Beretta Nano, issues FTE 350 rounds in

Just because one person has no issues with a firearm doesn't mean it's not possible to have issues. Sample sizes of one aren't very meaningful. There's a typical reaction on these kind of threads to respond, "But mine never did that!" That's great, but that says nothing about if it can happen. If we get enough people to sound off then maybe we can get some idea of the frequency with which it happens, but even then it doesn't mean there can't be a problem. At some point all of the counter examples in the world can start appearing like fanboyism. I've owned idk how many pistols now. I've had issues with plenty and I can guarantee there were those out there that never had an issue and thought I was crazy or plain making things up (in fact it happened multiple times).

To me the OP did the right thing. He tried some problem solving options and when that didn't work he sent it off to Beretta. Warranties exist for a reason. Let's see what Beretta says.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, TunnelRat, any gun made can have a issue. I agree.I was not implying that a Nano cannot, only that I have not had the issue. Yes, I am a fanboy. but that should not be a issue. Just pointing out some facts.
Here is a very interesting video on Limpwristing with a Glock. And again, I do believe Limpwristing can happen to any gun. The Nano does have a heavy recoil spring and he has a heavy receiver. Take a new shooter and other factors may make a perfect storm.
I remember at the range one day a guy cursing a Ruger SR9C for failures. I own one, asked if I could shoot it and no problem. His issue, was the fact that he was riding the slide. I believe there are many issues reported about all guns that in many cases are simply user error. Even complaints on some guns like accuracy etc.
Check out the video. It is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4

Last edited:
I watched the video when it came out years ago. Absolutely you can have shooter induced malfunctions. And you can also have malfunctions from mechanical problems (that may be exacerbated by shooter technique). Again, seems like waiting for what Beretta says is the best bet.

There are of course two school of thought. One send it back, or two, spend some time with the gun and find out the cause. I am not saying one is right over the other, only that I choose to try and find out myself. If the problem does continue, I will send it in. I had a Pico for instance that was giving me a problem. Was about to send it in, when it dawned on me that I had recently changed the modular grip. Sure enough I had seated it wrong when changing the grip. User error, easy fix.
Each to his own.

Everyone's time is limited to an extent. Spending time can turn into wasting time. The OP tried different ammo and inspected and cleaned the firearm. To me that's a modest effort. Some people like to or want to spend more time. Certainly their call, but I've also seen many shooters never hold manufacturers responsible and never send malfunctioning pistols in. Again, warranties do exist for a reason.

Thing is, the OP already sent the pistol in. Now he and we wait.

psantos, it should not take long for your gun to come back. I know you will report back, looking forward to what Beretta did. Either post or send me a email. Thanks
Good luck my friend.

H Carl:

Yes just got a letter from Beretta, they did say IF under warranty, if would be covered, if not they will outline cost for repairs

I bought it about 13 months ago, I believe.

I would not be happy with a bill :rolleyes:

I will keep you posted on the fix

Thanks again!

Paul

Yes I figured I did enough, exhausting my amateur gunsmith skills, anymore would probably the warranty.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Paul

FYI, the Nano is NOT prone to limp wristing.

I never said it was-which isn't to say it isn't. I made it clear that I have "no experience with the Nano". No need to get defensive about it.

the problems I've read/hear about with the Nano are always the same ones, no matter what source. not promising. its very similar to those I would hear about the G36 when it was vogue to have one.

the problems I've read/hear about with the Nano are always the same ones, no matter what source. not promising. its very similar to those I would hear about the G36 when it was vogue to have one.

Lol, ya got to love the internet. Especially from posters that know nothing about a particular firearm, never shot one or owned one
Same kind of comments that were made against the Beretta Pico, another fine Beretta product.

psantos, I would not pay attention to these kind of post. The Nano has very few problems. No more than any fine gun. By the way, I think you are going to really like the modular design. The Nano has few parts, and very easy to work on. When mine hit 10,000 rds. I broke it completely down and examined every part. I was surprised how easy it was to work on.
I also have a lot of pics comparing the Nano to other guns. The Robust build quality is obvious. Once you get our Nano up and running. I can promise you that you will love it. And a VERY dependable Beretta Product.

There's a lot of documented posts that the early production Nanos had cycling issues, and it seems that for most situations the heavier ammo solved the problem, however there's always the guys whom immediately scream "junk gun" and trash talk. Guns are guns, some are not fussy with ammo some are. I'm happy to report my Nano is a perfect and reliable fit for my needs. Yes, it's a bit heavy and the trigger is not a "crisp target trigger". Added weight = smoother absorbed recoil cycling. I have no interest in a modifying the trigger as that opens up yourself to a huge liability in the event you need to use your weapon in self defense. I've learned how my Nano functions, I shoot it well enough to easily draw from concealment and cease a threat if necessary.

There's a lot of documented posts that the early production Nanos had cycling issues, and it seems that for most situations the heavier ammo solved the problem, however there's always the guys whom immediately scream "junk gun" and trash talk. Guns are guns, some are not fussy with ammo some are. I'm happy to report my Nano is a perfect and reliable fit for my needs. Yes, it's a bit heavy and the trigger is not a "crisp target trigger". Added weight = smoother absorbed recoil cycling. I have no interest in a modifying the trigger as that opens up yourself to a huge liability in the event you need to use your weapon in self defense. I've learned how my Nano functions, I shoot it well enough to easily draw from concealment and cease a threat if necessary.
Well said Road Clam. And this kind of bashing seems to be getting worse all the time on the internet. And there is the snowball effect. A internet poster hears a comment about a particular firearm and now he becomes a expert on the gun. He will then Parrot the same thing he heard and over and over. Take one gun which may or may not have a issue and some guy post about it, perhaps seeking help, and they before you know it, that one problem is now 10,000,
Before I owned the Nano for instance, (I own a number of Micro 9mm') I spent over 6 months shooting as many as I could. I belong to a club with some tight memebers and we share a lot of gun.
Here is the thing. Every gun I shot was a nice gun. Yes, I preferred some over the other for various reasons, and even had a few failures, which was not a big deal.
I had read some of the nonsense on the Net well before I bought the Nano, but did not pay any attention. On the first day of the arrival, of the gun, I took it to the range and shot about 200 rounds of 115gr ammo from a variety of manufacuters. I thought for sure that according to the net, I would have failures. Well there were none. Same with the other two I purchased.

Now take the Sig 365. On another forum this gun was taking a beating from a lot of posters, most especially Glock owner's. A whole lot of Bias, prejudice and just plain ole bashing.
Well, at my club we took the 365 and 1,000 rds of ammo. We all took turns shooting a comparing. The gun shot great, there were no problems. Now some of did not like the Fit for their personal hand, but that was really subjective. Not the gun. I posted many times of the very nice 365. And I always took up for the gun, even though it was not a perfect fit for myself. And I took a lot of heat from some posters for my post. Especially from owners of one Manufacturer. You, know, the one that never fails not matter what.

The OP simply asked for help. And it turned South by posters that just have nothing better to do than hang out on the Net all day.

The Sig is a great gun, the Nano, The Glock, The Kahr and on and on. You just have to take a gun out, shoot it and spend time with one before you purchase or listen to internet posters. And take the bashing of any gun with a LARGE grain of salt. It is what it is.
Thanks for posting.

LOL, I try to not listen to the fanboys, or haters.

They are all mass produced items, any thing can fail

I dont mind sending it back to Beretta if they make it right

If I paid $3,500 for an Ed Brown 1911, I would not be happy. :mad:

I can break an anvil, so im not surprised.

I do actually like the trigger, I dont like light triggers for small guns.

I actually like the Kahr P-9 very much, the Nano is even smaller.

I have a Taurus 709 Slim that has been very reliable, I dont talk about it much. For obvious reasons :)

Very mature attitude. Good to hear you're not discouraged by the thread turning "south". Let us know how it goes.

I laugh at the guys that "demand" the perfect out of the box mass produced firearm, and for cheap. Ive had issues with several of my new purchased guns. My Vector 9mm Uzi was the worst as far as multiple issues. Took me 8 months of waiting for a warranty return to make my Uzi run as it should. My Desert Eagle 44 mag is another, and Kahr customer service is poor. Had issues with unwanted mag drops from my Sig p238, and another warranty claim and now it runs as it should. Sig has excellent CS. I have an issue with my Burris F Class scope and Burris CS just totally blew me off with stupid emails so they get an "F" in my book. So in my house ive had to deal with expensive items that didnt work as they should, but i simply worked through the problems. Some solved some not. Im not going to jump out a window.

My carry gun, but . . .

The Nano was my first carry gun. Sights fell off first time at the range. In spite of being clean it had multiple FTE and a few FTF. Sent it in for repair, then sold it off. Not a great gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young

My dad was an engineer, I am fairly mechanically inclined, and familiar with the manufacturing process.

One of my friends manages a huge metal manufacturing facility, Its interesting to watch how parts are made.

QC is expensive, if it was a custom made item, like Ed Brown or Wilson, I would not be happy

The Nano costs me about 250 new, so not an issue

I do expect customer service, I did have an Issue with a Sprinfield Milspec 1911 once, outstanding customer service, they replaced the extractor and give me a new upgraded barrel.

I actually snapped a Glock frame pin in half once, shooting +p+ ammo, I just got a new one. Use Standard velocity from now on (Glock 19)

We shall see. :)

I too work in precision manufacturing. In this cut throat age of mfg the mentality is "give it a quick QC, and ship it out". "If the customer has an issue we will deal with it AFTER the fact". Ive had to deal with a lot of varied customer services. Some outstanding, some just "ok" some just plain out insult my intelligence and suck horribly. And im talking about cut and dry mechanical issues, not a situation as "my gun has a bad scratch on it" type complaints. Hopefull the O/P reports back with a sucess experience from Beretta.

Back