he did on the rifle....:D

Marlin 795 often on sale for $125

That leaves room in the budget for great optics or Tech Sights (an awesome aftermarket aperture sight).

+1 on the Mark II, though depending on where it might run you silghtly over 250.

Its accuracy is much higher than anything out of the box until you come close to doubling the price.

No shout-outs for the Marlin 795? My favorite 22. After the rebate you can pick them up for as little as 125$. Also dig my old Glenfield/Marlin 60 and an old Savage Model 6 my uncle gave me. Just can't seem to get behind the 10/22... Dig the Archangel stock for the 10/22 though. Looking forward to putting one of those together.

shop around for a used Remington 550-1, that rifle will shoot every .22 round from the CB to LRHV.., AND all mixed in the tube, i sure wish i would have had one of those rifles when i was a kid !
099.jpg

No shout-outs for the Marlin 795? My favorite 22. After the rebate you can pick them up for as little as 125$. Also dig my old Glenfield/Marlin 60 and an old Savage Model 6 my uncle gave me. Just can't seem to get behind the 10/22... Dig the Archangel stock for the 10/22 though. Looking forward to putting one of those together.
The 795 always gets overlooked. I learned how to shoot on my dads 1022. The 795 ia very simular to the 1022 but IMO is a bit more accurate. And about $100 to $150 cheaper. I love my 795. It shoots better than any rifle ive ever shot. My holes touch at 100 yards every time. benched of corse

Last edited:
Marlin 795

I have a 795, and I couldn't be happier. Very accurate, and I picked it up brand new for $100 (pre-Christmas sale and mail-in factory rebate).

I almost got the Remmington 597 because it is built bigger, and I am a big guy, but she who must be kept happy was just in love with the price on the Marlin... turned out pretty well, though - my 795 is a good shooter.

+ 1 on droptrd's post.

I Bought a 795 this past year and added tech sights - wow! What a sweet shooting little gun! It's my new favorite and super dependable. I've got a lot of rounds through it in a short time and not one malfunction so far. I also own 2 - 10/22's, one scoped, one not, a Savage Mark II, a Marlin Model 60, and a Nylon 66 purchased 44 years ago for $49.00.

The 795, 60 and Mark II are all very accurate, as I am the limiting factor in that regard. The Nylon is a kick to shoot. The 10/22's I like, but out of this group they seldom seem to be my choice when I grab a few guns to go shoot. They're not tricked out, but my thing is getting a gun that works and works well when taken care of.

Reliability: So far the 795 has had zero issues, next is my Nylon - super dependable and shoots anything. The others have had issues with certain ammo, including the bolt action Savage. People often complain about Remington ammo, but my worst experiences have been with Winchester bulk and Wildcats.

Any of the guns suggested previously will probably make you happy. I've had my eye on a Reminton 597 for a few years now, and then there's the CZ's that keep giving me the eye.......

Back