Bass Pro, Cabela's & Firearms

I may be lucky since I have a Bass Pro within about 15 minutes and a Cabela's within about 25 minutes, or maybe that makes me unlucky, who knows.

Bass Pro is consistently higher priced than Cabela's on most items unless you happen to catch some kind of 'sale'. and I won't buy from them unless it is a sale item. That almost never happens.
I'm just guessing but I'd bet that the pricing will go the way of Bass Pro in the end, and I'll not likely buy there any more but out of necessity.

I have picked up a couple of used hand guns from Cabela's for more than a fair price, and they do seem willing to haggle a little on their used offerings. I very much enjoy their gun library of used guns when I do stop in. You get to see and handle things that you wouldn't typically find, like their selection of drilling rifles, amazing. I'll miss that if they do away with it.

Beyond that, I've got other local options for most things. Small mom and pop shops who I would prefer to buy from anyway. They just don't have the buying power of a place like Cabela's, and you pay a bit more.
Sort of like shopping at Bass Pro. ;)

I've been a Cabela's customer since it was one store in a two story building facing south in Sidney with railroad tracks (east/west, I think) behind the store. I stopped there on a few western hunting trips.

Not good news

Visited Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabela's and concluded, as have many forum members, that Cabela's offers the best value.

I drive 30 miles farther to bypass a Bass Pro Shop (Denham Springs, LA) and get reloading supplies and .22 ammunition at Cabela's (Gonzales, LA). Cabela's staff are friendly, prices are near most online prices, and selection is more vast than at Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain.

After reading about Bass Pro Shop's acquisition of Cabela's, I foresee the firearms section losing quality service and selection and increasing prices.

Several years ago I browsed for used handguns at a Bass Pro Shop and was disgusted to see the non-negotiable cost of a used handgun equal to the cost of a new one. Wonder if Bass Pro Shops management reads comments about their low quality services and over-pricing. Probably don't care.

That is disappointing. I have thought for years it would be a good thing if our Bass Pro burnt down and was replaced with a Cabela's.

I have walked into Bass Pro, several times, with a pocket full of cash and walked out again because the five people standing behind the counter BS'ing could not be bothered to help me.

The only good thing about Bass Pro is the fish tank.

So, what happens to my Cabela's Visa Card?

So, what happens to my Cabela's Visa Card?

I would hate to see it go away,,,
Not that it's a better card or anything,,,
It's just that it's the only card I have used for 20 years now.

Aarond

I have all 3 of the Big stores within a 1.5hr drive. The farthest one is Cabelas and for me it is a pain to get to. BPS is about 40min. on average depending on traffic.

I had to recently go to BPS for some reloading supplies and the prices were high. Needed small pistol primers and they were the only place close by that had any. Ended up buying 200 and paid $4.99 per hundred. ouch! Then was going to load Berry's 9mm. BPS only stocks 2 types and only in 250ct. boxes. The Cabelas stocks them all.

I normally only go to BPS once a year in the spring to stock up on terminal fishing tackle and fishing line.

Brick and mortar stores, strictly on best deals on guns I would rank them first to last:

Academy
Big 5
PX
Walmart
Cabelas
Dunhams
Gander Mountain
Bass Pro
Dicks

Supposedly they, however that may be, will maintain the points system according to what seems to be appearing in the releases. We'll see for how long.

Another bit I noticed in on announcement related to Cabela's losing too much money on apparel. A local regional sporting goods company with three stores had the exact same problem maybe 15 years ago. The expanded from a smallish store with mostly hunting fishing supplies that had been in business since the 60's to a "full service" store with clothing, shoes and more sports related items in the late 1990's. They were out of business within 3 years.

I guess we as customers don't need the new seasons line of camo or more than one pair of $200 boots.

I got a number of great local gun shops, with two have extensive hunting supplies, boots, clothing, etc. Prices are better than the big stores with clerks that know their stuff.

I've been in Cabela's several times, Bass Pro once. Did not see anything at either place that tripped my trigger. There is a Field & Stream store about 70 miles away and again, not much there that I can't find local, at a better price.

Gander Mountain is a bit different than the larger stores-the ones I've been in, seem to cater to the dedicated sportsmen, with more workman like goods instead of the type of stuff the big stores seem to direct more towards wives to buy for their husbands or stuff the once a year deer hunter buys each year thinking his luck will be better.

I have two Gander Mountain stores near me and I've got to say that I am wholly unimpressed by them.
They're more proud of their stuff than either Cabela's or Bass Pro, and their prices prove it. Now I do understand that they're both fairly new stores, but their gun counter guys overall, don't seem very well versed in what they're peddling. I was in one once for my oldest to be able to handle some 1911s, specifically a Colt. When I asked the counter guy why they had every other manufacturer represented but not Colt, his response was that they were out of business.
He actually said that with a straight face, I'm guessing because he thought that he could sell me something from another manufacturer.
The attendant in the archery department on another occasion, laughed aloud when I asked if they had any cedar arrows or shafts. Not with me but at me.
When I'm thinking about making a purchase, they're not even a consideration.

every other manufacturer represented but not Colt, his response was that they were out of business.

Had a similar experience at Academy Sports where the gun counter guy said, “naw we ain’t got no Colts they only sell to the guberment”. :rolleyes:

Cabela's gun counter.

There is a SW 632 - which is a 327 mag. The sticker says it is a 22 LR.

I tell the young genius that the sticker is wrong. He says: No - a 63 is a 22 LR and the 2 means second generation. To be truthful - there is a 63-2 in 22 LR. But I say: Look at it. He gets quite huffy.

Another one, I've said before:

Dude comes in with female companion. He wants a pump shotgun. That's because (he sez) the racking will scare away the BGs. He also asks for some blanks if the ranking doesn't work. The clerk suggests rubber buckshot. I opine that they aren't up on shooting issues. Stares of hate are the result.

I've never expected a salesperson behind a gun counter at a big-box store to be an expert or experienced firearms owner.

Don't see a chocolate and fudge section at Cabelas.
The stores have a section.
I think the website does.
The catalog used to have one.

I love to stop at Cabela's on road trips. An elk burger, clean bathroom and a wife's size armful of heavily discounted pink and purple clothes later we are back on the road.

We just got a Cabela's 15 minutes from me, one of the new smaller stores. There is one 20 minutes further down the same highway and a Bass pro not much more than 20 minutes beyond that. As I understand it Bass Pro is shutting down that last store and replacing with a "destination" size store by the Cabela's about 35 minutes away. I'm guessing the other two Cabela's won't stay open. Too bad as between all three stores any emergency purchases were pretty much available.

Try Scheels

Guess I'm a bit surprised that nobody's mentioned Scheels. I shop the one in Billings, MT, whenever I get up there. It has most everything I need for reloading supplies and no sales tax, to boot. They have both new and use firearms for sale, too. Prices on stuff seem fair enough. There's also a Cabela's in Billings, too, but I'd rather spend my time and bucks at Scheels. There's also one in Rapid City, SD, that I've been to, but it's been a while since my last visit (sales tax at that one...) Ha!

Looks like Scheels has stores form Illinois, to Nevada. Check 'em out if you're near one.

First time I've heard about the Bass Pro/Cabela's deal here. Wow.

www.scheels.com

Guess I'm a bit surprised that nobody's mentioned Scheels

I use them for many things. They have good sales on flats of trap loads fairly often. They are generally also very helpful, unlike Bass Pro.

Back