Beretta PX4 Storm?

Prof Young

Shooters:

LGS/range has new Beretta PX4 Storm at $439. I find myself strangely attracted to it. Have looked at some on line reviews.

Would love to hear from those who own or have shot one.

Prof Young

Pick it up!!! That cam lock barrel system makes recoil extra manageable. Soft shooter, especially in full size. Mag capacity is good, all the fire controls are oversized and easy to use. Decocker for DA first shot after loading. Hammer fired.

I liked it when I shot it. I am trying to find one in 45 ACP!!

Short story long…. BUY IT!

If it feels good in your hand and you like how it looks, go for it.

The one I have is a good shooter and my wife says the recoil is softer than other guns of about the same size & weight.

I had a full-size model in 40SW. It was reliable and shot well. For a number of people they find the recoil less than with other models. For me it felt different, but I’m not sure it felt less. Regardless I wouldn’t mind owning one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had one in .40. Utterly reliable, soft recoil as others have noted. Not a fan of Beretta DA/SA safety/decocker setup but have tinges of regret about selling this one.

The PX4 is an excellent pistol with Beretta's typical build quality and $439 is a great price. After I bought and shot my PX4, my reaction was wondering why I didn't get one 15 years earlier.

It was mentioned either here or elsewhere that DA/SA semi autos are likely going to be dropped soon in favor of striker sensations. While Beretta has been a big proponent of DA/SA, I don't see them continuing the Px4 much longer as their is regrettably little to no consumer interest in the DA/SA system.

Amazing how 30-40 years ago the DA/SA pistol was highly regarded and now it's considered obsolete. Over the past year or so I've become enamored by the DA/SA and have plans to acquire either a Ruger P series or Taurus or Beretta 92.

At under $500, they're good guns for the money, just don't get the subcompact that lacks the rotary barrel system.

If to fits your hand you cannot go wrong. I've got on in 9mm, and two in .45 ACP, one DA/SA the other is DA only. Beretta puts the mags on sale several times a year and they have a competition trigger assembly that is an improvement and also often on sale.

TruthTellers said:
It was mentioned either here or elsewhere that DA/SA semi autos are likely going to be dropped soon in favor of striker sensations. While Beretta has been a big proponent of DA/SA, I don't see them continuing the Px4 much longer as their is regrettably little to no consumer interest in the DA/SA system.

Amazing how 30-40 years ago the DA/SA pistol was highly regarded and now it's considered obsolete. Over the past year or so I've become enamored by the DA/SA and have plans to acquire either a Ruger P series or Taurus or Beretta 92.

Everyone does not share the opinion that DA/SA pistols are obsolete. Indeed, many people are stepping back from the love affair with striker-fired pistols for simply having a low training threshold.

Ernest Langdon in "Beretta PX4 Storm - Underrated is an Understatement!" said:
I have set several personal shooting records for myself on several of my standard drills and I have to say that I am very impressed with this gun and a little annoyed with myself for not giving it a shot sooner.

I am actually surprised this gun isn’t more popular – why have I just ‘discovered’ it?. I would guess that it may be the fact that it arrived about the same time DA/SA guns started to lose favor and striker fired pistols became the go-to-gun.

At this point, I believe that DA/SA guns are making a major comeback in the tactical shooting world and the PX4 platform brings a lot to the table.

Truthtellers-if you're looking at a Taurus 92 you might also look at the Taurus 99 (but I think they discontinued the 99-I don't see it on their web page.)

The 99 has adjustable sights and a friend told me it's much easier to take out the firing pin block assembly on the 99. It's under the rear sight and on the 92 you'd have to drift out the rear sight to get at it.

This is second hand rumor so check it out with someone that owns one if you're interested. Also, taking out the firing pin block isn't something you'd need to do for ordinary cleaning.

Another 'also' is some folk don't care for adjustable sights and I respect that although I like them myself.

Last time I saw a Taurus 99 was used, but in very good condition, at a Cabela's it was $400...this was a couple years ago. Kind of wish I would have got it.

Everyone does not share the opinion that DA/SA pistols are obsolete. Indeed, many people are stepping back from the love affair with striker-fired pistols for simply having a low training threshold.

Quoting Ernest Langdon with respect to the future of DA/SA pistols on the US market isn’t exactly choosing an unbiased source. Besides being a proponent of the system personally, Langdon’s business in no small part revolves around modifications and parts for Beretta pistols, largely the 92 series, but the PX4 as well. Langdon even collaborated with Beretta on a version of the PX4 that can still be found today (the Compact Carry), both at stocking Beretta dealers and through his own store.

For years I shot DA/SA pistols. I still like them. However, I’m realistic when I acknowledge that even back then I could see the market turning. SIG, Beretta, HK, were all proponents of hammer fired systems with their own DAO modifications marketed towards law enforcement and DA/SA variants. They all have come out with striker fired pistols because of market trends. Even Langdon himself has started offering striker fired pistols with customizations from his ship for both Glocks and the Springfield Armory Hellcat.

Liking something that isn’t popular isn’t a bad thing. Despite the PX4 not being a particularly huge success for Beretta it is still a nice pistol. At some point though we have to be careful of letting our own preferences cloud our perceptions. That said I’m willing to eat my words if in 5 years we’re in the middle of a DA/SA Renaissance (and I won’t be sad about it either).

The PX4 is fantastic. It is indeed a soft shooter in 9mm. It was actually designed for .40 S&W and is one of the more comfortable shooters in that caliber too.

My only complaint is the bat wing safety levers. They are responsible for the gun feeling wider than it actually is. Luckily, Beretta makes a low-profile kit. You can swap out for flush-fitting levers. This conversion also changes to decocker-only and that's a good thing.

DA/SA is an excellent choice for EDC. The heavier initial trigger pull acts as a safety so any manual safety is superfluous. You also get a decently crisp SA follow-up. I prefer that feel for regular shooting versus standard striker triggers. Another benefit that may be of special interest to AIWB guys is positive trigger feedback from the hammer while reholstering.

Had a .45 and 9mm PX4… sold both.

They are great shooters. The .45 feels like a 9mm. Beretta did a great job keeping the .45 grip down by doing the 9 round magazine. Mine were both factory F guns, and converted to G. The .45 was done with Stealth controls… which are nice, but best they are decock only.

You’ll eventually get someone that will come in and say X agency needed to use a mallet to disassemble them. Not my experience. And it wasn’t the experience of the few agencies I’ve dealt with that carried them. Grease the lock work and done… or get it nickel boron plated (I did on both of mine).

I got rid of mine because my agency went to Glocks… specifically the 19 Gen 5 MOS. So, why have two guns that I will likely not carry? The .45 was traded when I got my 30S, which also was sold (liked it, but might as well carry my duty gun if I’m carrying something that large).

Have a 9mm CX4, which I had setup to take PX4 magazines. Converted it back to 92 magazines when I sold the other PX4, to pair back to my 92 Brigadier Inox. I kept my CZ SP-01 as a hammer fired gun… and do want to grab a Springfield Hi-Power.

But sort of moved to 9mm Glocks for the magazine compatibility. My 19 magazines fit in my 9mm AR pistol… and those magazines fit in both my duty gun and P80 (retro one, not Polymer 80).

I want to get a 34… or at least a Gen 3 slide for some more options with the P80 frame. But also want one of those LWD frames that take a full size slide, but compact magazines. Probably will also get a 26 Gen 5 at some point… to complete most of the family tree (don’t want a 17L… too long).

On the topic of hammer/striker…there are still plenty of hammer fired guns out. H&K, traditional SIGs… hell, didn’t Springfield do a hammer fired XD? Is that still a thing? And of course who wouldn’t say 1911?

Striker fired is definitely the driving force in pistols, mainly due to cost, ease of manufacture, and how simple they are to train on (think of the push to DAO and those LEM triggers in LE years back… which I had a H&K P2000 LEM for the first year with my current job). It’s not a new system… look back at early Colts and even the Luger. But there are plenty of people who rather have their thumb over the hammer of a DA/SA pistol when holstering to confirm they aren’t going to have a bunched up shirt give them a ND.

TunnelRat said:
Quoting Ernest Langdon with respect to the future of DA/SA pistols on the US market isn’t exactly choosing an unbiased source.

Langdon is most certainly biased. He has demonstrated the continuing utility of DA/SA pistols by using them to win multiple national and world championships. And he puts his own money and financial future on the line in a business primarily focused on DA/SA pistols. I have no use for so-called unbiased commentators who have no skin in the game.

TunnelRat said:
For years I shot DA/SA pistols. I still like them. However, I’m realistic when I acknowledge that even back then I could see the market turning.

The market is always changing, forever seeking the impossibility of a gun that is totally safe to carry and operate, requires little or no training and practice, and produces fast, accurate results when shot by even casual users. Striker-fired designs have dominated the market for more than three decades largely because they minimized training and practice to achieve acceptable results. While DA/SA, DAO, or SAO designs will not dominate the market, they are far from obsolete as some suggest and continuing development will result in them recapturing some part of the striker-fired market.

For the record I never personally said DA/SA, DAO, or SAO are obsolete. Again, I like the designs.

As for them recapturing market, I think that’s true to an extent with the growing popularity of appendix carry (as was mentioned above). However, I will honestly be surprised if we see a new model of a DA/SA production pistol in the next few years.

I really like the Px4 compact. It has become my primary carry pistol for over 4 years. Mine is a decocker only, and in this configuration I don’t care that the levers are on the slide.

Overall size is similar to a Glock 19.

Close to 4K rounds through my compact with no problems.

Popped on the PX4

I popped on the PX4. I can pick it up Thursday. Looking forward to shooting it. I suspect it may become part of my carry gun rotation. (Yeah, I know you are supposed to have one carry gun so you don't have to think about it if worst case scenario develops.)

Prof Young

Back