Bass Pro, Cabela's & Firearms

Dude comes in with female companion. He wants a pump shotgun. That's because (he sez) the racking will scare away the BGs. He also asks for some blanks if the ranking doesn't work. The clerk suggests rubber buckshot. I opine that they aren't up on shooting issues. Stares of hate are the result.

I always wondered what people would do when racking Ole Betsy didn't scare the bad guy away. I always thought it was racking the slide a second time. Now I know, rubber bucket shot....

:rolleyes:

Although in the clerk's defense rubber duck is still better than quaking blanks...

Scheels is all we really had besides Holiday gas station and some hardware stores when and were I grew up to get hunting stuff.

I had a chance to see a Cabelas this week at a family gathering in Arizona.
I have been to 4 BPs but I went to the BP in Mesa AZ. They are about 25 minutes apart. My take away.
Cabelas was better staffed than BP. Friendlier it seemed too. More product is out on the aisles compared to BP. .22 was out in a good supply and no hoarders were there scooping it up by the armload. BP keeps their .22 behind the counter and didn't seem to have any.
Cabelas has C&R ammo for a very decent price. Prvi ammo for $14.44. I bought 2 boxes of 7.62 x 54. .22 ammo was $22 for a box of 325, I got 2.
Used guns all over at Cabelas. I thought $2495 for Harvester M1 was a bit high but I only gave $165 for mine.
Being from California it was almost shocking to see the selection of handguns and AR and AK pattern rifles available. The 20 and 30 round mags were an eye opener, 30s on sale at Cabelas for $12.77.
It was nice to handle a S&W Shield in .45 ACP.
Firearm prices seemed to be the same, a little under MSRP.
I work part time at BP so some of the differences from a merchandising standpoint were glaring to me.

Nice to walk around BP and sometimes some good sales on fishing gear (crankbait lures are prices identically to WalMart), but guns are priced for tourists(?). But every time I go (once every few months) there's hardly anyone there. LGS has better assortment and priced much less; you really can't beat the internet (GunBroker) for the most competitive pricing. IMHO.

Back