basic revolver questions.

tahunua001

It is unfortunate that your only exposure to an NRA certified instructor led course was for your state Concealed Carry license certification. Often the state certification course(if there is one) is not up to the standards of an NRA certified course, but designed to be a Quick and dirty basic training and sanity/safety check on folks getting a state issued license.

Most states that have such a course rely on NRA certified instructors to teach those courses.

I know that the real NRA courses can be difficult to locate and costly to attend. I took my basic courses at a local gun club. I then had to travel 3 hours to a Boy Scout camp and stay overnight two weekends Friday morning to Sunday morning to complete all my instructor courses. The cost was about $600 for the basic instructor basic pistol instructor, basic Shotgun instructor and range safety officer (self study), food and lodging (4 nights) at the camp.

I was 48 years old at the time I took the certification courses. I had been an avid shooter since age 11 who took many first time shooters to my club and taught them basic safety and to shoot, rifles pistols and shotguns.

I found the NRA basic instructor course very very useful. In fact the basic instructor course will help you think about training people in your regular job differently. They will help you develop the Knowledge, Skills, and Attitude to properly train others in the safe use of firearms.

So I would advise you to check the NRA website for training in your area, You may also want to contact the Boy Scouts of America. The Boy Scouts only allow NRA certified instructors to run the ranges and the merit badge programs at their camps.

Many times the BSA chief range officer at a camp will be an NRA training counselor and will run basic courses for folks who are interested, in the hope that they will volunteer to help out at the camp in the summer months.

The cost of these BSA sponsored courses will be less than at a privately run club and the instructors have a great deal of experience training new shooters. You may also decide to help out with the camp range in the summer, its a great way to gain experience teaching (shotgun and rifle).

Hang in there Tahunua. I've appreciated your posts in the past, this one too and hope you continue to post.

There's a place for experience, but experience only counts when it's good experience. Continually practicing doing something incorrectly doesn't make you good at whatever you're doing, it just makes it more difficult when you eventually decide (or are forced) to learn how to do it right.

Absolutely, but I have seen it the other way too where the engineer is the one that has it totally screwed up.

You are correct, there must be a balance, But with no experience and the only education is from random people on the internet, that is a recipe for disaster. I too am an NRA instructor. The problem I see is that if you can stay awake for the class anyone can become an NRA instructor. I have been to several instructor level courses where the arrogant novice shows up and slows the whole class down. That is not who we need out there teaching other novices.

Back