Beretta Nano, issues FTE 350 rounds in

psantos

Starting to get disappointed, Nano about a year old

Have run about 350 rounds through it, UMC, Federal and CCI, get consistent FTE. All 115 grain though.

I just bought a case of 124 grain, will try it

Polished feed ramp and extractor.

IMHO should be broken in by now.

I have a few small auto's never had an issue.

My Walther PPS seems like a much better gun, amazingly accurate and reliable.

Could you be limp wristing? I have one that is going to hit over 10,000 rounds next weekend and runs great and two others that I just recently bought and run flawless with any ammo. If you have a problem, contact Beretta and they will take care of you.

Beretta recoil springs are strong. If you start off shooting light loads might be issue. Gallaway makes a 14lb recoil guide rod and spring. The standard is 16lb. Just curious, are you shooting WWB?

Last edited:
Some WWB-Nato ammo but also Federal and UMC,

I have strong hands, dont have a problem with grip. Only small auto I have a problem with.

Even my Taurus 709 is more reliable. PPS, Shield, Kahr P-9 all 100%

Will try some 124 grain. Thanks for reply!

I had the same issues with my Nano shooting 115 gr ammo. My Nano shoots 100% reliable with some stout 124 gr ammo. Make sure your extractor claw is completely clean. I let my extractor get dirty and i started having problems. Maybe a new extractor claw spring will help.

124 Gr should be arriving shortly- Geco ammo, which is loaded on the warm side.

I actually removed the extractor, cleaned and lubed.

Hopefully the 124 gr is the fix.

I am not in anyway trying to offend you, but I would bet that you may be limp wristing the gun. There is more to limp wristing than just a strong grip. The Nano is a very robust built firearm, the slide in a few ounces heavier that some others and it has strong recoil springs. I shoot this gun often and know it very well. Proper technique will prevent any standard 115gr loads from failure to extract. I doubt there is anything wrong with the gun. And of course the gun is a DAO.

There is a lady at our club that loves the Nano and is one heck of a shot with it. When she first started she had a few issues with limp wristing but after getting the technique down with the the gun, she can shoot the heck out of it. In fact, since she started shooting it, a number of other lady's have gone on to get the Nano. It is a small Micro 9mm. One of the smallest, but a heave receiver. When, new many feel the gun is top heavy, until the get use to it.
I am not implying that you have a weak grip. In fact the Nano does not require a strong grip. Just a good firm grip and good technique and familiarity with the Pistol
Unfortunately I can't show you by just writing on a post. But for starters, I would let someone else shoot the gun.
You only have three hundred rounds through the gun. I would say, spend some more time with it. I shoot all kinds of ammo through mine. A lot of Remington 115gr in the bucket. It is a very, very mild shooting gun and handles plus P better than some handle standard ammo. I actually prefer hotter ammo as the gun seems to do so will with it.
Again, spend some more time with the gun. A little investment will reap some huge rewards.

Last edited:
Not offended at all, its good advice

I was always of the opinion that if a gun is prone to failure with limp wristing, I wouldnt carry it as a SD gun

I was attacked by a huge German shepard once, Hy hands were busy, If I had a gun it would have been one handed only.

By luck I grabbed both sides of its collar, as it tried to rip my face off.

Luckily the owner started screaming at him, he obeyed.

I suspect many SD situations, would be similiar.

Will keep trying with the 124 grain.

Thanks for posting.

I do have a few small nines, never a problem, have fired one handed waist level no issues.

Not offended at all, its good advice

I was always of the opinion that if a gun is prone to failure with limp wristing, I wouldnt carry it as a SD gun

I was attacked by a huge German shepard once, Hy hands were busy, If I had a gun it would have been one handed only.

By luck I grabbed both sides of its collar, as it tried to rip my face off.

Luckily the owner started screaming at him, he obeyed.

I suspect many SD situations, would be similiar.

Will keep trying with the 124 grain.

Thanks for posting.

I do have a few small nines, never a problem, have fired one handed waist level no issues.
psantos, later on let me know how things are working out. You can email me if you like.

FYI, the new model of the Nano, the APX came out a few months back. The new grip does fit the Nano. I have one coming in this week just to try out. That maybe something for you to look into. $35.00 for the APX grip.

o0bsqzG.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Carl

Thats very interesting, it looks like the Bore access is lower, with the new grip.

Let me know what you think. I heard the internals were different on the APX.

Will the mags fix? It looks like the rear section is extended down from the mag well?

Everything fits including the Mags. there is a little change of the internals but hardly noticeable. I personally do not like the squared off trigger guard and friends tell me that their Nano holsters to not fit. Some say they like the new grip better, it has a longer beaver tail as well.
I will get back to ya.

Last edited:
Finally made it. Had hopes of putting 10,000 rounds through the Nano by the end of summer, but was a little late. Finally made it this weekend. Terrific little gun. Broke it down to inspect all parts and everything was fine. The Sub chassis was very dirty and the grip area was filthy. Ran them through the sonic cleaner and ready to go another 10,000 rds.
The new APX grip came in, went to replace it and lost the slice lock spring. Somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle of Springs. Even had my metal detector out to look for it.

I will shoot the new Grip for at least a thousand rounds to do a fair comparison. I really do no like the way the did the trigger guard. But looking forward to see how the new grip will shoot. In the past two months I bought two more Nano's. Because the new model is out, I was able to get the Grey grip in the Nano for $265.00 on sale. Heck of a deal for a gun so will made.

Thank goodness for Target Sports Club. The $99.00 membership fee paid for itself a long time ago. So nice to have ammo at wholesale prices delivered right to my door. Even if I just want 1 box of ammo, it is free shipping.

u43d6Qo.jpg
dmM2Ilx.jpg

Hi Carl;

Thats great, if you get a chance, some pics with the mag inserted with the new grips would be nice

The new grips look a bit shorter?

I did get a case of Geco 124 gr, same problem!

Its actually on its way
back to Beretta.

After 400 rds, I wanted to have them take a look.

The WWB Nato seemed hotter than the Geco, didnt work either.

So sad, I got a pair of Talon grips on it, I actually like the gun, Id like to replace my J frame as a pocket gun.

Will keep you posted!

Thanks for your thoughts

Paul

psantos, If there is something wrong with the gun they will take very good care of you. I bet you get it back with a few days delivered right to your door. I will get some pics posted later. There really is not much difference in the Nano vs Carry. The grip is the same size with a more pronounced beaver tail. and the back strap extends down a little further.
Let me know when you get your Nano back.

I share your opinion-strongly. Personally, I want no part of any semi-auto pistol for use in self-defense that is sensitive to "limp-wristing". As you point out, there are a lot of self-defense scenarios that preclude establishing the perfect grip, from a hand that is sweaty, bloody or injured to tussling with a big dog.

I have no experience with the Nano. I do have a friend who loves his Glock Model 19 but concedes that his pistol is prone to jamming if his grip is compromised. In terms of smallish semi-auto pistols, I have found two that seem immune to malfunctioning no matter how they are gripped (within practical reason): in .380 caliber, the Ruger LCP; in 9mm caliber, the "third generation" Smith & Wesson Model 6906.

As a post script, it's a good bet that some shooters will report having "limp-wristing" problems with even the pistols that I've had such good luck with. And, finally, I suspect a lot of "fanboys" blame malfunction problems that they are experiencing with their favorite pistols on limp-wristing when the cause has more to do with the pistol itself (dirty or out-of-spec extractors for instance) or the magazine (dirty or weak springs for example).

Last edited:
I share your opinion-strongly. Personally, I want no part of any semi-auto pistol for use in self-defense that is sensitive to "limp-wristing". As you point out, there are a lot of self-defense scenarios that preclude establishing the perfect grip, from a hand that is sweaty, bloody or injured to tussling with a big dog.

I have no experience with the Nano. I do have a friend who loves his Glock Model 19 but concedes that his pistol is prone to jamming if his grip is compromised. In terms of smallish semi-auto pistols, I have found two that seem immune to malfunctioning no matter how they are gripped (within practical reason): in .380 caliber, the Ruger LCR; in 9mm caliber, the "third generation" Smith & Wesson Model 6906.

As a post script, it's a good bet that some shooters will report having "limp-wristing" problems with even the pistols that I've had such good luck with. And, finally, I suspect a lot of "fanboys" blame malfunction problems that they are experiencing with their favorite pistols on limp-wristing when the cause has more to do with the pistol itself (dirty or out-of-spec extractors for instance) or the magazine (dirty or weak springs for example).
I think you mean the Ruger LCP. If someone managed to get an LCR to jam through limpwristing that would be something to see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Finally got to the range today and shot 300 rounds through both grips. Personally at this point actually like the Nano grip better, but plan on shooting some more. Right now, not a fan of the square grip. Others say they like the more pronouned beaver tail, but wish Beretta had left the front of the forward end of the trigger quard alone.

I still like the Nano grip better, but you have to remember I have a lot of rounds through the Nano and just use to it.

Below, Nano with APX carry Grip Grip-right- standard Nano

sah6OpU.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if it will help your dislike for the grip, but I fit my Nano with the rubber Talon adhesive grip. I love the perfect compramise from the Talon's as far as comfortable traction , without feeling "sticky".

I have no experience with the Nano. I do have a friend who loves his Glock Model 19 but concedes that his pistol is prone to jamming if his grip is compromised. In terms of smallish semi-auto pistols, I have found two that seem immune to malfunctioning no matter how they are gripped (within practical reason): in .380 caliber, the Ruger LCR; in 9mm caliber, the "third generation" Smith & Wesson Model 6906.

FYI, the Nano is NOT prone to limp wristing. Just trying to find out why the OP is having a issue. I think Limp wristing is possible with any gun under certain circumstances that are combined with other factors like new strong recoil springs which the Nano has especially when new. I am just taking a wild guess at the cause of his issues.
The Op only has three hundred rounds through the gun. As I mentioned, I now have 10,000 rds and never limp wristed the gun nor any of my friends that have shot it, including some younger shooters.
By the way, Massad Ayoob did a complete review of the gun and went and talked to Beretta. They had tested the gun with all sizes of hands etc. all kinds of ammo etc. and no limp wristing problems nor any mechinal issues with all kinds of ammo. I am not saying the OP is doing this. At this point, I have no idea what his issue is. I would like to shoot his gun, but that is not possible.
I do, however have no doubt he issue can be resolved very easily. Even if it does require a trip to Beretta.
Yes, I did meet a lady that was new to shooting that had a new gun and very little experience. Her corrected form helped her. What actually was causing her issue, again is only a guess. Regardless, she went on to shoot the gun just fine.

Last edited:
Back